Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P0633 skim key

Thumbs down P0633 skim key

Has anyone had this code skim key not programmed in pcm, I had this code come up the other day so I cleared it and it popped back up again. Truck runs fine but the code came back. This was with the stock tune in also. I leave this Sunday for vacation and just wanna be sure this won't cause any problems on my trip.

Thanks guys,
    Buddy
    06 3500
    EFI by Rob @ ATP

MIne comes up with that everynow and then depending on what tune I load. There is an option to enable/disable it in EFI.
    81 C10 Drag Truck-5.9cr- 10.11@132
    02 Ford Pull truck-6.7cr - Waiting on parts
    06 Mega DD-EFIed

Thanks for the reply, could you tell me where the option is to disable it?
    06 3500
    EFI by Rob @ ATP

The SKIM key is related to the VIN, if the VIN is a match to the vehicle then the code should not be present, if you have flashed a tune from another truck the DTC will get set. Or if the tune you have has the theft disabled.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

The invalid SKM Key shows up with a lot of modules, especially the ones that have turbo timer functions.

It's no big deal, usually doesn't light the MIL, it'll just be there as a soft code and doesn't effect anything.

1207 HP / 1612 TQ

Here's something I've noticed, with the VATS disabled. The first time you start the truck after a flash you must cycle the key on-off-on-start, otherwise the engine will shut off.

It's strange that when the ECM is in a RAM truck it doesn't like the VATS turned off, yet this would be something 'normal' if you were doing an engine swap in to another vehicle.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

With VATS disabled the security light on the dash will sometimes blink and other times stay off. I'm trying to get it nailed down to a pattern but it's taking time because every time I do a reflash it seems to change it's game.

EDIT: Here goes... After performing a reflash with VATS disabled, wait for count down to complete, switch key on until the VATS light on the IC goes out, turn key off. At this point the truck should start and run without the VATS light continuously flashing.
    Last edited by LReiff; August 9th, 2011 at 02:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    It's strange that when the ECM is in a RAM truck it doesn't like the VATS turned off, yet this would be something 'normal' if you were doing an engine swap in to another vehicle.
    I tried to flash my dad's 06 since he lost his key. He had a non-security key so i could turn it on. I flashed the truck with the security off, but it still acts like it is on.
    03 5.9L Cummins, Sitting in pieces
    98 5.9L.... Gone to Sweden
    08 D-max, Ol' Faithful....
    Brown's Diesel

Erick,

as far as I know the SKIM key has nothing to do with the actual key itself. It more has to do with the ECM and TIPM having the same VIN. When you flash a file from another OS in the VIN in the ECM changes but the TIPM is left alone..try to start it and the TIPM see's a VIN mismatch and kills the start. Make the ECM VIN match the TIPM VIN then all is good.

I'd try to flash the file in with the correct vehicle VIN (located on the door) with the security re-enabled and see if that works.

If not..then I must be off...

~Les
    Les Szmidt
    2007 5.9 Dodge Ram
    2014 Ram 3500 Aisin tuning Emissions Equipped
    EFI Live Cummins BETA Tester
    Silver Bullet Tuning
    silverbullettuning@gmail.com
    www.youtube.com/ljszmidt
    http://www.facebook.com/SilverBulletTuninig

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast