Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: greyish/light black smoke

Default greyish/light black smoke

what could cause this? its between 1000-2000 rpm under normal exceleration. also, you can see a pretty good haze at night with other car headlights behind you that u cant see during the day. to much timing? i haven't messed with main for awhile, but have lowered pilot timing not to long ago. maybe cuz its colder out? dosn't seem to be as bad when it warms up a bit, but its still there. just need some direction. thanks

I think it's impossible to be completely smoke free, but it's very easy to get it to the point where you and I have it - nothing during the day but a haze at night. It's just a side effect of adding more fuel and timing. I think the only way to get rid of it would be go back to severely limited stock-ish timing and fueling. Someone more knowledgeable should chime in!
    EFI Live - The Smarter way to tune!
    2006 Ram 2500 4x4

I've got the same thing. Looks horrible at night in the mirrors huh? Haha.
    Are you getting this on a multiple-event tune or a single event?
    EFI Live, Maxxed Out auto trans, Edge TC, FASS, 35's, 4" lift, E.D. 62/68/12, 70 hp tips.

multiple. pilot quantity is only lowered slightly and blended, pilot timing is lowered through the daily driving range and never sees north of 27*. both are cut out at 2600rpm. duration is only slightly higher then stock until around 2400 rpm. fuel pressure is nice and linear up to 160mpa. max timing is at 46*. truck runs awsome. just wasn't sure if i could get rid of some more of the haze.

I have the same and It does have to do with the temps outside. I did something a while back and i cant find the tune where i fixed it. LOL so im going back through some notes. If i can find it ill let you all know! Also as a side note, check those air filters too.
    06 2500 SLT 4x4 , G56, 105,000 miles, 2nd exhaust manifold, 2nd gen air intake horn, SBC 3600 DD, I. I. 90HP Sticks, straight pipe, manual high idle mod, custom air intake , and pretty much everything else engine wise is stock... LEARNING EFI LIVE

i just went back through my file and lowered duration some more. it is only 10-30us over stock up to 60mm3, then picks up gradually to 100mm3, then its on. will get results up tomorrow. yeah, my filter does need cleeeened bad.

A plugged fuel filter will cause smoke, and is normally the first place I look when mine is smoking. Also I have found that taking teh timing much beyond 50-55% will cause hazing as well as a light grey/black smoke during the day.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

Oh wow that's some super low timing. But good point. Maybe that low timing is partly responsible for the stock tune's lack of haze.

Also is that on a multi event, Fermy? I guess that's not really crazy low if preceded by a pilot shot.
    EFI Live, Maxxed Out auto trans, Edge TC, FASS, 35's, 4" lift, E.D. 62/68/12, 70 hp tips.

Try and pull some more duration out of the 30-60mm3 and 25-100mpa. I've actually pulled so much out of mine that I'm actually below the stock pulse with and I'm running stock injectors. Since I've done that it has really helped the keep the smoke down.
    06 QCLB, DRW
    Single pump
    Single turbo
    EFILive 772hp 1398tq

gordon@innovativediesel.com

don't have much feedback. it was raining here this morning so i couldn't tell what it was doin. gordon, i did pull a gooood bit out of it yesterday. i checked with the comparison tool and had it below stock levels at a few spots and really close on the rest. off the next 3 days, so i'll have a chance to mess with it. also, what are some of u running for timing at idle? i'm at 18* in main. anyone running higher/little lower? trying to see what idles the quietest/smoothest

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast