Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Reducing injector wear

Ahh that makes sense.

So is the consensus on injector wear that it is due to high pressure flow, and not actuation?
    EFI Live, Maxxed Out auto trans, Edge TC, FASS, 35's, 4" lift, E.D. 62/68/12, 70 hp tips.

That would be my logical assumption..but I'm sure one could potentially shoot it down.
    -Kory

I'm out of ideas? Nah trick... When in doubt, 0xFFFF it out!

http://www.PPEI.com/

Haha if someone can shoot it down, I'd love to see it. I'm always willing to learn.
    EFI Live, Maxxed Out auto trans, Edge TC, FASS, 35's, 4" lift, E.D. 62/68/12, 70 hp tips.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamRRT View Post
    Yeah I'm not aware of the valve issue applying in our case. Unless someone has some info that brings that valve comparison into application.
    regardless, it is still a valve even though it may not conform to your traditional ideas of what constitutes a valve.

back to your original question, you may want to first look at better filtration. the stock 7micron filter system can easily be upgraded to a 2micron spin-on style (Bosch themselves recommend a minimum 5micron filter for this application)

after that its also a good idea to modify the poorly designed vents on the top of the fuel tank (there is one at each end) that let in water when you drive & at the carwash...
    06 Laramie 3500 QC SB 4x4 - Full billet Auto by DTT, HE351/S475 twins, EFI live, lots of custom goodies....

07 6.2L Yukon Denali - CAI, CAT delete, self tuned with EFI Live

03 Trailblazer 4.2L I6 - CAI, custom exhaust, EFI live

2010 Laramie 3500 CC LB 4x4 - H&S, DPF delete, waiting for EFI Live.....

^^^Good advice
    -Kory

I'm out of ideas? Nah trick... When in doubt, 0xFFFF it out!

http://www.PPEI.com/

I agree and totally appreciate the advice. I'm talking about using programming (I'm posting on EFI Live forum in a TUNING section). I know some of you guys are just super helpful and toss out all the info you can to help (much appreciated, skneeland), so let me be more specific:
    Assume perfect filtration. I'm asking that we address injector wear due to FUEL (not contaminated fuel) and actuation, and any other injector wear issue as it applies to a tuning section. Heck assume perfect fuel if you have to. I'm in a tuning section so I'd like to address how can we reduce it via tuning. I didn't think I'd have to clarify since that's why the board is in sections and subforums. That's MY MISTAKE for not being more specific. So I very much apologize for leaving it too open and not clarifying. I'm sorry. Let's try to talk about it from a tuning standpoint.

Also, skneeland: can you explain how the valve concept applies to our injectors please? I understand the fact that valves would wear while opening and closing, as if nothing else it's exposed to higher pressure temporarily during the open/close transition. But I'm intrigued. You obviously know WAY more about valves than most of us, so I'm all ears. It's the first time I've heard this concept applied to worn injector internals. And since nobody has yet found a true permanant solution to injector wear, I wonder if this is a key issue that the community hasn't addressed.

... skneeland: can you explain how the valve concept applies to our injectors please? I understand the fact that valves would wear while opening and closing, as if nothing else it's exposed to higher pressure temporarily during the open/close transition. But I'm intrigued. You obviously know WAY more about valves than most of us, so I'm all ears. It's the first time I've heard this concept applied to worn injector internals. And since nobody has yet found a true permanant solution to injector wear, I wonder if this is a key issue that the community hasn't addressed.
    personally, ive never had them fail due to this type of wear(all my injector failures have been electronic) i was simply hypothesizing on long term effects. A person could easily consider with all things being equal that if you eliminate/minimize pre & post injection events, you are removing 2/3 of the events, that you may extend the life of them by a reasonable amount. This is probably more likely on daily driver/non performance situation, pushing the envelope in the name of performance probably still negates any longetivity gains. Furthermore, i suspect a majority of the mechanical failures can be attributed to either, poor filtration and/or combined with excessive high pressure & pressure spikes
    06 Laramie 3500 QC SB 4x4 - Full billet Auto by DTT, HE351/S475 twins, EFI live, lots of custom goodies....

07 6.2L Yukon Denali - CAI, CAT delete, self tuned with EFI Live

03 Trailblazer 4.2L I6 - CAI, custom exhaust, EFI live

2010 Laramie 3500 CC LB 4x4 - H&S, DPF delete, waiting for EFI Live.....

99% of injector failures are from contamination. 1% is from the electrical solenoid failure.

Failure comes from erosion of the ball/socket in the HP side. Rust/debris etc slam aginst the ball and bash it up.

I have never heard of a failure from time...mainly from poor filtration.
    Les Szmidt
    2007 5.9 Dodge Ram
    2014 Ram 3500 Aisin tuning Emissions Equipped
    EFI Live Cummins BETA Tester
    Silver Bullet Tuning
    silverbullettuning@gmail.com
    www.youtube.com/ljszmidt
    http://www.facebook.com/SilverBulletTuninig

The pressure of the fuel itself causes erosion. Fluid erosion.

The pressure of the fuel itself causes erosion. Fluid erosion.
    Agreed. Contamination expedites the process.
    Les Szmidt
    2007 5.9 Dodge Ram
    2014 Ram 3500 Aisin tuning Emissions Equipped
    EFI Live Cummins BETA Tester
    Silver Bullet Tuning
    silverbullettuning@gmail.com
    www.youtube.com/ljszmidt
    http://www.facebook.com/SilverBulletTuninig

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast