Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Reducing injector wear

We keep blaming Chrysler. But the way I understand it, it's the filtration that Bosch instructed them to use when the trucks were manufactured. They just changed their recommendations after the trucks were already on the market, and did nothing to contact people with a fix. Is there info showing otherwise? I hope so, cause I hate the way I understand it, honestly.
    EFI Live, Maxxed Out auto trans, Edge TC, FASS, 35's, 4" lift, E.D. 62/68/12, 70 hp tips.

Lifetime Member

Sounds like the same thing happend to the duramax's because GM had a free fuel filter change/recall/change bulletin around 04/05 to a lower micron rating.
    04 LB7
    2010 LMM
    2015 LML

Quote Originally Posted by AdamRRT View Post
    We keep blaming Chrysler. But the way I understand it, it's the filtration that Bosch instructed them to use when the trucks were manufactured. They just changed their recommendations after the trucks were already on the market, and did nothing to contact people with a fix. Is there info showing otherwise? I hope so, cause I hate the way I understand it, honestly.
    BOSCH specs 2um for ALL their CR injection systems. Chrysler fails to equip the vehicles with proper filtration.

Filter companies refuse to mfg drop in replacements that meet spec as well.
    Les Szmidt
    2007 5.9 Dodge Ram
    2014 Ram 3500 Aisin tuning Emissions Equipped
    EFI Live Cummins BETA Tester
    Silver Bullet Tuning
    silverbullettuning@gmail.com
    www.youtube.com/ljszmidt
    http://www.facebook.com/SilverBulletTuninig

Quote Originally Posted by 2007 5.9 View Post
    BOSCH specs 2um for ALL their CR injection systems. Chrysler fails to equip the vehicles with proper filtration.

Filter companies refuse to mfg drop in replacements that meet spec as well.
    I recently called Bosch and spoke with them about filtration. They have told me (twice, I also talked to them several years ago) that minimum filtration is 5um, and recommenced is 2um, which based on the most current standard <3um is all you can report.

If you look at all the filters that Cummins puts on their HPCR systems the smaller the engine the better the filtration needs to be. They all use a 5um absolute filter, but the 2um rating varies. On ISB's and ISC's its in the 92-94% at 2um, where as you go up in engine size the 2um rating drops to 85-88%.

After years and countless hours of research I was shocked at what some people were running on their trucks, and thought it was good just because it said Fleetguard on the side of it.

In addition to micron rating people need to look at flow rating, a filter may be 5um absolute but if that number is at 60GPH and your pushing 100+ GPH thru it then your not as efficient. There are very few filters that are rated for flow over 90 GPH and have the ratings needed for our injection system. The CP3 does not have a need for pressure like a VP44, but people treat it as thou it does. Bosch specs -5 to +15 psi, I prefer 2-15 psi for ease of monitoring. If you are in that range WOT you are feeding it enough fuel and you may be able to use a smaller pump and not outflow your filter ratings and have cleaner fuel. If you have a high HP rig and need 150 GPH to keep it in the proper range then really a stand alone pump and several fuel filters in parallel is what you need. Thou to be honest I think the high HP guys get away with under filtering fuel because modded injectors have much larger holes and the debris isn't as hard on them.

I have only found 3 filters for the 03-07 trucks that meet OEM spec (7um) which are OEM, Donaldson P550800, and the Baldwin PF7977, of those the only one to meet Bosch min spec is the Baldwin.

Anyways, off my soap box...

Ok so I was off on my rating...and I do run a AD150 and run a 7977 in my stock canister...have from day one.
    Les Szmidt
    2007 5.9 Dodge Ram
    2014 Ram 3500 Aisin tuning Emissions Equipped
    EFI Live Cummins BETA Tester
    Silver Bullet Tuning
    silverbullettuning@gmail.com
    www.youtube.com/ljszmidt
    http://www.facebook.com/SilverBulletTuninig

Quote Originally Posted by 2007 5.9 View Post
    Ok so I was off on my rating...and I do run a AD150 and run a 7977 in my stock canister...have from day one.
    I wasn't trying to pick on your rating, just sharing some of my findings after WAY too much time researching filters.

As for the AD, if you (or anyone else reading) isn't aware the best filters for it are the Baldwin BF1275 (only one to even meet OE f/w sep rates) and Donaldson P551315.

Quote Originally Posted by AH64ID View Post
    As for the AD, if you (or anyone else reading) isn't aware the best filters for it are the Baldwin BF1275 (only one to even meet OE f/w sep rates) and Donaldson P551315.
    thanks for those part numbers, when I installed my AD150 I replaced the factory canister with one of the pass-thru blocks & currently still running the AD filters

Wow I was a real jerk in these old threads. You guys should've had me tarred & feathered. Funny looking back I thought I knew so much, but now I realize that I know very little. I guess 10 years of aging will do that to a man.
    EFI Live, Maxxed Out auto trans, Edge TC, FASS, 35's, 4" lift, E.D. 62/68/12, 70 hp tips.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567