Thread: Transplanting e67 into PCM vehicle

Default Transplanting e67 into PCM vehicle

Ok, I have a 2005 CTS-V but would like to upgrade my PCM to the E67 ecu...

I also bought the harness and ecu for a 2006 CTS-V for simplicity, but the body ecus do not recognize the new e67 due to communication differences.

I would like to know how I may get the e67 to communicate in class 2 with the rest of my car so I may use the new e67 instead of the PCM.

I want to change for I would like to take advantage of the superior engine control.

Eagerly awaiting your replies

Naf
    American Muscle, European Design, Japanese Tactics

Bump.

Lifetime Member

Hello Naf,

Don't see many (make that any) 2004 / 2005 CTS-Vs in this area - not sure if they were sold in Canada - the newer CTS-Vs are here though.

OK ... believe your 2005 model is an LS6 Gen III (24x CKP, 1x CMP) controlled by an LS1-B PCM.

The E67 ECM is for use with Gen IV engines (58x CKP, 4x CMP) - and will not work with your LS6.

That's the first hurdle ... the second is communication ... E67 ECMs use CAN BUS communications, sometimes in transitional years the BCM was configured to communicate with the ECM in CAN BUS, then with the IPC in serial data (in this case the BCM was the "gatekeeper" as it were).

Some E67 communicate with the IPC directly in serial data, but still in CAN BUS with the BCM.

I am the self professed Gen III guy, new to Gen IVs - so the above may not be 100% accurate - merely a reflection of my rudimentary understanding of Gen IV systems at this time.

Regards,
    Taz

Taz,

I full agree with you,the issue is communication. I have all the needed engine parts, its just gettin the engine to communicate with the bcm.

The biggest issue is gettin a class 2 communication out of the e67 so the vehicle can communicate with it. The can bus is faster and uses another voltage, while the class 2 uses 7v and a much slower bit rate.

My upside to making this happen is i get a quicker ecu and more accurate engine control. The E67 is much better than the LS1-B.

I could get a stand alone harness but i would still need class 2 communication for my cluster and other bells and whistles.

There has to be an option out there for my request, i could not be the first person who wants to upgrade his ecu from old to new

Lifetime Member

Look at the 07-09 TBSS OSs, they're Class 2/VPW comms throughout the truck, but use CAN for ECM/TCM communication. The OS outputs a signal to the cluster via a VSS wire. Not sure how the BCM interacts with the ECM, havent had a reason to look into it (if I tune one, it's in a TBSS!).
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

found out i am also class two, just need to move some wires around to get the bcm to communicate with the ecm...

Havin a pow wow with my electricians about doin this...

For a 2004-2005 CTS-V, it is possible to upgrade the engine module from PCM to a e67 found in a 2006-2007. ONLY ISSUE REALLY is no cruise control. And you have to validate the ecm when you want to scan the parameters.

I activated the vats patch did a full flash and she starts everytime. The early e67 has class ii communications which works in our favor, but comes with the same airflow ristriction of 512g/s

Quote Originally Posted by Naf View Post
    For a 2004-2005 CTS-V, it is possible to upgrade the engine module from PCM to a e67 found in a 2006-2007. ONLY ISSUE REALLY is no cruise control. And you have to validate the ecm when you want to scan the parameters.

I activated the vats patch did a full flash and she starts everytime. The early e67 has class ii communications which works in our favor, but comes with the same airflow ristriction of 512g/s
    Why not use an E67 from a V8 Colorado?

I think they had V8 Colorado's up until 2010, so you wouldnt have the 512g/s airflow restriction....Colorado's were still Class 2 bus, and used a resistor ladder cruise switch. The only other Class 2 vehicle that used the E67 around the same time (Trailblazer) used 3 discrete +12v inputs for cruise....so the Colorado cal is the closest match.
    2005 Silverado, CC/SB, 4x4, LT, LILLY/Allison
    12.9s @ 108 mph

many thanks to Ross and Paul

My OS is currently 12605669, the 2009 Colorado OS is 12630465, lookin through the OS reference sheet on the forum, it doesnt look like i am able to upload the OS on my e67.

I may try and find another e67 in the junk yard, but then i am out of a license fee if it doesnt work...

Additionally the cruise control just wont work, i have to probably upgrade the BCM...This way i get the signal from inside the car out to the ecu...

Quote Originally Posted by Naf View Post
    Additionally the cruise control just wont work, i have to probably upgrade the BCM...This way i get the signal from inside the car out to the ecu...
    The first gen CTS (pre-08?) used Class 2 for all body comms, and the cruise control was a simple resistor ladder going right to the ECM. Has nothing to do with the BCM. Colorado is the same way.

The various databus protocols used on GM vehicles through this mid-2000's to late 2000's are literally the most misunderstood things. I feel like I have to re-explain which bus was used where daily. This was the transitional period from Class 2 to GMLAN, and many cars used a mish-mash of databusses which can cause massive confusion. Just because the ECM and TCM on a vehicle uses GMLAN, doesnt mean the whole vehicle is GMLAN/CAN...

And to add to the confusion, many vehicles used Class 2 for all body comms, but used GMLAN for diagnostics/reflashing only, etc.

The only vehicles GM ever made that used the BCM as a GMLAN to Class 2 gateway from a GMLAN-speaking ECM/TCM to a Class 2 body was the 04-06 Equinox and 05-13 Corvette. All other vehicles that used later ECM's in older-gen Class 2 bodies had an ECM that spoke both GMLAN (to the TCM, and OBD port) and Class 2 (to the BCM, and rest of the body) simultaneously.

There was never any Class 2 era vehicle that did cruise control over the databus. All Class 2 vehicles either had a resistor ladder switch wired directly to the ECM (most cars and the Colorado), or 3 discrete 12v inputs (full size trucks/SUV's, and the trailblazer/SSR). EDIT: The 05-13 Corvette did cruise over the databus, but remember it had the BCM as a Class 2 <--> GMLAN gateway.

The E67 and E40 were the only two GM ECM's that could speak both GMLAN and Class 2 simultaneously as far as I know.
    2005 Silverado, CC/SB, 4x4, LT, LILLY/Allison
    12.9s @ 108 mph

many thanks to Ross and Paul