Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Single Event startup white smoke .... Solution! MAYBE!

Default Single Event startup white smoke .... Solution! MAYBE!

Guys I finally was able to get the pilot to be controlled by the coolant temp!! cuts off when temp reaches 160F. Keeps startup clean for those like myself that have trucks white smoking at startup. Least it did today. lll be 100% sure in the AM.

Im hitting the sack right now, but ill be back in the AM to tell you what i have done.
    06 2500 SLT 4x4 , G56, 105,000 miles, 2nd exhaust manifold, 2nd gen air intake horn, SBC 3600 DD, I. I. 90HP Sticks, straight pipe, manual high idle mod, custom air intake , and pretty much everything else engine wise is stock... LEARNING EFI LIVE

Lifetime Member

I'm going to guess you set the Pilot coolant temp multiplier to 0 for whatever temperature you want the pilot to shut off. I just don't understand why you guys are trying to completely get rid of pilot injection.

The less the stix fire the more reliable they'll be. It sounds better to some. Allows for a larger/longer main event.

Jake

Quote Originally Posted by comnrailpwr View Post
    The less the stix fire the more reliable they'll be. It sounds better to some. Allows for a larger/longer main event.

Jake
    This hasn't proven even remotely true for teh DURAMAX as some with LB7's have tried this and all they got was an engine that sounded like a powerstroke and was a pain to cold start and still had injector problems. I don't see why you guys aren't just cutting it out at a lower RPM. I know I for one can't stand the noise of a diesel without pilot injection and this was one of the reasons I opted for a DURAMAX conversion instead of the 12 valve CUMMINS like so many others do. Not to mention the improved starting that comes along with it.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

I used to shut pilot off above 2000 rpm. The powerstroke sound got old after about 2 days. I shut it off completely once, and got crappy idle, white smoke, and poor cold starting in return. I still shut it off above 2600 rpm & 75% throttle to keep timing and rail pressure happy on the bigger tunes. So far I'm trying the same on the cummins, and it seems to work well.

mispeeld with tapatalkz
    Signature

Well sorry this isnt the AM but had a busy day. Yes i modified the coolant multiplier to cut off at 150F... Works perfect . Never had a problem starting just some white smoke at idle first thing in the morning. After that never a problem. Always starts even when its been in the upper 30's here in the smokies.

I agree that this isnt for everyone. not everyone likes a noisy engine. Im just old school. I always have liked it. But I like what jake said about the main event. Thats my aim is for a larger main event. This may be pointless to some but I like the challenge to see if i can get it to work. Learned alot so far.

Swapping in a 2nd gen cam I have laying here. See what that does with the main event. To my understanding that the 3rd gen cam has the EGR effect on that particular grind. Also was told that the pistons in the 3rd gens wasnt exactly perfect for the single event so there would always be some smoke during hard acceleration but that if a 03-04 pistons were used that it would probably eliminate the haze.

Anyway learning how the pilot works with this and how to tune it if nothing else. Clears my smoke up at start up perfectly.
    06 2500 SLT 4x4 , G56, 105,000 miles, 2nd exhaust manifold, 2nd gen air intake horn, SBC 3600 DD, I. I. 90HP Sticks, straight pipe, manual high idle mod, custom air intake , and pretty much everything else engine wise is stock... LEARNING EFI LIVE

Quote Originally Posted by icem237 View Post
    I agree that this isnt for everyone. not everyone likes a noisy engine. Im just old school. I always have liked it. But I like what jake said about the main event. Thats my aim is for a larger main event. This may be pointless to some but I like the challenge to see if i can get it to work. Learned alot so far.
    This^^^^^^^

Great job!!
    06 5.9L, EFILive / Silver Bullet Tuning
    06 LBZ, EFILive

Great job on this! I think the sound of a Gen 1 Cummins coming out of a Common Rail is awesome.
    06 3500 4x4 CCSB - HE351 over S475, Air Dog 165, SBC SFI Dual Disk, and 5" straight pipe.

I put together my own tune with some ideas from this thread (BIG thanks!). Here's what I've got so far...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUuyDbCI_Zw

It feels so much better than other tunes I've run the only thing I don't like is the ONLY time it's not smoking is when you're idling, I need to work on that. Temps never got more than 900* at about 80% on the APPS, boost gets up pretty quick... definitely loving the sound since I miss my old 12v! Also don't mind the tach, I'm having the typical electrical issue with the cluster and don't feel like getting it fixed.
    EFI Live - The Smarter way to tune!
    2006 Ram 2500 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by TexasCummins View Post
    ... Also don't mind the tach, I'm having the typical electrical issue with the cluster and don't feel like getting it fixed.
    my tach has gave up as well. i didnt realize this was a common problem. Mine freewheels from zero and wraps all the way around and back to zero with no rhyme or reason
    06 Laramie 3500 QC SB 4x4 - Full billet Auto by DTT, HE351/S475 twins, EFI live, lots of custom goodies....

07 6.2L Yukon Denali - CAI, CAT delete, self tuned with EFI Live

03 Trailblazer 4.2L I6 - CAI, custom exhaust, EFI live

2010 Laramie 3500 CC LB 4x4 - H&S, DPF delete, waiting for EFI Live.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast