Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crank Relearn

Default Crank Relearn

This is my first post and I am new to EFILive V2.

My truck is 1989 GMC, I put a 98 5.7L Vortec and 4L60E transmission in it in 1998, my harness is hooked up to where my 89 computer was, a retired GM electrical engineer, built the harness, he used a 96 black box instead of a 98 because of VATS. I did the 411 PCM upgrade, and it pinned out almost exactly the same as Lextechs spreadsheet, My old setup has worked flawlessly for 13 years, but who knows. I do have the 1998 dual cat setup with the 4-02 sensors. I did not get any check engine codes before the 411 PCM upgrade, I have a OBDII diagnostic port under the dash. The engine is stock except for a cold air intake, headers and 2 flowmasters.

Probably too much information

After the swap the truck runs very good, I get 2 DTC codes, P405 and P1665 which are the ERG ( it is unhooked right now and the EVAP, my 1989 evap worked with the 1996 black box.
    When I go to do a Crank relearn I get (in red) "no reply, try again". I tried 3 times. I followed the directions from this site, had the park brake set, my foot on the brake, and brought it up to over 4000 rpm is less than 10 seconds, the motor does not stumble and I get the red message immediately.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

David

Default Crank Relearn Problem

I am new to the forum and to EFILive V2, struggling a little with the learning curve.

When I try to do a Crank Relearn following the instructions on this site, with the park brake on, the brake pedal on, and I bring the truck to over 4000 rpm within 10 seconds, I immediately get this message in red "no reply, try again". I tried 3 times with no luck.

My truck is an 1989 GMC that I changed from a V6 5 speed to a 1998 L31 5.7L Vortec and 4L60E transmission in 1998. The wiring harness was built by a retired GM Electrical Engineer, using a 1996 black box replacing the 89 computer. The truck has 4 02 sensors and dual 98 cats, a OBII port under the dash and had no DTC codes before the upgrade. I upgraded to the 411 PCM using Lextech's spreadsheet for a 1996. Now I get 2 DTC codes, P405 and P1665, the EGR is not connected at this time and the 1989 EVAP worked with the 1996 black box. The motor runs as good as it did before the swap. The motor is stock except for a cold air intake, headers and dual flowmaster exhaust.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated,

David

Does your engine have a distributor...?

Lifetime Member

Start by disabling the DTC for the EGR as you do not have it. There are some DTCs that when they are set will not allow the PCM to complete the crank relearn procedure. So it worked before the 96 -> LS1B PCM upgrade and doesnt now? Hmmm if the wiring's correct then either the 89 EVAP system isnt compatible or theres something else going on. I havent dealt with many LS1 PCMs, the P10 and E67 are more where my expertise lies.

Anyone else have an idea?
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Yes it is the stock 98 distributor, I am using MSD wires.

David

Hi David

[ I merged your two threads together; one thread was marked moderated probably because it was your first thread ]

Welcome to the forum

I do have an EGR valve but it is unplugged, Lextech said that I had to run a new wire from the 411 PCM to the EGR valve and replace one of the wires for it to work, I just haven't had time to do that yet. When I first did the swap the truck would hardly idle so I unplugged the EGR valve.

David

I hate to ask a dumb question, but how do you disable a DTC, do you do it in the Scan or Tune software. I looked at the manuals but could not find it.

David

Lifetime Member

You open your tune file using V7.5 Tune tool, then go to Engine Diagnostics and disable the codes in there.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Thanks for all of the help so far.
    I ran the wire from the PCM to the EGR valve and it is now working properly, no codes now. When I try to do the crank relearn as soon as I press the activate button I still get this message "no reply, try again".

David

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast