Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Removing injection events - compensation?

Excellent info guys. I'm sure it has a great clanging idle when using no pilot, right?
    So it looks like I should just use pilot on idle and up through my daily driving powerband. Can I reduce it some to increase mpg?
    And I assume you guys phase out the pilot rather than suddenly drop it off?
    If so, what rpm range are you using to phase it out? 400? 500?

When you are without pilot, you're just leaving the duration and timing of the pilot & main where they would be as if they had a post event?

On the trucks that are smoking with no pilot, why not just let them keep the pilot event at idle?

Thanks again fellas. I really appreciate the help. Like I said I grasp timing, duration, pressure. Just where to put them on an oil burner Is still a work in progress for me.
    EFI Live, Maxxed Out auto trans, Edge TC, FASS, 35's, 4" lift, E.D. 62/68/12, 70 hp tips.

Leaving pilot off actually makes the truck start easier. But it's more so for the principle of it, the challenge. I know there are nay sayers, but I just want to see if I can make my theory work in my head.

Also, if we were to switch to a cam where the lobes aren't ground to overlap the exhaust valve when the intake starts to open to leak exhaust gas back into cylinder like Cummins did to pull off the in-cylinder egr, would we need to do anything to post?
    06 5.9L, EFILive / Silver Bullet Tuning
    06 LBZ, EFILive

Hopefully next week Ill have the 2nd gen cam in. So no more EGR!
    06 2500 SLT 4x4 , G56, 105,000 miles, 2nd exhaust manifold, 2nd gen air intake horn, SBC 3600 DD, I. I. 90HP Sticks, straight pipe, manual high idle mod, custom air intake , and pretty much everything else engine wise is stock... LEARNING EFI LIVE

Quote Originally Posted by icem237 View Post
    Hopefully next week Ill have the 2nd gen cam in. So no more EGR!
    Nice! Update us, of course! I'll actually be in your town the first weekend of Nov.

Still wanting to know if anybody can help with these questions:
    Are you guys phasing out the pilot rather than suddenly dropping it off?
    If so, across how many rpm are you phasing it out? 400? 500?

When you are without post, you're just leaving the duration and timing of the pilot & main where they would be as if they had a post event?
    Last edited by AdamRRT; September 10th, 2011 at 10:49 AM. Reason: I had mis-worded my last sentence.
    EFI Live, Maxxed Out auto trans, Edge TC, FASS, 35's, 4" lift, E.D. 62/68/12, 70 hp tips.

I'll let one of the other guys chime in if they wish about phasing it out. Running without pilot, either all the time or just at top end, I can run more timing and fuel for the lack of pilot (more room to work with essentially.)
    06 LBZ, EFILive

Makes perfect sense to me, FUBAR. I was thinking the same thing. More duration and timing to work with to get it just right. Are you seeing any advantage to a single inj event during daily driving? Or just at WOT at upper RPMs?
    Last edited by AdamRRT; September 10th, 2011 at 10:50 AM.

i phased it out between 2200-2400rpm (smoothed it out) so its turned off completely by 2600rpm. i think alls u have to zero is the quanity, but i did timing also from 2600rpm and up. hope this helps

Daily driving you have the sound novelty factor and your injectors aren't firing as much which prolongs the life of them. Mileage wise, I drove 200 miles in mountainous terrain on the interstate traveling 80mph the whole way, 3 stops, and I end up hand calculating 19.75 mpg. My Mega weighs 7,600 lbs with me in it, auto, 3.73 gears, intake, exhaust. That was 2.5 mpg better than any tune I could get with pilot on.
    06 LBZ, EFILive

Fubar can send a screen shot on how you set that pilot up to make it street-able. Our IM me

Advance timing, and look at crank timing. The rest is up to the eye of the beholder becuase it's wide open depending on one's theory.
    06 LBZ, EFILive

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast