Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reducing injector wear

Default Reducing injector wear

I'd like to hear some thoughts on this. It ties into why we tune certain characteristics into or out of our tunes.

A few times I've heard guys say that a single event tune will save injector wear by only firing once. I am not so sure. I think it'll help if it nets a lower overall total flow of fuel, causing less erosion.

Anybody got any info showing that it's the actual act of the injector movement that causes failures rather than the flow at pressure as we already know as fact?
    EFI Live, Maxxed Out auto trans, Edge TC, FASS, 35's, 4" lift, E.D. 62/68/12, 70 hp tips.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamRRT View Post
    A few times I've heard guys say that a single event tune will save injector wear by only firing once. I am not so sure. I think it'll help if it nets a lower overall total flow of fuel, causing less erosion. ?
    I work with high pressure, high volume, high velocity flow plumbing & valves everyday. Valves wear out from opening and closing them. The higher the pressure differential, the more you open & close them under pressure & the longer it takes for pressure to equalize around the valve, the faster they wear out. Valves in the open position very rarely fail.

If you view the injector as a valve, this is one way to look at it.
    06 Laramie 3500 QC SB 4x4 - Full billet Auto by DTT, HE351/S475 twins, EFI live, lots of custom goodies....

07 6.2L Yukon Denali - CAI, CAT delete, self tuned with EFI Live

03 Trailblazer 4.2L I6 - CAI, custom exhaust, EFI live

2010 Laramie 3500 CC LB 4x4 - H&S, DPF delete, waiting for EFI Live.....

Quote Originally Posted by skneeland View Post
    I work with high pressure, high volume, high velocity flow plumbing & valves everyday. Valves wear out from opening and closing them. The higher the pressure differential, the more you open & close them under pressure & the longer it takes for pressure to equalize around the valve, the faster they wear out. Valves in the open position very rarely fail.

If you view the injector as a valve, this is one way to look at it.
    Also keep in mind that a common rail injector doesn't work like a standard valve does. They open to spray by opening a bypass which causes a pressure differential that opens the valve. They are actually a dual action design.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

Yeah I'm not aware of the valve issue applying in our case. Unless someone has some info that brings that valve comparison into application.
    EFI Live, Maxxed Out auto trans, Edge TC, FASS, 35's, 4" lift, E.D. 62/68/12, 70 hp tips.

True , injector will open-close less. But the peak cylinder pressure will be higher. Will that cause more wear/higher duty cycle of the injectors? I don't know. Will it cause more wear of other engine components. I don't know, but it should be considered. Getting rid of the junk - 3rd injection event - is a good idea, but I think the pilot has a lot of good features and I plan on keeping mine (except maybe at idle just for some fun).

I can't see how you'd consider higher duty cycle when opening for a shorter duration overall per revolution. That means lower duty cycle. Unless I'm missing something. If so let me know.

I think we will have reduced wear potential with EFILIVE. We can reduce our rail pressure to the min necessary pressure. Or ramp up early yet leave a safe ceiling like say make it so you're commanding 21,000 psi across the board, but limit it to that. Could in theory be tons of fun yet potentially not wear injectors as quickly. Just something I've always thought sounds like fun... On someone else's truck for 100k mikes first of course. Haha.
    Last edited by AdamRRT; October 16th, 2011 at 12:04 PM.

I have a customer run 300k plus miles and so many engine hours the clock reset itself on stock injectors on a lbz Dmax that runs 12.60s...no this isn't typical as we would see a piston go by that time... but I have seen countless guys go 200k miles with a 3000+ uS... Dodge is a new ball game and now that they have good Tuning capabilities who knows how far they would go? My concern on injector wear would be high pressure in a smoking hot chamber... yet again... who knows how far they will go.
    -Kory

I'm out of ideas? Nah trick... When in doubt, 0xFFFF it out!

http://www.PPEI.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Dmaxink View Post
    My concern on injector wear would be high pressure in a smoking hot chamber... yet again... who knows how far they will go.
    So I can understand more... What part of it concerns u? Do you mean regarding predetonation?

Reread my post..what I meant was before there would be an injector issue ( assuming fuel quality is good)...I wouldnt really be too worried about injector issues as I could see the truck dropping a piston or rod before injector issues would persist from tuning ect..high pressure high egts is the root of all evil, yet power :-) ...its that beautiful balancing act. Too much pressure without adequate relief would wear an injector more than anything in my book.
    -Kory

I would expect a piston to flop before an injector issue due.
    -Kory

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast