Thread: Connecting V2 / Laptop to vehicle power

Default Connecting V2 / Laptop to vehicle power

On the instructions it says to check difference between output from OBD2 port and laptop power supply or damage to the V2 may result.

Can I get a 12v charger for the laptop and use it (not through an inverter) or is there something more to it to protect the V2. Id like to run V2 through the laptop but need power. What is the best way to do this?
    2004 VY SS M6 Ute. Stock 5.7lt LS1, 80mm TB, Tri Y extractors to twin 2.5" exhaust, 3.9 diff. NGK Iridium plugs, 9.5mm leads, DuSpeed OTR
    Dual AEM WBO2, V2 EFILive

Lifetime Member

If all is well, there is no problem, but if the inverter somehow messes up and tries to use the FlashScan as a ground wire things can go very wrong. Either run a ground from the laptop to the car so the FlashScan is not the shortest path or be really careful. Some people have used an inverter for years with no problems, others have sent me their V2s for repair. If you decide to just use an extension cord plugged into the wall, make sure the car itself doesn't connect to anything else, no battery chargers or corded lights hanging from the hood. The worst failures have been cars on dynos with computers plugged into the wall. It works fine most of the time, it's just really bad when it doesn't.

Ira

Thanks for clarifying. Im looking at getting a 12v (cigarette type) laptop charger and I will now keep the inverter to power other things. The V1 ran no problems but didn't come with a warning like the V2 did.

2004 VY SS M6 Ute. Stock 5.7lt LS1, 80mm TB, Tri Y extractors to twin 2.5" exhaust, 3.9 diff. NGK Iridium plugs, 9.5mm leads, DuSpeed OTR
    Dual AEM WBO2, V2 EFILive