Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible ways of tuning the LML?

Not to bring this thread back from the dead, but to anyone who has an LML.....If you really want to tune your LML, buy LMM heads, injectors, fuel system, ECM, and engine-bay wiring harness. Swap the heads/fuel system onto the LML short block, swap wiring harnesses (the LMM engine bay/ECM harness will plug into the LML body/underhood fuse box, just like swapping a Dmax into a suburban/tahoe), and away you go. All of the LML body electronics/databusses are compatible with the LMM ECM, etc...

You could probably even do the swap in a weekend, because its all bolt-on/plug-and-play.

If I had the money, I would definitely buy an LML and do that just for grins... If you buy the LMM parts used/junk yard, it really wouldnt cost that much either. And then you get the sweet 2011+ chassis/transmission/drivetrain and stuff...while being able to tune it with EFILive. I even already have all of the necessary parts sitting in various piles around my shop...if anyone around New England has an LML and wants to get crazy with it, let me know...Ill do the swap for free.

ben
    2005 Silverado, CC/SB, 4x4, LT, LILLY/Allison
    12.9s @ 108 mph

many thanks to Ross and Paul

Ben, funny you should bring this up. Yesterday I was speaking to someone who has a tuning package from a European company for European cars. They actually support tuning for the LML as it's an EDC17 variant (well, they can read and flash them, no editor as such). I said to him that I had one here if he wanted to borrow it to play around, but to be able to use this tuning package you need to pull the ECM apart and put it in to boot mode whenever you want to read or flash it.
    So I offered to hook the wire up for him (see picture below as supplied by he's tuner). Now, I have been soldering for 25+ years, I have a really nice Hakko professional station, and I managed to ruin the board.
    The moment the iron touched the pad shown it lifted off the PCB ruining any chance of using this ECM with he's tuner. Imagine needing to do this any time you wanted to program the ECM (in the truck too), if this is the future of programming for GM Diesels, it's looking very bleak. We can only hope that when GM start selling the Diesel Cruze or Diesel Cadillac CTS in the USA it's not using one of these horrid ECM's too.
    Now before anyone starts a "why can't you just" thread again, EFILive is NOT going to be supporting the LML, all complaints (which would fall on deaf ears) should be directed to GM or Bosch.

Cheers,
    Ross

I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

N0DIH could solder on that board
    Cal Editor aka A.J.
    Lead Calibrator at PCM Calibrators
    ASE Master Certified since 1988 -- ASE L1, F1 & A9
    GM Technician since 1999 -- GM World Class Technician since 2009
    CNG Installer -- CSA Inspector
    A handful of people out there who do have an intimate knowledge of GM Calibrations

Perhaps it was my hatred for the ECM that trying to solder it with a hammer in my left hand wasn't a good idea
    You guys were working on something for them right? How's it coming along?
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Tom solders cell phone parts with a Microscope
    Cal Editor aka A.J.
    Lead Calibrator at PCM Calibrators
    ASE Master Certified since 1988 -- ASE L1, F1 & A9
    GM Technician since 1999 -- GM World Class Technician since 2009
    CNG Installer -- CSA Inspector
    A handful of people out there who do have an intimate knowledge of GM Calibrations

From what I've read, it's possible to flash the ECM, but not read, the inability to read is an OS thing, not a hardware thing, and the primary (if not only) reason EFILive will not support the LML is because without the ability to read the ECM, the only way to support it would be to distribute the GM tunes with EFILive, which would be a violation of the TIS2Web EULA and would almost certainly bring GM down on you, correct? Out of curiosity, is it possible to flash an OS without disturbing the tuning? If that's possible, what about writing a 'custom' OS (like a DSP2 or something, even if there was no way to actually use the '2' function) that can be flashed which would then allow a read to be able to tune? Or maybe something like 'blindly' flashing a patch to the OS (I'd assume the handheld tuners out there for hte LML do something similar to this)? Honestly, I have no dog in this 'fight' and really could care less if the LML ever gets tuning support. I do not have one, nor will I ever (I'll never have anything newer than an 07 Classic, even though the new trucks are very nice). It's just my curiosity.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    Now before anyone starts a "why can't you just" thread again, EFILive is NOT going to be supporting the LML, all complaints (which would fall on deaf ears) should be directed to GM or Bosch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cougar281 View Post
    ....is it possible to flash an OS without disturbing the tuning? If that's possible, what about writing a 'custom' OS (like a DSP2 or something.....
    Happy to leave this thread open for others to discuss what they find out there on the internet for the LML, but please understand this ECM is like poison to anyone operating in the USA. 99% of people just want to pull off the DPF, Urea etc, for that very reason I am glad we don't support it given the current political views on smoking Diesel trucks. Sometimes there is more to overcome than technical problems.

Quote Originally Posted by CalEditor View Post
    Tom solders cell phone parts with a Microscope
    To be honest, I wasn't upset, gave me a good excuse to stick the ECM back away at the bottom of a box somewhere, outta sight, outta mind.

Lifetime Member

Ben whats the difference in the heads? It woudn't be that bad if LMM injectors would go in them, did they get a redesign for the injector hole?
    04 LB7
    2010 LMM
    2015 LML

Quote Originally Posted by rcr1978 View Post
    Ben whats the difference in the heads? It woudn't be that bad if LMM injectors would go in them, did they get a redesign for the injector hole?
    the injector bores in the LML heads are completely different size/shape to fit the new piezo injectors.
    2005 Silverado, CC/SB, 4x4, LT, LILLY/Allison
    12.9s @ 108 mph

many thanks to Ross and Paul

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    Ben, funny you should bring this up. Yesterday I was speaking to someone who has a tuning package from a European company for European cars. They actually support tuning for the LML as it's an EDC17 variant (well, they can read and flash them, no editor as such).
    That must be Denny lol
    '12 Caprice PPV 6.0 L77 - daily transportation
    8.7 @ 84 (1/8 mile) bolt-ons

'02 Silverado RCSB 5.3 L59 - regularly street driven
    8.2 @ 86 (1/8 mile) stock cam and spray
    8.6 @ 84 (1/8 mile) cam and heads no spray

Our YOUTUBE CHANNEL featuring the Silverado

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast