Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: turbo tuning?

Default turbo tuning?

Since I only have a stock turbo now, I haven't had to worry about spool up. I am considering a 64 or 66 turbo and a set of 90hp injectors, but I do tow with this truck and need to keep good low rpm spool and power. Ultimately I am chasing the 650hp area, so I need some good airflow.

What I am wondering is from those that have tuned a larger single with EFI, how do they spool? Can you tow with them and keep some low end power? I know that a larger single is not an ideal towing turbo, but I figured with how we can control timing and duration so well that it is doable?

Thanks!
    06 CC DRW, DTT, EFI Live.

473HP

Timing is KEY for spooling...keep it low until boost comes up then bring it in to add power.

I'm running a 66mm and 90hp injectors...and I'd have no problem towing 10k.
    Les Szmidt
    2007 5.9 Dodge Ram
    2014 Ram 3500 Aisin tuning Emissions Equipped
    EFI Live Cummins BETA Tester
    Silver Bullet Tuning
    silverbullettuning@gmail.com
    www.youtube.com/ljszmidt
    http://www.facebook.com/SilverBulletTuninig

So when do you start to get decent boost, like 1600 rpm?

473HP

With proper throttle control I can have 10psi by 16-1800 and full 50psi by 2100
    Les Szmidt
    2007 5.9 Dodge Ram
    Silver Bullet Tuning
    www.youtube.com/ljszmidt

Quote Originally Posted by 2007 5.9 View Post
    Timing is KEY for spooling...keep it low until boost comes up then bring it in to add power.

I'm running a 66mm and 90hp injectors...and I'd have no problem towing 10k.
    Something I want to try to point out here. Les's setup is less than ideal for towing heavy on a hot tune..well, that WAS the case with previous box tunes. You had to reflash the truck with a different, "tamer" tune on the box tune. A lot of people think this is still the case with EFILive and are holding off using EFILive till the Switchable Tuning comes out. I am here to say, from a experienced user's standpoint of switches with Duramaxes, it is not needed. Handy? Sure. It has it's place. BUT YOU can have your cake and eat it too!! Provided you know what your doing, it IS possible hit the track and then the fields to tow your round bales of hay around without "de-tuning."

Same goes for if starts to sprinkle a little rain. You don't have to have a heart attack that your truck's gonna go careening sideways off the road because of the hot box tune you're running to support your higher hp truck. EFILive makes it possible to tune all that garbage out IF you know what you're doing or if you let one of the finer tuner's on here handle it for you and develop a good repore with them and learn.

-Andrew
    06 5.9L, EFILive / Silver Bullet Tuning
    06 LBZ, EFILive

Quote Originally Posted by FUBAR View Post
    Something I want to try to point out here. Les's setup is less than ideal for towing heavy on a hot tune..well, that WAS the case with previous box tunes. You had to reflash the truck with a different, "tamer" tune on the box tune. A lot of people think this is still the case with EFILive and are holding off using EFILive till the Switchable Tuning comes out. I am here to say, from a experienced user's standpoint of switches with Duramaxes, it is not needed. Handy? Sure. It has it's place. BUT YOU can have your cake and eat it too!! Provided you know what your doing, it IS possible hit the track and then the fields to tow your round bales of hay around without "de-tuning."

Same goes for if starts to sprinkle a little rain. You don't have to have a heart attack that your truck's gonna go careening sideways off the road because of the hot box tune you're running to support your higher hp truck. EFILive makes it possible to tune all that garbage out IF you know what you're doing or if you let one of the finer tuner's on here handle it for you and develop a good repore with them and learn.

-Andrew
    Well said Andrew!!!
    Les Szmidt
    2007 5.9 Dodge Ram
    Silver Bullet Tuning
    www.youtube.com/ljszmidt

So Les, just cause I'm also just learning where optimal timing can be, I love this topic.
    YES I've noticed that a stock timing table comes in a couple degrees ATDC in the low end. When you say keep timing low, can you give a rough idea of where you like that timing? Like say for towing we'd do what, 80-100mm3, 750-2000RPM, and 50% TP%? Just as rough numbers. You changing that range would be even better so I know what you mean. I'm really trying to find the best area. I KNOW when I took my tune from 5* BTDC and moved it to 0-1* BTDC, it spooled faster from just that little bit.

And if I'm not mistaken, if we added a little timing down low, to just before we start losing power (found by sweet spotting on the dyno of course), we'd pick up a small bit of fuel economy due to the more complete burn, but we'd also lose some power cause of the slower spool. Am I even right on this as I understand diesel injection timing?

FUBAR - I agree. It's so nice to know we can have economy from 0-33% TP%, towing from 34-85% TP%, and performance from 86-100% TP%. Theoretically.
    EFI Live, Maxxed Out auto trans, Edge TC, FASS, 35's, 4" lift, E.D. 62/68/12, 70 hp tips.

I actually enjoy driving the hopped up 5.9s in my area now :-)...before it was strictly..."ehh lets take my truck". lol
    -Kory

I'm out of ideas? Nah trick... When in doubt, 0xFFFF it out!

http://www.PPEI.com/

So with the timing control, there should be no reason that I couldnt tow in the mountains with a 64? Sounds pretty cool. Guess that I will just have to buck up and buy the stuff, try it and report back!

473HP

Given a decent tune and a polite right foot, towing should be easy
    Les Szmidt
    2007 5.9 Dodge Ram
    Silver Bullet Tuning
    www.youtube.com/ljszmidt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast