Thread: Need help E38 problem

Default Need help E38 problem

I have a e38 running an L9H 6.2 vvt/6l80. Tune is stock Silverado with vats patch applied. Runs great but in the last 5,000 miles it has gone into a limp mode, no power. Check engine light comes on, no communication with ECM. Cannot read or clear codes. Remove power from ECM reconnect and it's good for another few hundred miles.

I bought this ECM with a hpt file and ran it with no problems, reflashed it with tis then efi live. Support had me update to the newest versions and reflash. I thought this helped but a week later same thing. The one time I got a code it was a PCM corrupt code.

Purchased a new e38, flashed it with tis then efi live, runs great. Did it again today.

Any help is appreciated, thanks Robbie.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by VEGASROBBI View Post
    I have a e38 running an L9H 6.2 vvt/6l80. Tune is stock Silverado with vats patch applied. Runs great but in the last 5,000 miles it has gone into a limp mode, no power. Check engine light comes on, no communication with ECM. Cannot read or clear codes. Remove power from ECM reconnect and it's good for another few hundred miles.

I bought this ECM with a hpt file and ran it with no problems, reflashed it with tis then efi live. Support had me update to the newest versions and reflash. I thought this helped but a week later same thing. The one time I got a code it was a PCM corrupt code.

Purchased a new e38, flashed it with tis then efi live, runs great. Did it again today.

Any help is appreciated, thanks Robbie.
    Which code? And do you have a bunch of codes set to not reported?

It threw a p0606 "control module internal performance". Reading up on this code told me it has to do with the relationship between ecm integrity and the tac,(throttle actuator control).

I build these harnesses for our Jeep LS JK conversions and we twist the wire pairs going to the app.

I drove to Prescott yeserday from Vegas, about a 500 mile round trip. I drove while watching a scanner. Interestingly just before it went into the reduced power mode it threw a p2122, app ckt. Then the cel came on, lost power and no more communication.

This Rubicon has the optional sound system and there is what I believe to be an amplifier adjacent to the accelerator pedal. The wires going to the app were touching the amplifier.

As an experiment I layed the app harness along the top of the amplifier. Within 100 miles it went into the reduced power mode twice, before I got to Kingman. In Kingman I routed the harness as far away from the amplifier as I could get it. I then drove the remaining 400 miles with no problem.

This is still a working theory but the results seem to indicate some kind of em interference.

I will continue to test and let you know. Any feedback is apreciated.

Only a few codes have been deactivated, all the emmision stuff is there and monitored.

Thanks Robbie

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by VEGASROBBI View Post

I build these harnesses for our Jeep LS JK conversions and we twist the wire pairs going to the app.

Thanks Robbie
    P0606 is an ETC controller fault. There are some other posts on here re getting a sub code that tells you exactly what the P0606 is.

Assuming you sodder and heatshrink the join after you twist the wires together?

hi
    I am new user to e38 v2 scan can you please tell me how to open speed limit, please answer me as soon as possible.
    thanks

Default update

I isolated the wires and relocated the amp. Put another 1500 miles on with no problem.