Thread: My 2002 ls1 pcm went dead.

Smile My 2002 ls1 pcm went dead.

I was trying to flash in a new cal in my pcm this morning before I went to work. I was using v2 without my computer attached.
    There was a fault message about the boot loader and after that the pcm stopped responding. Same code if I tried to read fault codes, flashing cal or full flash. ($0281). The V2 did not get any respond from the pcm at all and the engine did not start.
    After work I checked that the v2 had the latest updates and copied the files to it again. I hooked up a power supply on my battery with 14.2 V. Still it was no response from the pcm. I left the car with the ignition on for an hour or so, still no response.
    I hooked up my laptop to the v2 opened the scan 7.5 and went to the “program pcm with currently loaded calibration”. As I usually do, I pressed the check status button before I tried to program the cal. There was some communication with the v2 and then it stopped with a red line at the bottom telling something like no response.
    Now I was sure that I was the proud owner of a new doorstopper.
    Then I tried to press the button ones more. The fuel pump started, the program windows showed communication, and it said ok at the end. I started to program the cal, everything went ok and the car started as normal.

Lifetime Member

So it didnt actually die then? You were able to flash a working tune into your car and drive it correct? This happens every now and again, usually caused by an aftermarket device on the data bus. Do you have an aux adapter, aftermarket stereo, etc?
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Yes it came back from the dead.
    This is a custom install with no body computer or other equipment on the data bus. I had at least 15 flashing attempts with the v2 before I tryed with the computer.
    I would have disconnected the battery and tried the other stuff found on the forum before I changed the pcm. But it was a bad experience sitting there with a dead pcm.
    Maybe it is an idea to make a sticky with the correct way to go when the pcm stops responding during a flash?
    I know for sure that my spare pcm is going to stay in my trunk, and not in my garage.
    Last edited by tor1965; November 2nd, 2011 at 12:50 AM.

Lifetime Member

Good to hear, without any other modules on the databus Im surprised you had this much trouble... That error code is "No Data Received, the FS did not receive valid data from the vehicle." I assume you had the key to run during all the flashes, have you had any issues before that might suggest a wiring issue? Thinking out loud, maybe try BBF'ing it again and recording a trace file and send it support. Might be something to do with the standalone operation of the PCM? Did it always start flashing properly, then fail partway through? That points to something else communicating on the databus or maybe electrical interference.

Have a look at this support post: How to Capture Trace Files

The only thing you can do when a PCM stops responding in the middle of a flash is to keep flashing it again and again. Ive spent 45-60min before on the side of the road with my buddies TrailBlazer because he has so much aftermarket crap on it that I have to pull a bunch of fuses halfway through the flashing process.
    ~Erik~
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.

Which V7 build version...?

Which V2 firmware version...?

The V2 is bootblock 2.07.03 and firmware 2.07.22

The V 7 is 7.5.7 180

20111101_140409_download.rar

Lifetime Member

Thought it was in the link I posted, but those are unreadable by everyone (I assume) but the EFILive dev team. Email support@efilive.com with them, a description of the problem, and a link to this thread.
    ~Erik~