Thread: Blue Screen of death on laptop startup.

Default Blue Screen of death on laptop startup.

Hello, I am having an issue with my new Asus U56E-RBL7 laptop and the flashscan V2 box. If I have the USB connected with the laptop off, and turn on the laptop, I get a blue screen of death on the laptop. But if I plug in the flashscan after it turns on, everything works just fine.

Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks!

Never had that happen because of USB device not inserted , had a bad device that would crash system when plugged in .
    What is BSoD error code ?
    Should give some indication of error (of course you can contact MS Support and wait for answer , ROFL ) , there is a error log as well when you get into Winders , of course you can run a output code in Command Prompt also .
    Google the error code .
    Last edited by Chevy366; November 26th, 2011 at 08:46 AM.
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Thanks for the reply, here is a quick shot of the laptop with my phone:

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

A blue screen of death can be generated when the following conditions are in place:

1. More than one* FTDI USB device is connected to the computer when the computer is booted.
    2. The FTDI driver version is the old version: i.e. V2.04.04

* In our testing we can only make it happen if multiple FTDI devices are connected, however It may be possible that it also occurs if one FTDI device is connected and one or more non-FTDI devices are connected.

If you upgrade to the new FTDI drivers: i.e. V2.08.14 then the blue screen of death does not occur.
    However, we have had reports from some customers that using the latest FTDI drivers causes the V7 software to hang.

So your choice is:
    1. Install the latest drivers and check that the V7 software works as expected.
    or
    2. Install the old drivers and only connect FTDI devices after boot up.

You can easily swap between driver versions using the V8 software: "EFILive USB Manager".
    Make sure to right click on the "EFILive USB Manager" shortcut and select "Run as Administrator"

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

I only had the efi Live flashcan connected via USB, it was in the usb 3.0 slot if that matters at all.

I use the 7.5 software, the flashscan box is up to date, I'll try to update the driver on the laptop.

Thanks, I also sent you an email about getting rid of the "demo" popup.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    A blue screen of death can be generated when the following conditions are in place:

1. More than one* FTDI USB device is connected to the computer when the computer is booted.
    2. The FTDI driver version is the old version: i.e. V2.04.04

* In our testing we can only make it happen if multiple FTDI devices are connected, however It may be possible that it also occurs if one FTDI device is connected and one or more non-FTDI devices are connected.

If you upgrade to the new FTDI drivers: i.e. V2.08.14 then the blue screen of death does not occur.
    However, we have had reports from some customers that using the latest FTDI drivers causes the V7 software to hang.

So your choice is:
    1. Install the latest drivers and check that the V7 software works as expected.
    or
    2. Install the old drivers and only connect FTDI devices after boot up.

You can easily swap between driver versions using the V8 software: "EFILive USB Manager".
    Make sure to right click on the "EFILive USB Manager" shortcut and select "Run as Administrator"

Regards
    Paul
    This worked flawlessly, thanks so much!

I thought I had the latest driver installed, I was wrong!

Lifetime Member

If you're still in demo mode, you didnt enter the license information correctly off the blue card included with your V2. Make sure you select Commercial Scan & Tune.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    If you're still in demo mode, you didnt enter the license information correctly off the blue card included with your V2. Make sure you select Commercial Scan & Tune.
    Ha, I kept putting it in as personal, commercial worked, thanks again to you guys!