Thread: What pcu and os for 2004 Sierra 2500 HD?

Default What PCM and os for 2004 Sierra 2500 HD?

Hi everyone. I have read a lot of posts here and elsewhere and got mostly confused so here are some questions to start my posting here. I have a 2004 Sierra 2500 HD 4X4 6.0 auto and want to put a new (to the truck) PCM in it. Do I have to get a pcm from a truck or can I use one from a car. I know I need a drive by wire one. Is one better then another? I would like to use one from a vehicle newer the the 8 year old one i have. I have read the one i have is not the preferred one in a car. What do you suggest? Then what about the OS? Should I use a stock one or would a custom one be better? If so which one? TIA for any suggestions.
    Last edited by TheSignGuy; September 22nd, 2011 at 05:42 PM.

Lifetime Member

Um.....something tells me you have been mislead ??

Is there something wrong with the one in the truck now ?
    Where did you read that it is not the preferred one to have ?
    What do you mean by stock or custom PCM ?
    If you need a new one you can use any one with the same service number on the back.

-Justin

Thanks for the reply. Maybe not misled but dazed and confused as usual. But don't worry, I'm used to it. Unfortunately my post sounded that way also. It seemed alright early this morning but not so much in the light of day. Tried to post a couple quick questions and it did not come out to well.

Anyway. I did not mean custom PCM I meant custom os. Quick long story. My truck was in an accident before. It was hit in the left fender knocking the computer loose and breaking the battery spilling acid all over the computer. Then it sat at the body shop outside with the hood open for a while during a monsoon season. The problems started soon after and have gotten worse.

The truck won't start and that could be vats related. The trans throws 3 to 5 codes depending on what it feels like and the brake and anti lock light comes on (along with most others). When it does this I only have second gear and the truck won't restart with the key. I can jump start the truck by pulling the starter relay and jumping across the relay connections. Most times once the truck starts this way it will work fine for awhile and then not start occasionally. Jump starting it usually cures it but not this time. I usually clear the dtc's I get (usually just the tran) and everything is fine. Not this time. It won't start with the key and the brake mil's come on and the trans throws dtc's without starting or even trying to, just by turning the key to the on position. Something is very wrong electrically. I have tried cleaning the grounds and have checked the wires endlessly. There maybe a problem with them but I can't find anything.

Wow this is getting long. I want to turn of the vats and check other stuff like the PCM getting correct current and working and whatever but I don't want to use the PCM in the truck because I don't trust it. To disable vats and check it I would have to register that PCM and if it is bad there goes one of my PCM credits with nothing good coming of it. I would rather find a good PCM and register and use it. Thing is which one? Which was my first short but not very clear post question.

I tried to search this and other forums to find out but most people were putting different engine and controllers in different vehicles not staying original like mine. Those posts are where i read the 12583660 That I have was not a good choice for their transplants. There is a list I have seen a few times listing what were good and what was not, maybe here even. Mine was listed as not good, don't know why but figured if it was not good for their transplant was there something better for my truck? sorry for the way to long post.

To summarize this novel my, my truck is crap, I don't want to waste a PCM credit on the one I have and was just wondering what to use. Thanks if you have read all this.

Hmm return button double posted
    Last edited by TheSignGuy; September 23rd, 2011 at 12:52 PM.

Lifetime Member

Water and electronics don't go well together. If water gets into a PCM it is often fatal. If you have an EFILive interface (V1 or V2) you can read a tune at no cost.

Trying reading the tune ... if you are successful, and the tune is not corrupt ... you could then flash it into a replacement PCM.

Most 2003 to 2005 PCMs should be compatible with your 2004 OS.

Regards,
    Taz

Thanks Taz. I would say I'm new at this but I havent even tried it yet. ;-o. I didn't know you could read at no cost. I will and will look for a replacement PCM.

Lifetime Member

SpareECM <=== Link

I have had great customer service from this company.
    Contact Rodney at 330-473-0426

-Justin

Thanks L31. I took a quick look at your link and it looks good. Thanks again.

Check your neutral safety switch on the trans. It can cause a no start and a lot of transmission codes as well.

Thanks Motorzane. I'll check that too.