Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bricked my PCM- What to do?

Default Bricked my PCM- What to do?

I bricked my 99 Trans Am PCM last night, trying to full flash with just a jumper box on the battery.. damn thing locked up right after the flash and won't respond worth a damn.. It runs, but it can't be reflashed. Can I get any 99-07 LS1 style PCM and flash my COS5 into it? I was thinking about buying one of the ones off eBay for $100 shipped.. that program the VIN into the pcm before they ship it. Do I need to buy a new license if I do that? Other option is going to junkyard and buying one out of a Blazer/S10 (my 03 blazer PCM is the same Delphi PCM, i'm pretty sure I can full flash it to the LS1 OS).. What do you guys do when you brick one?

It runs, but it doesn't flash...?

It runs very poorly. It says "Bootloader rejected, bla bla bla.. " I tried reinstalling software for two hours, trying different versions etc, to no avail. I tried every variation of flashing, pulling fuses (did lots of searching), tried flashing with V8 after converting tuning file from .tun, recovery, flashing with key $FFFF, etc etc. I swapped the PCM from my other car (also a '99) and it simulated flash successfully first try. It simply won't boot. If you know a way to recover it, I'm all ears. I kinda want to get a 411 PCM if it will work, because with COS5, its a pain flashing the conversion OS, then moving all the calibrations over one at a time. It'll save time if i can actually use it.

Until then..

I pm'd Tech Support for further guidance.

When you try flashing, you see a text log, can you copy/paste that here (in the box do ctrl-A, ctrl-C, and then paste it in a reply here).
    Last edited by joecar; October 22nd, 2011 at 02:02 PM.

Lifetime Member

Ouch !! Best to charge the vehicle battery prior to tuning (disconnect the charger before beginning) and run the Notebook / Netbook computer on its internal battery.

Try powering both the battery and ignition voltage circuits of the PCM. Then disconnect the battery power circuits - while leaving the ignition circuits powered. After a few seconds remove all power to the PCM. This may reset the PCM (if recoverable).

Regards,
    Taz
    Last edited by Taz; October 21st, 2011 at 02:04 PM. Reason: - typo

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by 67RsCamaroVette View Post
    ... Can I get any 99-07 LS1 style PCM and flash my COS5 into it?
    1999-2002 are 512Kb LS1-B PCMs. 2003-2007 (classic) are 1Mb LS1-B PCMs. These two groups of PCMs are not compatible (i.e. cannot flash a 512Kb tune into a 1Mb PCM)

... Other option is going to junkyard and buying one out of a Blazer/S10 (my 03 blazer PCM is the same Delphi PCM, i'm pretty sure I can full flash it to the LS1 OS) ...
    A 2003 S-truck PCM is a 1Mb LS1-B style.

I had overlooked these comments in my first response - if you tried to flash a 512Kb tune into a 1Mb PCM then it is a brick.

Regards,
    Taz
    Last edited by Taz; October 21st, 2011 at 02:21 PM. Reason: - typo

I'll plug it back in and give it a shot. It says PCM connection OK, it also says that it has no calibration, and I get the endless Bootloader rejected,
    "retrying in 1 second" string. I'm going to the JY tomorrow and looking for a pre-03 PCM. Will a V6 one work from a grand prix etc?
    Last edited by 67RsCamaroVette; October 21st, 2011 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    if you tried to flash a 512Kb tune into a 1Mb PCM then it is a brick.
    Even though I bricked this one, I know the no-no's of tuning (low battery voltage (duh), ETC tables, severely out of limit calibrations, etc etc..) And I learned about ground offsets during my LC1 days (shudder), so I don't use an inverter... As for testing, I didn't actually flash to the other PCM, no sense wasting a license I don't have on a POS blazer. I have used 6 licenses, I don't have any more. If I could transfer the license, I will be eternally grateful. I'll try the ignition trick tomorrow AM. I threw a fresh battery on the car and have it on a 2A trickle.

I found a folder with 29 BLX files that appear to have been made during my flashing attempts.. from 5Pm - 10Pm.. How do I read those?

The orange light (second from the right) flashes quite a bit when IGN is on, I don't know if that means anything or not. Scan software can connect to the PCM, so there's something there.. I just wish I could reflash it.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by 67RsCamaroVette View Post
    ... I'm going to the JY tomorrow and looking for a pre-03 PCM. Will a V6 one work from a grand prix etc? ...
    512Kb LS1-B PCM
    • 1999-2002 truck/SUV (some 1999 & 2000 - 2500/3500 series still used the Vortec "black box" PCM)
    • 2001-2002 full size van (Express / Savana)
    • 2001-2002 S-truck / Astro / Safari van (with 4.3L)
    • 1999-2002 Camaro (V8) / Corvette
    Might be some others that don't come to mind ...

Regards,
    Taz
    Last edited by Taz; October 21st, 2011 at 02:45 PM. Reason: - typo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast