Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible ways of tuning the LML?

Quote Originally Posted by Boost View Post
    Agree with both of you, but consider this: The '01 - '10 Duramax and Allison has been modified extensively, yet NO ONE is bad mouthing the quality of those, or GM for not covering obvious racing damage. Ford should have made a better quality product with the 6.0. I know there are many Allisons that have been limped or destroyed, but customers understand it's because the power is doubled, and the engines are still not blowing up left and right. I always gave GM tremendous credit for building products that were reasonably reliable even severely modded, and now I say: gay move GM lol but I understand. People love performance and modding. My 63 year or stepfather has a build LMM, and he will never buy and LML...
    Go to any of the forums and read about people with LB7's having warranty claims denied and how the people bad mouth GM because they didn't get injectors because of a tuner being installed. Theres plenty of cases of people putting in a PPE hot +2 and frying the trans and crying when GM wouldn't rebuild it when they checked the ECM trace files and found the tune being installed. There are LOTS of owners of ALL brands of trucks who mod there trucks and then bad mouth the manufacturers when they won't fix them when they see there 5" exhaust covered in soot, bald tires with rubber all over the fenders from burnouts, air intakes, or they can see the power boxes stacked i nthere trucks still. It's happening with all of them, so I can't really blame GM for blocking the ECM, but I do agree it is a "gay move". If I had just bought a $60K truck and wanted to tune it but couldn't because of the manufacturer blocking it I would be upset too.

Mods, feel free to close this thread as I know you don't want this one to end up like the last LML tuning discussion. I was just throwing out an idea that came to my mind.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    There is the legalities of it too
    Is this being considered the same way as satelite card hacking?
    Michael, Systems Engineer 04.5 D-max LLY, Phoenix, Arizona Email
    Custom Tuning Services
    DURAMAX/CUMMINS ECM's TCM's for sale, all years, 20% wholesale discount available
    EFILive's first VGT "Software Wastegate Tune"

Not sure I can make the link on that comparison.
    Our stance on the legalities (for the umpteenth time) is the ECM cannot be read via the OBDII port, end of story there. I cannot say for sure if the ECM can be read by pulling it apart and hooking on equipment to read it that way using what is known as BDM (not always possible on the TriCore CPU it uses by the way). So how is a company supposed to get the stock tunes to then re-distribute to customers? TIS2WEB clearly states in the T&C that any means of copying or distributing the files downloaded from TIS to your PC during a reflash is illegal.
    Whilst we appreciate people might think of some scenario that it might be possible, the term flogging a dead horse comes to mind as the response.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Perhaps if the manufacturer allowed the vehicle to be tuned by an agreement with the current owner. The legal owner would have to submit a form and the actual ECM out of the vehicle. Then GM could "unlock" it or give the owner a base file to start with along with an immediate warranty block. That way the current owner has the vehicle branded while he is in possesion of the vehicle. Nobody down the line of ownership could be accused of being the one that "messed up" the warranty. If you want to play you would need to pay and become responsible. This way of modifying ECU's is done in other performance vehicles already. I know this won't sit very good with everyone, but it could be a solution that takes the burden off of the tuning company.
    AL
    "Trash that carb and get Injected!"

I don't know what to say. I could think of a few ways around it, but you would still need tuning software that would tune the calibration. It's not like you can just change a table and flash it in. The CVN and the Checksum will need to be corrected.
    Cal Editor aka A.J.
    Lead Calibrator at PCM Calibrators
    ASE Master Certified since 1988 -- ASE L1, F1 & A9
    GM Technician since 1999 -- GM World Class Technician since 2009
    CNG Installer -- CSA Inspector
    A handful of people out there who do have an intimate knowledge of GM Calibrations

CalEditor, checksums and flashing is not the problem here. Getting the tune is the issue.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

It sounds like a the same thing as the 6.5L have, but if EFILive doesn't support this then you need to get the checksum redone.
    Cal Editor aka A.J.
    A handful of people out there who do have an intimate knowledge of GM Calibrations

How do you reverse engineer without a BDM?
    Cal Editor aka A.J.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    CalEditor, checksums and flashing is not the problem here. Getting the tune is the issue.
    If you supported these trucks, couldnt you leave it up to the customer to aquire a factory tune?

Sorry about all the questions from the LML guys. We just really need support, and are willing to do whatever we need to.

Pretty please with a cherry on top.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast