Thread: WB02 Location Question

Question WB02 Location Question

I have a 2001 C5 and would like to know if it makes any difference locating the WB02 on the left or right bank when tuning. I know that the WB02 should be located ahead of the catalytic converter but was just wondering if the more experienced tuners had a preference or found a difference.

In theory, it shouldn't matter whether you locate a wide band sensor on the left or right side because both banks should receive the same amount of fuel and air, and consequently show the same AFR. In actuality it's not unusual for there to be slight differences between left and right side AFRs. Unfortunately, there aren't any tables available to allow individual injector tuning, so you can't tune out a serious mismatch between left and right side AFRs. For general tuning, the best bet is to check both sides to ensure they're the same (or at least close). If they aren't, it could be an indication that all injector flow rates aren't the same, in which case the injectors should be flow checked. Once you've determined that there isn't a significant left-right side AFR difference you should be able to tune with no problems.

One other thought, a significant difference between left and right side AFRs could be a result of wide band O2 sensor fitting placement. As an example, if there's a significant difference in the depth of the sensor in the exhaust stream, or if one sensor is located in a turbulent area while the other is positioned in a calm area, there could be differences in readings because one sensor sees a homogenized mixture while the other doesn't. This generally isn't a problem if the sensors are mounted in the same relative location on each side.
    DigitalEFI- EFILive US Distributor
    sales@digitalefi.com
    678/344-1590

I have an '04 Z06 with LG long tubes, 3in high flows, 3in X-pipe, I mounted two bungs for the LC-1 and take samples from both sides of the engine. Seems to work well. Just my $.02
    2004 Z06 LG pro long tubes w/3" highflow cats, 3" X-Pipe, WCC Hurricane Ram Air, GMPP 60.7cc CC heads, P&P 250cc intake, 85cc Exhaust, CompCams .571/.573 228/230 LSA110. MagnaCharger 5psi boost. 521 RWHP 493 RWTQ

i put mine right in the x-pipe. no discrimination between cylinder banks.
    408,TH-400 manual shift, two stage NOS, 4.10\'s, blah blah blah

Thumbs up

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I may run two bungs to check the left and right side.