Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Removing injection events - compensation?

Default Removing injection events - compensation?

When you guys remove the pre and/or post injection event, are you compensating by increasing duration on the main pulse?

Bear with me. I just got my EFILive 2 days ago and haven't flashed my ecm (or ECU, PCM, whatever we want to call it) yet because I'm wanting to fully understand my plan of attack on the tuning. I'm used to gasoline vehicle tuning with HPTuners, so I have some good base knowledge, but as yet it's my first run with EFILive and with a diesel. Thanks for the help.
    EFI Live, Maxxed Out auto trans, Edge TC, FASS, 35's, 4" lift, E.D. 62/68/12, 70 hp tips.

Yes you need to make differrents up the post

It's a nice writeup by dog house the post is EFILive for Dummies I hope that help. Welcome to the Efi live

Thanks a ton. I've read that. Now I really need to figure out more of the diesel- and Cummins-specific issues. Like I said I get most of the basics of how to tune but it is on gasoline vehicles. I've been doing some of the basics of tuning LS1 cars for a few years while my tuner buddy works the complex magic, but on the diesels I am less sure. I'd love to see some how-to's, such as modifying the injection events (like how to turn off each, and how to modify the main to compensate - for those who don't get it at all - I don't think that's me but we'll see haha), and maybe eventually I'd love to see us come up with kind of table showing how much fuel and timing various tuners give at various levels, to give newer members a guide but still leaving them to learn how to tune.
    Last edited by AdamRRT; September 9th, 2011 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Formatting issues.
    EFI Live, Maxxed Out auto trans, Edge TC, FASS, 35's, 4" lift, E.D. 62/68/12, 70 hp tips.

Adam, actually some of the tutorials that were done for the Duramax a number of years ago are also applicable for the Cummins in concept. Maybe also trying searching the internet for Duramax Tuning tips.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Excellent. Thanks for all the help, guys. I feel welcome already!

Turning an injection event off just requires zeroing out all the quantity tables. Turning off post is no big deal. You can tune to make up the difference, but not needed. Pilot is a whole different ball game. Turn it off, start your truck and your in for a terrible surprise. Then you need to compensate with timing big time. I've gotten my truck to run on a single injection event only, as well as two other trucks. But the two other trucks white smoke on cold startup for 3-5 seconds in cold temps and we've tried getting rid of it the way we did initially with no luck. Mine doesn't do it. We're still working on it.

Anyways, where I'm at now, is widening out the main (single) went in lieu of dropping pilot and post off, to create a bigger power event. Making it worth it another words. Hope this is a bit insightful,

-Andrew
    06 5.9L, EFILive / Silver Bullet Tuning
    06 LBZ, EFILive

Here I don't see much advantage in shutting off pilot completely. I have it zeroed out above 2,800 and 100mm3 dice that is where your full throttle power is going to be. This way you still have the nice clean smooth running down low and have a single event up top. Now post I've turned off to increase mpg. In sled pulling or racing I'll work with post down low to help build heat into the turbo to help it spool. Then pre and post shut off when I give it full throttle.
    Dan's Diesel Performance
    www.dansdieselperformance.com

^^^^^^^^^^

This is exactly how I'm set up...except I'm running no pilot above 2600 and 110mm3...but same concept.
    A well placed pilot event can/will help spool largish chargers better than a single event will.

~Les
    Les Szmidt
    2007 5.9 Dodge Ram
    2014 Ram 3500 Aisin tuning Emissions Equipped
    EFI Live Cummins BETA Tester
    Silver Bullet Tuning
    silverbullettuning@gmail.com
    www.youtube.com/ljszmidt
    http://www.facebook.com/SilverBulletTuninig

i also have my post completely turned off, but i have pilot killed after 2600 rpms. no issues here.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast