Thread: Limp(s) and "invisible" limp

Question Limp(s) and "invisible" limp

I need to learn more about limp mode one these trucks. First of all, is it true that only fuel and transmission issues can cause it? For example, if a wiring problem causes limp, is it because it makes the computer "thinks" it has a fuel or tranny problem?

The reason I ask is because I had a customer with a LiLY that began to experience limp increasingly after a good tune and I kept telling him it was the filter until we found out some of the injector harness was rubbing and grounding out on a bracket (there is a bulletin on it). But why did he start experiencing it more after the tune? Is it because with more power and driven more aggressively it flexes the harness more, or could it be something in the tune makes it more sensitive to reporting the failiure?? (not on purpose). I would think either the first one or since there is more demand for fuel it fails more often?

Also, how about disabling limp mode? I know the safeguards are there for good reason and a little wear has already occurred by the time it limps, but decreasing the occurrence would improve drive-ability and satisfaction for the customers while they are saving up for say a lift pump or a torque converter.

Finally, what are the likely causes of the invisible "limps" or hesitations that do not set check engine lights or codes. I suspect defuel, no? I used run a smooth tune that would fall on its face and hit a wall for a second in the higher gears every once in a blue moon, like monthly. Never flashed the PRNDL or MIL, and no 700 or 87 codes.

I know very well that logging can and will give me more info on this when it comes to specific trucks, just looking for general ideas. And what should I log? Thanks!!!
    '12 Caprice PPV 6.0 L77 - daily transportation
    8.7 @ 84 (1/8 mile) bolt-ons

'02 Silverado RCSB 5.3 L59 - regularly street driven
    8.2 @ 86 (1/8 mile) stock cam and spray
    8.6 @ 84 (1/8 mile) cam and heads no spray

Our YOUTUBE CHANNEL featuring the Silverado

I have rarely seen engine limp mode in the LLY. But I know fuel pressure is the biggest cause of the phantom limps/hesitation you speak of. FPRV comes to mind. Your harness rubthrough just sounds like a coincidence, it is a common LLY issue.
    Michael, Systems Engineer 04.5 D-max LLY, Phoenix, Arizona Email
    Custom Tuning Services
    DURAMAX/CUMMINS ECM's TCM's for sale, all years, 20% wholesale discount available
    EFILive's first VGT "Software Wastegate Tune"

Thanks Michael! My LLY guy said the problem completely went away after he fixed the harness. And also, on LBZ /LMM I have also seen P0101 which may cause a non fuel / trans related limp (???). Can EGR codes / problems cause reduced power mode?
    '12 Caprice PPV 6.0 L77 - daily transportation
    8.7 @ 84 (1/8 mile) bolt-ons

'02 Silverado RCSB 5.3 L59 - regularly street driven
    8.2 @ 86 (1/8 mile) stock cam and spray
    8.6 @ 84 (1/8 mile) cam and heads no spray

Our YOUTUBE CHANNEL featuring the Silverado