Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Reducing injector wear

Looking at the Duramax side the LBZ and LMM run four injection events and see as much as 180mpa rail pressure yet you don't see injectors going out very often with them. Heck I know of a few that have over 300k on the originals and one over 900k that's never been touched. Dirt, water and air is what kills your fuel system. Some also claim its a lack of lubricity in the ULSD fuel. Regardless I don't think pressure is the cause for injectors failing.
    Dan's Diesel Performance
    www.dansdieselperformance.com

Cracked bodies are directly related to pressure. I agree that ball seat erosion is fuel contamination and flow

Jake

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by AdamRRT View Post
    Not bothered at all. Amazed that you'd be disturbed enough to throw in profanity and act as if the discussion shouldn't exist. It wasn't meant to solve world peace. It is a casual discussion. If it were important, I would HOPE someone wouldn't be sitting here discussing it online. No offense meant toward you man. Maybe I took you the wrong way.
    I'm not disturbed at all, and I don't see where I used any profanity, unless you're considering WTF profanity. I'm simply using it as a figure of speech. You'd know if I was using profanity. The point I'm making is, you act like you really want to solve a problem, but then just a couple of posts ago, you say it doesn't matter. As if to say, you don't really care to actually solve a problem. Why waste everyone's time if you aren't actually trying to solve a problem? I guess I just don't understand the reason to come on and speculate with no real desire to figure anything out. Generally when someone discusses a topic, they have some end result they're after; yet you act totally offended when it is suggested you ask someone who really knows. It makes me wonder what you're really after.

Simple. I want discussion of experience. I'm not wasting your time. I didn't force anybody to post in this thread, although I appreciate the credit for being so powerful. Thank you. I have a desire to gather info from people's experienced over time in order to form my own opinions. Is that serious or a big deal to me? Nope.

It's odd all those claiming that it's contamination but not pressure can't seem to say it so let me ask:

Those who keep blaming contamination - your posts indicate that you feel that if one runs the 2um CAT/Donaldson style filter and best water separator, they're not going to experience accelerated internal injector wear if they run pressure on "kill" at all times. Say 160MPa across the table. Is this correct? If not, then why back down from earlier posts?
    EFI Live, Maxxed Out auto trans, Edge TC, FASS, 35's, 4" lift, E.D. 62/68/12, 70 hp tips.

I think you're going to find that you're soon going to be talking to yourself, Adam, as, yet again, here you are in a pissing contest with everyone.

You can try and quantify and qualify yourself however you'd like, but at this point I'll let you know this.....

You will receive NO assistance, guidance or knowledge from me. I am making that publicly known.

Your actions and attitude are quite plainly, out of line, whether it be in person or on line. You ask a question, then get pissy with the answers.

So with that, I hope someone else decides to entertain you, as I will no longer even concern myself with some of your questions.

You're on your own, bud.

1207 HP / 1612 TQ

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by AdamRRT View Post
    Simple. I want discussion of experience. I'm not wasting your time. I didn't force anybody to post in this thread, although I appreciate the credit for being so powerful. Thank you. I have a desire to gather info from people's experienced over time in order to form my own opinions. Is that serious or a big deal to me? Nope.
    The experience of what, 6 months worth of tuning at the most? That will hardly provide any kind of concrete evidence. Like I said earlier, if you really want actual info, talk to an experienced injector shop or Bosch. They will be able to give you the answers you want. Maybe you can ask again in a few years when people have actually had some time with EFILive and will perhaps be able to give some info on how tuning affects injector life. My personal opinion is that most people's main concern isn't going to be making their injectors last longer. Most of the Cummins trucks I change injectors on because of an actual injector problem have 200k or more miles on them. If you can drive that long without having to do that repair, I don't consider it a major concern. I think the focus on most tuners is going to be performance, driveablity, and efficiency. Good power, good manners, and good fuel economy are what makes people happy.

Quote Originally Posted by DoghouseDiesel View Post
    I think you're going to find that you're soon going to be talking to yourself, Adam, as, yet again, here you are in a pissing contest with everyone.
    Pissing contest? I see no such thing. I see a couple of people who had difficulty grasping the point to the conversation. If you think that's a pissing contest, you have a serious attitude issue.

You can try and quantify and qualify yourself however you'd like, but at this point I'll let you know this.....

You will receive NO assistance, guidance or knowledge from me. I am making that publicly known.
    That's good. I didn't want to have to put you on IGNORE on yet another board because of your prickish attitude.

Your actions and attitude are quite plainly, out of line, whether it be in person or on line. You ask a question, then get pissy with the answers.
    And here's the prickish attitude. where'd I get pissy? I asked questions, hoping some people would have the ability to have a simple conversation. but somehow sticking to the topic of the forum and just having a lighthearted discussion bothers some people. I have no use for that type of person. Life's too short to think our own opinion is so important that you're being bothered by posting in a thread that you weren't asked to join. Note that other than the attitude comment, i'm not pointing a finger at YOU. I'm leaving that up to you to decide if you feel that you fit into that category.

So with that, I hope someone else decides to entertain you, as I will no longer even concern myself with some of your questions.

You're on your own, bud.
    Later. Please don't respond, since you keep promising to not comment on my threads. You don't like anything I say, and I don't care. I'll post in your threads anyway, and life will go on. See ya man. xoxo
    EFI Live, Maxxed Out auto trans, Edge TC, FASS, 35's, 4" lift, E.D. 62/68/12, 70 hp tips.

Lifetime Member

Wow dude. You're a real winner...

Quote Originally Posted by JoshH View Post
    The experience of what, 6 months worth of tuning at the most? That will hardly provide any kind of concrete evidence.
    Sure 6 months, although we know that we've been changing rail pressure for well over 6 months on these trucks. And no, it won't provide concrete evidence. That's not an expectation. So that's not a problem. That's what I'm saying. If I'm understanding correctly, your view of my goals of this thread are different from my intent. I prefer to simply hear everyone's real-world experience, and sift the commonalities from that experience. I have no concerns with the time frame. It doesn't have to be EFI Live specific. Just tuning in the past, that we can now apply to EFI Live. So we reach an understanding: there's no expectation of concrete, 100% scientific proof. I can't believe I even have to clarify this since it's so blatantly obvious that it's not even possible. Just gathering available info over time. It's how we form our own opinions rather than being force fed someone else's agenda-laden garbage information. I hope that's clearer, as I really have zero intentions of agitating anybody. It's just discussion. Man, I work a stressful job where I literally get to play a role in life and death daily. I watch people die who shouldn't, and people die who should. I see families in their hardest times they'll ever face, and I'm blessed to play a role in that. I have no desire to be all super-serious in my spare time conversations. I think of a message board as a bunch of guys sitting around hanging out having a conversation. Because it is. It's not a specific scientific reference database. It's not possible by its very nature.

Like I said earlier, if you really want actual info, talk to an experienced injector shop or Bosch. They will be able to give you the answers you want.
    And as I said, I'd be foolish to consider Bosch to be a valid source of info when they're the ones that made the crappy injectors in the first place, and have done everything they can to avoid a recall. I have very little desire to talk to a shop about it. They have a high inherent bias. That's input that would be accepted, but given much lesser credibility than the input of 10 guys who carefully monitored their trucks and had failures. Once again, my take on it. Since I'm somehow being questioned rather than sticking to the topic or just not posting at all.

Maybe you can ask again in a few years when people have actually had some time with EFILive and will perhaps be able to give some info on how tuning affects injector life.
    Oh I will. I'll continually gather the info. That should go without saying. I'm constantly doing this with every single aspect of life.

My personal opinion is that most people's main concern isn't going to be making their injectors last longer. Most of the Cummins trucks I change injectors on because of an actual injector problem have 200k or more miles on them. If you can drive that long without having to do that repair, I don't consider it a major concern. I think the focus on most tuners is going to be performance, driveablity, and efficiency. Good power, good manners, and good fuel economy are what makes people happy.
    I agree. that does apply to most. But I see a lot of people with problems well under 200k. I've seen many many people with issues such as I had, replacing 3+ injectors at just 65k miles. I only owned it for the last 15k of that, but I'm interested to hear it since it had either the stock filtration for a few thousand miles(which Bosch originally suggested), or the improved Baldwin in the stock canister for the remainder. And has NEVER had enough water from the separator to even tell that a drop came out. Yes I knew the previous owner. And why would a $1500-3000 repair on a hard, non-wearable part be considered acceptable from a truck with a claimed intended lifespan of 400k miles? Keep in mind it's not a matter of affording it. It's a matter of not wasting money. The middle or upper-middle class people who I know (which is from most of the comments about 85-90% of the guys I've seen on the Cummins boards) should never be happy to spend money that shouldn't be spent, just because they can afford it for the day. That's for poor people who think that if they can make the payment for items (whether a single payment or financed), it must be affordable. It's just not acceptable. I see no "injector replacement" in any maintenance schedule from Dodge or Cummins.

Thanks for opening up to the point man. I really have no desire to argue. Just to discuss. Otherwise we wouldn't be on a DISCUSSION BOARD. Haha. Have a good evening.

Wow dude. You're a real winner...
    What do you want me to say? The guy keeps misunderstanding my posts and making these raging retard posts as if I'm gonna say, "Oh no mr Rich you somehow suddenly are relevant because you're a beta tester please stay on my threads." Man the guy has been going off on me for no reason. I have no respect for that.

Look, here's the deal. A few weeks ago, a few guys posted questions. Nobody answered. I referred to their situations in a post. Somehow Rich couldn't get his mind around the fact that it was a reference, and starts going off on me as if I had done what they did. So for a week or so he makes prickish comments and keeps referring to the post and what I did... when I HADN'T DONE IT IN THE FIRST PLACE! I tried to explain it because I know that some people are slow and get confused sometimes. Instead of saying, "Oh I see. I was wrong. I'm sorry.", he just kept popping off at the mouth. So if someone dislikes me based upon their own misunderstanding and feels the need to run their mouth like a good little keyboard warrior, I'm not going to just sit back and not fire back.

I notice you had NOTHING to say to him about his crappy attitude toward me in that post. Why do you comment on one side and not theother, when OBVIOUSLY I wasn't being rude to him first? Yes, I honestly want an answer. Is it due to your earlier misunderstanding of the point of the thread? Or your personal relationship with him, whatever that may be (friend, internet acquaintance, heck spouse, I don't know what it is)? Why would you comment like that toward the guy who got attacked? It's very interesting.

You misunderstand the thread and derail it. Then you comment in a negative way toward a guy who got attacked without provocation. Yes, I said NOTHING to Rich to provoke that. And I'm "a winner"? Come on man. On what planet is that even remotely sensible or humanly decent? There's no reason for that. It's just strange. Wouldn't you agree?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast