Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: How about a transmission tuning tutorial!

Smile More info...

TCC apply/release:
    The TCC Apply and Release curves show a large step to 256 MPH at around 80% TPS; this is to have the TCC released above 80% throttle to prevent the TCC friction surface from burning out (there's only one surface); too much torque will overcome the TCC and make it slip.

WOT MPH and WOT RPM upshift:
    Keep in mind that WOT upshift requires that both WOT MPH and WOT RPM be met; set the WOT RPM to what you want to shift at (maybe subtract 200 RPM from it), calculate the MPH this corresponds to, and subtract say 10 MPH from this, and set this as the WOT MPH; this allows the MPH condition to be met first, and then the RPM condition triggers upshift; log data and fine tune.

Line pressure and PCS pressure:
    The PCS controls "Torque Signal" pressure which acts on the end of the Boost Valve which, via a spring, assists the Pressure Regulator valve; so while PCS pressure may range upto 95 psi, line pressure may range upto 220-250 psi (varies with different model of 4L60E and with shift kit); so if you have a shift kit installed, use Scan Tool Bi-Dir mode to command PCS current and observe line pressure tap using pressure gauge (remember as PCS current goes down, PCS pressure goes up); this gives you an idea of how line pressure ranges, and you can modify the Shift Pressure tables accordingly.

I do aplogize that I did not include the table id numbers, but soon I will do this and clean up the document.

Edit: Fixed some typos
    Last edited by joecar; January 21st, 2010 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Typos...

Joe,

Thanks for all your input. Maybe the EFI Live boys can put this in a tutorial after we spend a couple more weeks of info gathering.

I was always wondering the best way to get the WOT shifts worked out. It makes sense to set the MPH first to a MPH that you know you will hit for sure and then set the RPM for the actual shift point. Do I understand that correctly?

I would like to know a bit more as to which TM tables can get tweaked to firm up the shifts just a bit. Maybe we can do a step by step format similiar to how we doing PCM tuning. Jesse has me trained to start from the bottom and work up hitting every table on the way that needs initial adjustments and then go back to the ones that need adjusting for timing and fuel specifics.

Howard

www.redline-motorsports.net

1-954-703-5560

2006 ZO6 895/866 with APS TT
    2010 SSRS Camaro HTR-900TT (798/801)
    2011 HTR-850R Camaro
    2012 ZL1 Auto (10.33@135 MPH) Video Here!

Quote Originally Posted by Redline Motorsports
    It makes sense to set the MPH first to a MPH that you know you will hit for sure and then set the RPM for the actual shift point. Do I understand that correctly?
    Yes, that's correct; log a test run (at the strip, no doubt) and fine tune the WOT RPM points in each gear (not going to get to 4th).

Quote Originally Posted by Redline Motorsports
    I would like to know a bit more as to which TM tables can get tweaked to firm up the shifts just a bit
    Briefly, tweak the following:

a. shift pressures: increase tables D0701, D0702, D0703 by no more than 10%-25% above stock;
    if you increase further, pump has to work harder and wear life is reduced;

b. desired shift times: reduce tables D1108, D1109, D1110 to around 0.2s-0.3s;

c. torque reduction: reduce tables D0801, D0802, D0803;
    keep reducing these until you start getting tire chirp at 60-80% throttle (take your pick) on 1-2 and 2-3 shifts (if you can); if you reduce TR any further, then drivetrain will suffer (and rear end becomes uncontrollable ... if you reduce TR all the way to 0%, each shift will be brutal... ).

You may want to make the above changes less pronounced at low TPS, and more pronounced at high TPS.

Log and verify the following:
    1. PCS (psi) is not high at light throttle nor low at heavy throttle;
    2. Last Shift Time (s) matches the tables;
    3. TFT is staying below 190°F;

Not doing c. will make a. seem to not have effect.

If after a. and c. shift is not firming up, you need to monitor line pressure using gauge attached to tap on side of case, do Scan Tool Bi-Directional PCS test and compare gauge readings with spec (50-230 psi); if appreciably below this, trans. has pressure leak, and clutches/band will slip if significant torque is applied.

Cheers,
    Joe
    Last edited by joecar; January 18th, 2009 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Plagued by typos...

how / do you make power mode full manual and econ remain auto.? is this possible or do you need a shift kit

Hi all, Black02SS Ive taken your helpful idea and included all the new info from Joecar in this post and created a new PDF located here. Tutorial
    Get EFILive in europe (http://www.efilive.eu).
    2007 Escalade ESV L92 6.2L VVT.
    2014 VF SV LS3 Maloo.

Ringram,
    Chad,

I can't thank you both enough for packaging it up nice (with my avatar too, nice touch);
    my schedules at home (Mrs) and at work (boss) are insanely out of control, so I appreciate all the help.

And thanks also to the people that have asked questions, you made me write it down.

Regards and Cheers
    Joe

Awsome work guys!!!

Something that was brought to my attention by a fellow EFILive user...

When in SD mode, log the pid GM.TRQENG "Delivered Engine Torque" and make sure it looks sensible:
    a. it should never go negative,
    b. it should follow TPS, MAP, MAF in terms of engine output

(i.e. GM.TRQENG should look sane wrt to what engine is doing).

If it fails a. or b. above, then this is an indication that the airflow calculations are incorrect (I'm not sure exactly how the torque is calculated from airflow).

The problem is that the PCM may now be commanding in-gear line pressure too low allowing slipage which leads to failure very quickly.

So pay attention to this.

Nice job. This will get a lot of hits.

You might consider adding this:
    If you have installed a shiftkit, you should 0 out shift times. This will disable tranmission adaptive learning. I would 0 torque management, also.
    2003 red vert
    Mods:
    LS7 crate engine, wet sump, 24xx reluctor
    LPE 100mm MAF
    Vararam, cold air intake and bridge
    RPM Level 6/4L60e trans
    3.42 gears
    Yank SS3600
    1-7/8" AR headers
    Z06 exhaust
    470rwhp 437rwtq
    1/8th mi-1.526-60'-6.862-1/8th-@100.74mph

Quote Originally Posted by jfpilla
    Nice job. This will get a lot of hits.

You might consider adding this:
    If you have installed a shiftkit, you should 0 out shift times. This will disable tranmission adaptive learning. I would 0 torque management, also.
    Yes, feel free to add that too, and any helpful information.

I haven't put a shift kit in a PCM controlled trans., so I don't have direct experience with the effects of this on adaptive learning.

I would caution about removing TM althogether since it can be hard on the drivetrain (would require stronger parts in the trans. and on back).

If the trans. is fairly stock, I would reduce TM/TR some amount, but not all the way.

If trans. is built up, and driver doesn't mind the feel, then there's quite a few people who have zeroed out TM/TR with no problem.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast