Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ecm fried?

ok so i need to get another ecm?

Yes. There is a number of people out there who can hook you up with another ECM, try Google.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Is this the same for Cummins ecm Ross? Basically if the comp ever dies while flashing the worst thing to do is disconnect the batteries? I thought that is what efi did when u read a truck is totally remove the software inside, modify it, and reinstall it to the ecm?

Jake

No the Cummins is safe, it's really only a few of GM's earlier controllers that are a problem. The LS1, LB7 where a full flash is a big risk and the reason for that is 100% of the flash chip needs to be erased, on the later ECM's they got wiser and it always retains a section of the flash that allows the ECM to talk to the outside world. Cummins did things a little different to that again, but similar in that there is always some program left in the ECM so it can recover from a failed flash.
    With the LS1 & LB7, it's really only the first 20 seconds or so of the flash that is the most critical, that is when the 'recovery' part of the ECM is being written.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

But isnt the downside to not erasing 100% of the flash that installing different PCM/ECMs in different vehicles requires a Tech II to flash them? Im still trying to get my head around why only a Tech II can full flash an E38/67 for use in another platform and EFILive (and HPT) cant. Does it also have to do with the ETC controllers?
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

The 6.7 will be safe as all get out... I have pulled battery while flashing..killed computer while flashing..tried to flash while running (as Bobo did.lol!), basically I think the cummins ecm Ross has it about bullet proof 'knock on wood'
    -Kory

I'm out of ideas? Nah trick... When in doubt, 0xFFFF it out!

http://www.PPEI.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    But isnt the downside to not erasing 100% of the flash that installing different PCM/ECMs in different vehicles requires a Tech II to flash them? Im still trying to get my head around why only a Tech II can full flash an E38/67 for use in another platform and EFILive (and HPT) cant. Does it also have to do with the ETC controllers?
    On the later ECM's like the E38, E67 etc the requirement for TechII comes from the fact there is a second microprocessor in there to handle the ETC functions, it does not reside in the same memory space as the flash chip we program. It can't be read, so therefore EFILive (and HPT) can't reflash it. With TIS it always flashes this part of the ECM during normal programming.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    On the later ECM's like the E38, E67 etc the requirement for TechII comes from the fact there is a second microprocessor in there to handle the ETC functions, it does not reside in the same memory space as the flash chip we program. It can't be read, so therefore EFILive (and HPT) can't reflash it. With TIS it always flashes this part of the ECM during normal programming.
    Ah I see, I didnt realize it cant be read out, just like the LML: no read, no write. Thought it was like the P10 where its just tricky as all he|| to mess with lol.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tordne View Post
    If the crash occurred during the very early part (first few seconds) of the full-flash operation then it is quite likely that the ECM will be dead unfortunately. I'm assumign you're no longer able to read or connect to the ECM at all?
    Does this apply to me too? I forgot to turn on my key. so I hit Stop! Bad Idea... I was reading the info buletin and heard My Lift pump stop. I pressed NO I don't wanna stop, but it was too late, and Now I get PCM not detected. And I read a post that said to dicsonnect the battery for 10 minutes. So I did. and still Nothing. Help?

If you have a 2001 Duramax (as your alias implies) then it is likely that the ECM is going to be dead I'm afraid. I your case the battery disconnect will not help.
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast