Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LBZ Idle

Default LBZ Idle

Hi I was just curious if there was a way to set up one of my DSP5 tunes to allow me to raise the idle for cold weather, or is there only the base idle? It would be nice to be able to have a higher idle on one of my tunes, then I could select it whenever I needed it

Any insight? Thanks

As of my knowledge, you don't have an Idle table in each DSP, therefore, you can only control the idle of the whole truck, not each individual tune. Are you wanting to have a higher idle during colder weather for helping warm up the engine, or do you want a higher idle all the time? If option 1, increase your idle speed in the lower ECT temperatures in your base idle speed. If option 2, you might just have to flash in a higher idle speed when the truck is warm during cold seasons. So far that would be the only way I could figure it out...

From my understanding use 1 of ur spots on switch using stock tune bang idle 2 1000rpm when ready 2 roll move switch 2 diff spot. I don't have dsp5 yet but that's what i would do c ya

Quote Originally Posted by Bearce Sr View Post
    From my understanding use 1 of ur spots on switch using stock tune bang idle 2 1000rpm when ready 2 roll move switch 2 diff spot. I don't have dsp5 yet but that's what i would do c ya
    spoken like a true armchair ASSuming tuning expert. Why would you try to help him out and offer advice when you dont even have DSP5, or any knowledge about it?????? I dont understand that about forums. If someone doesnt know the answer to something, and they ask a question, do you think they would want an "answer" from someone who ALSO doesnt know the answer to the question?????

Thats like me barging in on a meeting of nuclear physicists and saying "oh hey guys, have you tried making the reactor work this way? I think that would work great!"

and no, this theory/idea of yours has zero possibility of working, for the reason that andrewjamesbond said DIRECTLY above your post. Each DSP tune does not have its own idle table.

The only way of doing it would be to use the main base-idle table vs. ECT, setting the idle speed high below, say 40* ECT. But then again, I dont know how that would affect the park/drive idle offset....if the engine would still try to use the base-idle tables even when in drive. In which case the aformentioned trick would not work, because then as soon as you put it in drive, the truck would try to push through the brakes.
    Last edited by DURAtotheMAX; November 9th, 2011 at 04:01 AM.
    2005 Silverado, CC/SB, 4x4, LT, LILLY/Allison
    12.9s @ 108 mph

many thanks to Ross and Paul

What Im trying to accomplish seems like it cannot be done with the current DSP5 configuration, I dont want to turn up the base idle of the whole truck, because as DURAtotheMAX states the idle increases for the whole truck, and its not good for the transmission, I tried to fiddle with the idle before and didn't like the result a whole lot

I was thinking that I could use one of the DSP positions as a manually controllable High Idle of sorts, for when its -35C and I want the RPMs to go up to 1200-1400rpm instead of 1000rpm, thats one thing I miss about my Cummins is the ability to manually increase the idle using the cruise control function, when in park you hit the cruise button the rpm would kick up to 800 and by pressing the accel/decel buttons you could increase the idle to up to 1400rpm if you wanted

The LBZ-LMM only have an automatic High idle which is OK, but not to my liking, and I'm unsure of any mods that can allow it like you are able to do on the LB7

On the LBZ, you can set up a high idle/PTO switch, and use the cruise control buttons.
    Michael, Systems Engineer 04.5 D-max LLY, Phoenix, Arizona Email
    Custom Tuning Services
    DURAMAX/CUMMINS ECM's TCM's for sale, all years, 20% wholesale discount available
    EFILive's first VGT "Software Wastegate Tune"

^^^ Thought that was only with the LB7... hmmmm... how do you go about doing this? Is it any different than the LB7's?

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by DURAtotheMAX View Post
    spoken like a true armchair ASSuming tuning expert. Why would you try to help him out and offer advice when you dont even have DSP5, or any knowledge about it?????? I dont understand that about forums. If someone doesnt know the answer to something, and they ask a question, do you think they would want an "answer" from someone who ALSO doesnt know the answer to the question?????

Thats like me barging in on a meeting of nuclear physicists and saying "oh hey guys, have you tried making the reactor work this way? I think that would work great!"

and no, this theory/idea of yours has zero possibility of working, for the reason that andrewjamesbond said DIRECTLY above your post. Each DSP tune does not have its own idle table.

The only way of doing it would be to use the main base-idle table vs. ECT, setting the idle speed high below, say 40* ECT. But then again, I dont know how that would affect the park/drive idle offset....if the engine would still try to use the base-idle tables even when in drive. In which case the aformentioned trick would not work, because then as soon as you put it in drive, the truck would try to push through the brakes.
    I disagree. It would be pretty simple to make a tune in the DSP idle higher than another tune. It wouldn't be very good if you tried to drive it in that tune though. It would be like doing a mild boosted launch all the time. If you really want to do it, you can do it by modifying the torque based fuel table for whichever tune you want to be your "high idle" tune.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshH View Post
    I disagree. It would be pretty simple to make a tune in the DSP idle higher than another tune. It wouldn't be very good if you tried to drive it in that tune though. It would be like doing a mild boosted launch all the time. If you really want to do it, you can do it by modifying the torque based fuel table for whichever tune you want to be your "high idle" tune.
    ^^^This is why I love tuning! I never would have thought of that. This won't make it lope, will it?

Lifetime Member

What little I've played with it, it hasn't. You just have to pick a fuel quantity (probably somewhere around 25 mm3) and extend it all the way down to the 0 ft-lbs row out to whatever RPM you want it to idle at.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast