Thread: Computer to Computer

Default Computer to Computer

Ok heres my problem. I can setup the Pid for the black box. I take it off the computer and go log come back retrive the info to the computer and everything but I get mostly N/A on the pids. On the laptop i acutally go connect to the truck with the cable on the lab top then select my pid's, take it off the laptop and log. As long as I retrieve everything back to the lap top it shows everything just fine. Is there something I can do for it to work on my in house computer.

I have tried everything it seems just cant it get it to work. :?:

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Have you performed the "Validate PIDs" option using FlashScan?

Basically the validate PIDs option sets up the FlashScan cable to query the PCM for a list of valid PIDs. When you reconnect FlashScan to your PC, and selec tthe [Uplaod] option, the list of valid PIDs is loaded into EFILive and then EFILive will know which PIDs are valid and which are not.

Another way to achieve the same result, is to copy the *.vpl and *.vml files from the PIDs folder on your laptop to your desktop. Those two files contain the validated PID list (*.vpl) and validated module list (*.vml) for the vehicle with the VIN that matches the filenames.

It is the *.vpl file that is updated when you perform the PID validation.

Regards
    Paul

sorry now the laptop isnt even replaying all the pids.

Ok if im hooked up to the truck with the laptop all the PID are working while on pause or rec but if i log without the laptop and try to retrieve from the black box not all pids are working.

Any secerts i need to know about?

After you uplaod the logged data from FlashScan, go to the [PIDs (F8)] tab page, and see if any PIDs have a red X through their icon.

If so, can you post a list of the PIDs that are selected?

To quickly get a list of the selected PIDs fromt he [PIDs (F8)] tab page:
    1. Sort the PIDs by clicking in the "Description" header.
    2. Click on the first selected PID.
    3. Hold the shift key down and click on the last selected PID.
    4. Selet menu option "Edit->Copy" (or press Ctrl+C).

Then paste the data between
    Code:
     and
    tags in your next reply in this thread.

Paul

Paul none of the PID I was logging have red x's on them. The PID are there they just show not to be selected. The pids are grey.

I just realized i havent downloaded the recent version does that have anything to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by 87gmc
    Paul none of the PID I was logging have red x's on them. The PID are there they just show not to be selected. The pids are grey.
    If the PID icons are grey, then that means the PID is not selected. If you have uploaded a log file from FlashScan, then the PIDs logged by flashScan are automatically selected and should not be grey.

As soon as you click the [Retrieve] button to read the log files from FlashScan all the PIDs (as listed on the [PIDs] tab page of the "Retrieve black box log files" window, should show as selected in the [PIDs (F8)] tab page.

Then, when you select a log file and click on [Preview], the log file and it's PID data should be displayed in the main Scan Tool window. (Note you do not have to close the "Retrieve black box log files" window to interact with the previewed data.

I just realized i havent downloaded the recent version does that have anything to do with it.
    It *may* do, when you do download it, select the [Reset] option in the "FlashScan control panel" window. That will reset flashScan's memory, just in case it has been messed up by a previous version of EFILive.
    Afte you reset the memory, select the [Logging] button to reprogram the selected PIDs into FlashScan. then try logging and uploading the data again.

There is also an option the verify/test the memory in FlashScan to make sure it is ok. I also recommend performing that test.

Regards
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky
    Have you performed the "Validate PIDs" option using FlashScan?

Basically the validate PIDs option sets up the FlashScan cable to query the PCM for a list of valid PIDs. When you reconnect FlashScan to your PC, and selec tthe [Uplaod] option, the list of valid PIDs is loaded into EFILive and then EFILive will know which PIDs are valid and which are not.

Another way to achieve the same result, is to copy the *.vpl and *.vml files from the PIDs folder on your laptop to your desktop. Those two files contain the validated PID list (*.vpl) and validated module list (*.vml) for the vehicle with the VIN that matches the filenames.

It is the *.vpl file that is updated when you perform the PID validation.

Regards
    Paul
    Paul I did the copy and paste thing and most of the pids work. Some are still not being valid anything else i can. The copy and paste did validate some but not all.

Chris

Paul I did the copy and paste thing and most of the pids work. Some are still not being valid anything else i can. The copy and paste did validate some but not all.
    Chris
    Not all PIDs will be validated. Only about 230 PIDs will be valid for most LS1s.

Note: The copy and paste Idescribed earlier was just a technique to list the PIDs in this thread. Doing the copy and paste will not validate any PIDs.
    I presume you actually meant copying the *.vpl file from your laptop to your desktop.

Regards
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky
    Chris
    Not all PIDs will be validated. Only about 230 PIDs will be valid for most LS1s.

Note: The copy and paste Idescribed earlier was just a technique to list the PIDs in this thread. Doing the copy and paste will not validate any PIDs.
    I presume you actually meant copying the *.vpl file from your laptop to your desktop.

Regards
    Paul
    I copied from laptop the .vpl files. The files had part of vin number from the vehicle. It did work to an extent, somemore PID showed up but some were still N/A when i went back to play the blackbox. Works fine on the laptop but not the home computer