Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E38 Knock Retard?

Default E38 Knock Retard?

Which knock retard value PID should I be logging? GM.KR, or GM.KNKRET? GM.KNKRET usually shows some value in the MAX column, but I never see any of its other values change. GM.KR seems to always say 0 in all the columns. My car is a 2011 Camaro SS LS3. It has cam, headers, high flow cats, a cold air intake, pulley and a tune. I had it dynoed yesterday, and it was about 30 low on HP and TQ (430RWHP 400RWTQ) from what everyone else is getting with the same mods I have. It was about 70*F outside with low humidity. I thought if anything I would get higher numbers in those conditions. It may have just been that particular dyno I guess. My AFR is just about dead on 12.8, and the tuner running the dyno said to look at my timing. I attached a quick log from this morning. Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Use GM.KR

www.redline-motorsports.net

1-954-703-5560

2006 ZO6 895/866 with APS TT
    2010 SSRS Camaro HTR-900TT (798/801)
    2011 HTR-850R Camaro
    2012 ZL1 Auto (10.33@135 MPH) Video Here!

Could the dyno operator be implying that you could use more timing? I had more knock with my stock LS7 than you do with your current setup. Not sure about knock sensors in the LS3 but I would think the headers would make the sensors even more active.

Can you include a copy of the tune as well? Someone with LS3 experience might be able to make some suggestions.

What does your LS3 typically make HP wise in stock form?
    2015 Z06 A8

I was under the impression he was saying it might be able to take more timing. Typical stock figures are about 365 hp and tq. It very well could be the dyno. It was a car show, and a portable dyno. There are several guys that have the exact same package installed that I do on a forum I visit. They have all put down 455-465hp and about 430tq. I will upload my tune when I get home tonight. I'm probably just being picky, but if there is 30hp left on the table, I would like to find it. : ). I found it odd that it was exactly 30 short on hp and tq. This is what makes me think it's the dyno.

Here is the tune I'm running. The cam is 227/239 .614in .624ex 115.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Use GM.KNKRET in the E38, it will show "total" knock retard.

Looking at the log data in post 1 it seems that most of your detections are actually "burst knock". Most occur as the throttle is snapped open and very few when throttle movement is low. There also appears to be no KR during heavy load.

Providing you have a good intake and exhaust and you are certain about the fuelling being correct up top, I'd start by adding about 5' timing through the top end as a start. If the VVE has been dialed in correctly, then I'd say you "should" be seeing that 450-460HP mark

Simon.

Timing tables are still factory stock. I don't know how the LS3 responds to timing but it just seems like you could definitely add some timing down low in the rpm band to help offset some of the affects of the cam. Even at 6400/6800 rpm, car is only seeing 20* timing. I would think the car could handle more timing from 5600 out to your red line.

G0101-G0104: You can reduce these values to cycle ac off at lower rpm/tp. Pick up a few HP for free.
    2015 Z06 A8

Is this a Thunder Racing cam?
    2015 Z06 A8

Lifetime Member

To add to what Swingtan mentioned, burst knock is purely predictive knock retard. Not real knock retard as on quick throttle openings regular knock control is not fast enough and burst knock retard then prevents real knock and seeing timing pulled on transient throttle when it doesnt really need to be pulled. It is worth zeroing for tuning purposes so it doesnt confuse things.

i have found both gm.kr and gm.knkret log the exact same values.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast