Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E67 models

Default E67 models

On another post I had asked for opinions on which ECM would be good for a custom OS non GM DBW turbo L4 build I am doing.
    It looks like the E67 has the resolution and output controls I need.
    While I may\will have more technical questions down the line, my first is rather simple.
    For the purpose of scavenging all the GM parts I need to fit this engine out- which models came with the E67?

Thanks in advance- Tim H
    Thanks in advance- The Spindoctor (Tim H)
    Back ground-Mustang AWD500 Dyno- Over 500 tunes on systems including: Autronic, MoTec, AEM,COBB,Haltec, Electromotive,Greddy, Microtech (to name just a few)and now EFI Live!

Lifetime Member

Attachment 11210 I believe this one is E67. 2006 Cobalt, and Saturn ion.
    1997 S10, 06 trailblazer SS LS2 swap, 4L70E trans, 76mm turbo. Factory ZQ8 suspension. 3.08, G80 w/a zexel. With a 0411 swap.

Lifetime Member

Thats going to be a P12 if its really an 06 tune, Cobalt SS and Saturn Ion Redlines were P12s until 07. Then they went Bosch DI.

Tim, for your purposes have a look at the supported vehicles page on the www.efilive.com website, should help you narrow your vehicle selection down a bunch.

Does this engine have VVT? If it does then a Cobalt (non SS)/Malibu/G5/Solstice/Sky/Ion (non redline) 2.4L I4 or a 2.7L I4 from a Colorad/Canyon/H3 tune will work. Even if it does not, you can set any of these OSs to park the cams at 0* (essentially making the ECM ignore VVT) and disable related DTCs as there isnt a VVT actuator.

PM me if you want to, Im usually on here a few times a day!
    Last edited by ScarabEpic22; June 22nd, 2011 at 05:34 PM.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

The Cobalt SC model 2.0ltr Vin P looks to be a good engine match.
    The ECM in my AllData for this model looks more like an E40 GenIV
    The ECM for the 2.4 NA VIN B looks like an E67
    Any issues with the E40?

This first build will be kept simple with a single cam, 8 valve engine.
    Working out my torque control design will be less complex.
    The next build, should my design work out, would\may include multiple variable cam controls.
    Back ground-Mustang AWD500 Dyno- Over 500 tunes on systems including: Autronic, MoTec, AEM,COBB,Haltec, Electromotive,Greddy, Microtech (to name just a few)and now EFI Live!

Lifetime Member

EFILive's COS for the E40 has a hard limit of ~139% in the Boost VE table, so you cant really get into boost with it. E40 is also 24x/1x instead of 58x/4x so you'd have to swap reluctors for a 24x one.

Cobalt SC NEVER used the E40, the P12 looks almost identical to the E40 (and Duramax LLY ECM) but internally they are VERY different. The connectors interchange IIRC, but thats about all that does.

Id use the 2.4L tune and adjust the cylinder displacement down to 2.0L so you can use the E67. The E38/E67s have what you need with the right crank resolution plus factory boost support. No sense trying to reinvent the wheel, pick a stock tune that will work with your application (so a I4 engine) and have a dealership flash an E67 with that OS (EFILive/HPTuners cannot full flash E40/38/67s between different platforms so you cannot take an E67 from a TBSS and use EFILive to full flash a Malibu OS into it, wont work). Better yet, find an E67 off eBay that has a Malibu/etc I4 OS in it already so you can cut the dealer part out (unless you have access to a Tech II). Adjust the displacement to fit your needs, disable VVT, kill any DTCs, setup a conservative spark map, and set the injectors up. Should get you a close ballpark, then tune it accordingly.
    ~Erik~
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.

Sorry-
    It was the 2006 ION 2.0 SC Vin P that looked like the E40 or E60 case.
    If the malibu 2.2 Vin F has the E67 then that would be a good one to get as my next project will most likely be a flat six and the same unit should work there.

E37 or E67 would be fine, both use 58x crank, both will run up to 255kPa manifold pressure and both have factory programs for 4 cyl or 6 cyl (E67 has straight 6 and V6).
    Technically there is not much difference between them, the E67 was GM's premium ECM with the most inputs and outputs, however tuning wise you will see little difference between the E37 & E67.
    The cost difference is minimal, you can find E37's or E67's on Ebay for $10 (almost seems like a crime they are so cheap), it's the harness etc that will end up costing the most.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

I would just use a 2002 Corvette calibration, which uses DBW and turn off all the non used cylinder trouble codes. I have been running a turbocharged 1.3 Suzuki 4 cylinder for 3 years now in almost the same configuration (using 2002 Camaro OS) using COS3 and could not be happier. To the untrained person, you would never know that the engine is running a GM computer system!!!
    If you need more info, feel free to ask!!!

Mike
    Current toys are as follows:
    1961 Chevrolet Corvair Monza, 145 H6/powerglide. 85 HP of raw fury.... slow and stock and staying that way!
    1969 GMC 2500, 4-53T Detroit diesel/Fuller 10 speed on late model 1500 HD frame
    1970 GMC 9500, 6-71 Detroit/Fuller 13 speed, not sure why I bought it, but it sure is noisy!!!
    1975 Ford F100 shortbed. Currently undergoing Crown Vic subframe swap and EFI 4.6!!!
    1975 Chevrolet Vega, 5.3/200-4R may finish someday, maybe...

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spindoctor View Post
    Sorry-
    It was the 2006 ION 2.0 SC Vin P that looked like the E40 or E60 case.
    If the malibu 2.2 Vin F has the E67 then that would be a good one to get as my next project will most likely be a flat six and the same unit should work there.
    Gotcha, well Id still say E67 ftw even though the P12 can run an I6 too...

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    E37 or E67 would be fine, both use 58x crank, both will run up to 255kPa manifold pressure and both have factory programs for 4 cyl or 6 cyl (E67 has straight 6 and V6).
    Technically there is not much difference between them, the E67 was GM's premium ECM with the most inputs and outputs, however tuning wise you will see little difference between the E37 & E67.
    The cost difference is minimal, you can find E37's or E67's on Ebay for $10 (almost seems like a crime they are so cheap), it's the harness etc that will end up costing the most.

Cheers,
    Ross
    Plus the E67 has the 08-09 TrailBlazer/Envoy 4.2L I6 OS too, be ideal for a future inline 6 setup.

Quote Originally Posted by schwoch1 View Post
    I would just use a 2002 Corvette calibration, which uses DBW and turn off all the non used cylinder trouble codes. I have been running a turbocharged 1.3 Suzuki 4 cylinder for 3 years now in almost the same configuration (using 2002 Camaro OS) using COS3 and could not be happier. To the untrained person, you would never know that the engine is running a GM computer system!!!
    If you need more info, feel free to ask!!!

Mike
    Mike, Tim already has a 58x crank reluctor. This would be another option as well, use a LS1 PCM and run COS3/5 on it for boost. You could change OSs a lot easier, but the E67 is a really good choice still. Decisions decisions.
    ~Erik~

Thanks for all of the input.
    The AEM 30-1050 is a Honda 4cyl box. But, with a couple of board jumper changes it can be used as a 6 or 8 Cly. Makes for a good generic all purpose unit. You can even get an empty harness connector to start fresh with. It is just not advanced enough. And the cost!!! $1000 used. But I have done a bunch of them.

What I am seeing in the E67 is a Superior replacement for all the unusual stuff I get around here. And I love the software. Believe me- if all you have ever worked with is EFI Live you have no idea how bad some systems can be and I have worked with most of them.

I will be scouring the COPART yards for a donor chassis Malibu- looks like it might be the most common\affordable place to start. That and if I sell off enough of the leftovers I might come out ahead!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast