Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gift Tune

Thanks for the Gift Tune Rich. Also, thanks for the 409 OS. I'm wondering if my 2006 manual didn't originally come with that OS. Then in 2009 sometime, I had the truck in for some warranty work and they update the flash in the computer. Well, it sucked after that. Didn't seem to run as good and I ended with the 602 OS.
    06 3500 4x4 CCSB - HE351 over S475, Air Dog 165, SBC SFI Dual Disk, and 5" straight pipe.

The only thing I've noticed on the 409 OS that doesn't seem to work correctly is the automatic door look speed parameters. Not that I could really give a crap about those honestly, but that is the one this that doesn't seem to respond.

Otherwise, I don't have issues with it.

My stock OS was a nightmare, but it may not have necessarily been "stock" persay because of all the times it was flashed.

1207 HP / 1612 TQ

Where some people get confused with these tunes is they think that, lets say for example, if I posted the tune I run on my truck that if they loaded it on their truck, they'd make a ton of power.

Well, the truth of the matter is exactly the opposite, at least at low RPM, unless you had similar modifications.

What would happen with the tune on my truck, if it was loaded on a truck with stock injectors, is it would idle in P and N, but as soon as you drop it into R or D, it would likely stall....but that would also depend on the converter, my converter is about 250 RPM's tighter than stock.

The duration in my tune is lower than stock to control the smoke of the larger injectors. Do that to stock injectors and you don't have enough fuel to run the truck under load.

That's why you see these box tunes hazing at an idle.....thats what you get with a "one size fits all" approach.

Like I said, the Gift Tune is meant for a mostly stock truck. Intake, exhaust, clutch upgrade....that's all the truck it runs on has.

1207 HP / 1612 TQ

The gift tune looks nice, especially considering it being "free" guys! It is something great to learn off of.
    -Kory

I'm out of ideas? Nah trick... When in doubt, 0xFFFF it out!

http://www.PPEI.com/

Quote Originally Posted by 2006Cummins View Post
    I certainly don't expect anything for free. So, I think it is pretty neat that someone who knows what they are doing took the time to help us less experienced guys out with a well balanced/built tune to help us learn a little more about what to do, and what some things should look like. I appreciate you doing this for us.

Thanks,
    Mike
    X2 ....well said

So, I flashed in the gift tune into my truck, and changed the vin. As soon as I started the truck the brake, abs, and air bag lights all came on and stayed on. The next morning I flashed my tune back in and all of the lights are still on. I checked all of the fuses, and disconnected the batteries for about 5min, but that didn't help. Any ideas how I can undo whatever it is that I did when I flashed the gift tune? Thanks.

Mike

Sounds like you tried to start the truck before you changed the VIN and now you have a mismatch between the ECM, the ABS module and the TIPM.
    Last edited by DoghouseDiesel; October 7th, 2011 at 01:46 PM.

1207 HP / 1612 TQ

Remember, if you flash a tune with another VIN, you need to turn the key to run, connect with the Scan Tool, go to the Bidirectional tab and change the VIN before you start the truck.

I recommend you also save that file and flash it with that VIN before starting, just to make sure. Otherwise, you'll be making a trip to the dealer to get your ABS module and TIPM reflashed so the trucks configuration matches.

The only other time I've had this happen was on one truck that had a Bully Dog and one that had a Superchips. Both had reprogrammed the ABS for tire size but the tuning was set to stock and when flashed the VINs were mismatched in the ABS module.
    Last edited by DoghouseDiesel; October 7th, 2011 at 01:45 PM.

1207 HP / 1612 TQ

Thanks for the reply. No, I did not try to start it. My bully dog messed up my stock program, so when I first got efilive I had to download another stock file and change the vin, etc. Rob @ ATP sent me instructions on how to do it. So what you are saying is that I've got to go to the dealer and have the abs and tipm re flashed? I don't understand why this happened, but it would be nice to be sure that this wont happen again in the future.

Mike

I can't say it won't happen as I don't know what you did or what you had for tuning previously.

I know what condition usually causes the problem you are having now and I know, in my experience, what 2 programmers have caused that problem also.

There are 2 things that can happen here.

1 - You can try driving the truck on 2 trips separate trips of 8 miles or more. When the the vehicles goes through it's diagnostics and it does not see a problem over this period of time, it will turn off the lights.

2 - If that doesn't work, you have to go to the dealer and they have to reflash your ABS module and TIPM.

I can tell you this....I can count on one hand how many ECM, ABS or TIPM problem we've had due to all other tuners combined. Bully Dog on the other hand.....I can't even count. They tear up some TIPM's.

1207 HP / 1612 TQ

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast