Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible ways of tuning the LML?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Possible ways of tuning the LML?

I know it has been discussed that and said that the LML ECM can no longer be read out due to the new coding in the ECM that prevents reading. What about using a ROADRUNNER type set-up installed into the ECM? I see MOATES is still selling them on there site, and thought that maybe this could be a way of doing this. Or what about getting some tuners in the states equipped to open the ECM physically and read out the tune, then they could in turn put the tune on a flash drive or something and send it back to the customer for tuning? This would still allow the owner of the vehicle to use HIS tune out of his ECM, but he would have a copy of it that he could now adjust accordingly and then flash into his truck. I'm not trying to open a can of worms here, just trying to throw ideas as I know ALOT of LML owners would really like to be able to use EFILIVE on there new trucks to make them exactly how they want them.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

You probably need to search the internet on BMW EDC17 and see just what all the fuss is about when it comes to this ECM.
    Here's a good start: http://www.cmdtec.it/prod_bootMEDC17.asp

You also need to appreciate that at some point it just becomes too hard and we need to move on to other more accessible platforms, I know EFILive is not alone here. Sure you might feel that EFILive has abandoned LML owners, but please, it wasn't us that stuck that ECM in the truck. Also, the LML ECM cannot be ordered through GM, they won't sell them to you, so I sure would not be putting my hand up to be pulling them apart to use something like that CMD box on one.
    Finally, the flash memory is internal in the CPU, there is nothing a Road Runner type device could connect on to.

This ECM was designed to stop tuners, simple as that.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

This ECM was designed to stop tuners, simple as that.[/QUOTE] Do you fear at all that the manufactures will make this more of a trend in the future? Not just diesels but gas as well?
    1997 S10, 06 trailblazer SS LS2 swap, 4L70E trans, 76mm turbo. Factory ZQ8 suspension. 3.08, G80 w/a zexel. With a 0411 swap.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    You probably need to search the internet on BMW EDC17 and see just what all the fuss is about when it comes to this ECM.
    Here's a good start: http://www.cmdtec.it/prod_bootMEDC17.asp

You also need to appreciate that at some point it just becomes too hard and we need to move on to other more accessible platforms, I know EFILive is not alone here. Sure you might feel that EFILive has abandoned LML owners, but please, it wasn't us that stuck that ECM in the truck. Also, the LML ECM cannot be ordered through GM, they won't sell them to you, so I sure would not be putting my hand up to be pulling them apart to use something like that CMD box on one.
    Finally, the flash memory is internal in the CPU, there is nothing a Road Runner type device could connect on to.

This ECM was designed to stop tuners, simple as that.
    I'm not up to date on much involving the EDC17 ECM, just had a thought that I thought might allow EFILIVE to expand into a market that many people want. I understand from a business perspective you have to do what is most beneficial to your company though. I have no dog in this fight per say as I'm still old school LB7 DELPHI ECM.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

Quote Originally Posted by slows10 View Post
    Do you fear at all that the manufactures will make this more of a trend in the future? Not just diesels but gas as well?
    Not for a few years on the gas stuff. GM has moved away from Bosch on the gas cars back to in-house designs so the horrors of what Bosch can do are gone.
    None of this would be an issue if we could execute our own bootloader on the Bosch ECM's, but you can't, so whatever they say must go.

Quote Originally Posted by THEFERMANATOR View Post
    I understand from a business perspective you have to do what is most beneficial to your company though.
    There is the legalities of it too, someone at GM is going to ask the question on how these trucks are being tuned when the program cannot be read out of them.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    There is the legalities of it too
    Is this being considered the same way as satelite card hacking?
    Michael, Systems Engineer 04.5 D-max LLY, Phoenix, Arizona Email
    Custom Tuning Services
    DURAMAX/CUMMINS ECM's TCM's for sale, all years, 20% wholesale discount available
    EFILive's first VGT "Software Wastegate Tune"

It was mega gay of GM to do that. Blame them. So sad
    '12 Caprice PPV 6.0 L77 - daily transportation
    8.7 @ 84 (1/8 mile) bolt-ons

'02 Silverado RCSB 5.3 L59 - regularly street driven
    8.2 @ 86 (1/8 mile) stock cam and spray
    8.6 @ 84 (1/8 mile) cam and heads no spray

Our YOUTUBE CHANNEL featuring the Silverado

I also see GM's point of view on this subject as well. look at what happened with FORD and the 6.0L. How many of the 6.0L problems were due to tuners and such that pushed the engine over the edge and then those people would go to the dealership expecting it to get fixed. FORD would see that it had been modified with aftermarket performance parts and void the warranty and stick teh customer with the bill as they rightly should(you play you pay). So the customer now badmouths FORD every chance he gets saying how they make a POS, when the problem was brought on because of teh customers addition of performance parts. In the end the customer gets a HUGE bill or a broken truck, and FORD got a HUG black eye and bad publicity. I realize not all of the 6.0L PS problems were due to adding power, but a large portion of them were. GM just decided to go one step furthur beyond there old methods of trace files to keep tabs, and blocked the ECM to cut people off at the pass. Yes it angers some owners who want more power, but in the end it can keep GM from getting a black eye from limped ALLISONS and engine repairs.

Theres 2 sides to every situation.

FORD Australia have flash counters in their ECM's for the Turbo 6 gas motor they do out here, I'm told by someone at a FORD dealership it's caught plenty of false warranty claims. So yeah, I see GM's side of it as far as that goes, but, not everyone thinks like that either.

Agree with both of you, but consider this: The '01 - '10 Duramax and Allison has been modified extensively, yet NO ONE is bad mouthing the quality of those, or GM for not covering obvious racing damage. Ford should have made a better quality product with the 6.0. I know there are many Allisons that have been limped or destroyed, but customers understand it's because the power is doubled, and the engines are still not blowing up left and right. I always gave GM tremendous credit for building products that were reasonably reliable even severely modded, and now I say: gay move GM lol but I understand. People love performance and modding. My 63 year or stepfather has a build LMM, and he will never buy and LML...
    '12 Caprice PPV 6.0 L77 - daily transportation
    8.7 @ 84 (1/8 mile) bolt-ons

'02 Silverado RCSB 5.3 L59 - regularly street driven
    8.2 @ 86 (1/8 mile) stock cam and spray
    8.6 @ 84 (1/8 mile) cam and heads no spray

Our YOUTUBE CHANNEL featuring the Silverado

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast