Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manual 4l80 swap question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Manual 4l80 swap question

I have an 07 classic chevy silverado 2wd with a 4l60e. I just purchased a 4l80 with full manual valve body. My thinking is that I need to swap in a manual trans segment. How would I go about this? I have 12597120 OS

Any help is great appreciated. Thanks

Default 4L80 swap questions

I just purchased a 4l80 with manual valve body. I currently have a 4l60e and OS 12597120. My thinking is I need to somehow swap in a manual trans segment. Is this correct? How would I do this? Thanks

Lifetime Member

Taz is saying to do this: find a manual transmission file for the same OS id and year as your car...

i.e. find a 2003 Corvette Manual Transmission file that has the same OS id...

and then perform the segment swap/copy

[ open target file as calibration, open donor file as alternate, go Edit->Copy Entire Segment and choose the segment;

this segment gets copied from alternate (donor) file to calibration (target) file;

then save the calibration (target) file with a new name (use the _nnnn incrementing filename feature) ]

So the trick is finding the same year file with the same OS id...

if you can't find one, then you have to copy all of your tables to a 12212156 file of the same year/throttle/transmission and proceed from there.

I'll let Taz add his comments/corrections to what I said
    Last edited by Slowrc; October 24th, 2011 at 08:58 PM.
    00 GMC,LQ4, Jarrett Faggart pistons, callies rods, Ebay studs, LS9 gaskets, 317's, KBRacing KIT, PT76/75, treadstone intercooler,Eboost2, dual walbro, FIC 75lb, br7ef, Trutrac, Shaftmasters Shaft, 3.5" DP w/4" magnaflow dumped, turbo blanket, Circle D 3200, Jake's built 4l80w/brake, hydroboost, EFILive v2,Lunati dual springs,222/226 cam, cal-tracs, QA1 front shocks, Street/strip Bogarts,Drum swap, Alky-control,MSD8733 936 HP to the tire DD.

Lifetime Member

Hello Slowrc,

Two identical posts initially created ... this one was deemed as the duplicate .... conversation occurring in the thread linked below ....

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....swap-question&

Regards,
    Taz

Lifetime Member

Hello Phantom,

12597120 is a 2007 classic (Gen III) OS - used in full size trucks, vans, and SUVs. Guessing there wasn't many OEM vehicles using that OS which came equipped with a manual transmission - which would have the donor segment you want. I don't have one on file.

You may end up running an auto tune and disabling unnecessary functions within the tune.

Regards,
    Taz

Will that cause any drivability issues? I can't think of any off the top of my head but just searching for answers. Thanks

Lifetime Member

Unless this is a dedicated competition vehicle, a full manual valve body is a driveability issue in itself ... thats a lot of shifting on the daily commute ... hopefully you have an aftermarket floor mounted shifter that ratchets both up & down.

Are you still running a lockup converter ?

As with a manual transmission vehicle the PCM primarily needs VSS input ... also brake input if you maintain a lockup converter.

Regards,
    Taz

It will still be a lockup converter. I don't mind the shifting. It's just a weekend toy. Floor shifter, check.

I just don't want it to die when coming to a stop or things like that.

What functions will I need to look at to disable in the pcm?

Lifetime Member

Custom applications are a great way to get to know your tune and the EFILive software.

Functionality in the tune is disabled or "turned off" by setting the diagnostic routine to "Not Reported". This is adjusted in the Engine Diagnostics folder ... Engine DTC Processing Enablers subfolder ... and in the Transmission Diagnostics folder ... multiple subfolders.

If you are not sure what to change ... not a problem ... this is not a daily driver - broader margin for error (or learning) ... you can drive it briefly, then pull up the DTCs that have been set, disable these ... then repeat as necessary.

Regards,
    Taz

[ I merged the two threads ]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast