Thread: Kodiak 06 LLY tuning

Default Kodiak 06 LLY tuning

My buddy has an 06 Kodiak with an LLY engine, but I had to select an LBZ controller, so can I just use the LBZ scripts to tune it??

Also it has no Tow/Haul button, just an O/D OFF switch, is there any way I can wire in a Tow/Haul switch? He really wants two different shift patterns. If i can wire in a tow/haul switch, can I just do a full reflash from say an 06 LLY pickup trans tune?

Here are the tune files

Wayne_06_Kodiak_ECM.tun
    Wayne_06_Kodiak_TCM.tun
    -John

1991 RCSB 2WD Sierra LQ4 swap, 220/224 112 cam, Twin VSR 6766 turbos
    4L80e w/shift kit, PY 3600, and 3.73 gears.
    22 PSI and E85, 4300# with driver. 9.7@138, 1.47 sixty
    :drivin:

Lifetime Member

All 06 to 07.5 trucks use the same ECM. They just have different calibrations in them. That's why GM calls them an LLY. Anything you have from an LBZ will work on that ECM.

As far as the TCM, I can't really help you there. I believe the TCMs are physically and internally the same, but they run different programming. Since there is no way to full flash a 6 speed TCM, you may have to swap the TCM in order to get the truck out of T/H mode. I can't look at the tunes right now, but if the normal shift tables are the same as the tow/haul tables, you may be able to wire in a switch and adjust one table or the other. From what I understand, those TCMs always operate in T/H mode.

Yeah, that's my understanding as well, its always in T/H mode. If anyone else has any other input on the trans, lemme know. Thanks!
    -John

Hmm, I'll look at the ones I have tuned. I have done several and its never been an issue before. Why is tow/haul so important on a truck like that?

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by LS1FREEK View Post
    Yeah, that's my understanding as well, its always in T/H mode. If anyone else has any other input on the trans, lemme know. Thanks!
    It would be awesome if there was just a looped wire from one pin to another on the TCM, but im sure that isn't the case. A new OS is probably in order to fix that, but as you you know EFILive doesn't support Allison TCM full flashing.

Quote Originally Posted by minytrker View Post
    Hmm, I'll look at the ones I have tuned. I have done several and its never been an issue before. Why is tow/haul so important on a truck like that?
    The TCM is locked in T/H mode to keep the converter from getting fried, because they are Medium Duty truck meant to haul stuff. And there has been somewhat of a demand by the "little men" of the world who feel they need to daily drive them and would like to have T/H mode disabled so the fuel economy isn't in the shitter all the time.
    '07 TBSS, LS2, T42, 3SS, Black on Black on Black, Pretty much stock at the moment. EFILive will fix that

'06 LBZ/Allison 6speed, EC, LB, 1LT, Leather
    Current Mods: EFI Live/ PTO High Idle Mod/ Factory Exhaust Brake / BD Full Bore/ TransGo Jr./ TTS Twin Lift Pumps/ MBRP 4" turbo back/ Custom air box mod/ BullyDog Outlook Monitor

465hp/1008tq---7/25/09---Dyno Day Fast Specialties Tuning by ME

Quote Originally Posted by bballer182 View Post
    It would be awesome if there was just a looped wire from one pin to another on the TCM, but im sure that isn't the case. A new OS is probably in order to fix that, but as you you know EFILive doesn't support Allison TCM full flashing.

The TCM is locked in T/H mode to keep the converter from getting fried, because they are Medium Duty truck meant to haul stuff. And there has been somewhat of a demand by the "little men" of the world who feel they need to daily drive them and would like to have T/H mode disabled so the fuel economy isn't in the shitter all the time.
    Exactly right lol
    -John

Quote Originally Posted by bballer182 View Post

LOL I am very familiar with them, there are alot of them around here. I dont know anyone daily driving one but I'll have to check what kind of mileage they are getting empty if any of the guys know that I tuned. They get crappy fuel mileage mainly due to the 4:88 gears IMO. I run the same 245/70/19.5 tires but have 3:73's but turn about 1,000 less rpm going down the highway going off memory. They are great for what they were made for, towing. All the ones I tuned picked up mileage but I dont know how much. Most of of the guys I tuned them for arent worried about mileage.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by minytrker View Post
    LOL I am very familiar with them, there are alot of them around here. I dont know anyone daily driving one but I'll have to check what kind of mileage they are getting empty if any of the guys know that I tuned. They get crappy fuel mileage mainly due to the 4:88 gears IMO. I run the same 245/70/19.5 tires but have 3:73's but turn about 1,000 less rpm going down the highway going off memory. They are great for what they were made for, towing. All the ones I tuned picked up mileage but I dont know how much. Most of of the guys I tuned them for arent worried about mileage.
    Thats pretty much the deal there.

There are a few that i see quite frequently here in the Portland, OR metro area. I know 2 for absolute sure cuz i know the guys. And yes they are on the small side. One guy uses his for "work" but his wife has a car and thats it, 2 vehicle family and i see the whole family loaded up in the "manhood extender" all the time around town.
    '07 TBSS, LS2, T42, 3SS, Black on Black on Black, Pretty much stock at the moment. EFILive will fix that

'06 LBZ/Allison 6speed, EC, LB, 1LT, Leather
    Current Mods: EFI Live/ PTO High Idle Mod/ Factory Exhaust Brake / BD Full Bore/ TransGo Jr./ TTS Twin Lift Pumps/ MBRP 4" turbo back/ Custom air box mod/ BullyDog Outlook Monitor

465hp/1008tq---7/25/09---Dyno Day Fast Specialties Tuning by ME