Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E38 Boost + AFM/DOD

Default E38 Boost + AFM/DOD

Does anyone know if I can modify an E38 to allow boost while still maintaining the displacement on demand or active fuel management functions?

What I'm trying to do is run a turbo, while still having the stock displacement on demand for functionality for times when there is zero boost and low engine load.

Lifetime Member

Tuning wise in the ECM it is possible, in practice Ive never heard of it being done. Imagine it has been done but I just havent heard about it.

Tune the 2 or 3 Bar VVE table and rescale the MAF (if you plan on keeping it), tune it just like a normal boosted application and make sure the DOD/AFM conditions are met under cruise.

Let us (me) know how it goes, eventually Id like to have a similar setup.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Lifetime Member

You don’t own a V1 / V2 …which means you are not an EFILive customer.

Best of luck getting your programming software company going … go somewhere else to pirate ideas and information.

Taz, your attitude speaks to the reason I'm not a current customer.

I figured it makes sense to be sure the software options and custom OS's available will work with the build I am planning prior to spending @ $900 on a tuner.

I'm not sure what the problem is.

Quote Originally Posted by NateD4 View Post
    Taz, your attitude speaks to the reason I'm not a current customer.
    Taz has an excellent attitude, he is well respected here for his helpfulness and knowledge. He has always helped me when I needed help.

03 Silverado 5.3 ECSB 4x4 Z71
    Comp Cam 206/212 .515/.522 112 lSA, hardened rods with LS9 springs

2010 Tahoe VVT AFM 5.3
    Stock for now

That certainly doesn't reflect in his comments. I've got two engines that need tuning. One of which is still under construction. Thus far I've decided to purchase an EFI live tuner. However my build isn't at the point where I need it just yet. But, as you can see from my posts I'm looking at getting into the computer/tuning side very soon. With that said in a month or two I'll be buying a tuner. So far I think EFI Live has a better product, better support and more helpful users. I don't see any reason why whether I've purchased a V1/V2 should matter. Do all future customers get this type of reception?

If this is what I should expect AFTER I purchase one.... Maybe I need to look else where or look into a different solution.

I'm used to making sure a product will deliver the results I need prior to purchase, or at least that the support is available to buy if I need something specific that isn't out of the box.

I assume Taz is not part of the EFI Live development team, and that their view points are not his.

Again I don't see the issue. I asked a few questions to see if what I'm trying to do is possible with current EFI Live custom OS without having to write new custom OS code, I don't see the problem with asking.

Hopefully someone can answer my question and I can continue with this build and in a month or two buy the latest EFI Live tuner when I'm ready to start the engine for the first time.

I agree... the forum works in a give-take manner.

Given your project I'm surprised that you haven't already bought, isn't this a little late in the game...?

Joe,

Yes and no. I've decided EFI Live is my best option. But if I can plan before I buy that frees up $800 bucks for a custom cam. Obviously I'll need to buy prior to starting the first time. Unless of course I get no help. Then I'll be forced to go with a stand alone system. Which really is overkill for a number of reasons.

So far with one or two exceptions This forum has sold me on EFI Live over HP Tuners on providing support and interest in custom options....

Lifetime Member

Nice rhetoric … you missed your calling in telemarketing or door-to-door sales … you have done nothing but fish for information in this Forum to develop your own software business … all any of the other Forum members need to do is to review your previous posts … and then draw their own inferences.

Regarding which software you ultimately decide to purchase (to then cannibalize), is up to you …. still theft of intellectual property in my opinion.

Just my opinion … and as I stated the last time you were on this Forum … go elsewhere.

Well this is quite constructive. Why do you think I'm starting my own software business?

That of course is far from the truth.

What I AM trying to do is get DOD/AFM working with a VGT. Something I'm sure at least one other person on this forum would be interested in. Irregardless you clearly have your mind made up with what I'm doing whether or not it is true.

So with that said, what is the real issue here?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast