Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SD Card Socket Replacement.

Default SD Card Socket Replacement.

Hi All,
    So after quite some time of getting weird error messages when logging to the SD card ("file not found" errors mostly), I decided it was time to see what was going on. I replaced the old 2GB Sandisk card with a new 4GB Kingston job and for a while, it was great. But then the same problems started to reoccur. The 2GB card started having issues in the PC, hence the purchase of the 4GB job, which has been fine in the PC. SO it was looking like the V2 was playing up.

Given the V2 is way, way out of warranty, I figured it couldn't hurt to take a look. I knew there was a problem as soon as the case was open an a small piece of black plastic fell out. It turns out the SD card socket had cracked down one side and was not holding the card securely. Here's a pic of the remains, I'll admit to breaking the left side when I was getting in past the USB socket, but the right side was how it was before I started...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03644.JPG 
Views:	332 
Size:	631.4 KB 
ID:	12424

So now I need to find a new full length SD card socket that will fit the board. Any ideas in Melbourne? The usual shops I go to ( Jaycar, RadioParts, Altronics) either don't stock them, or don't have the contacts in the right place. I've found one on-line shop based in Melbourne, but getting a delivery this side of January is not going to happen. I was even tempted to rat one from one of the USB card readers I have, but they are all 1/2 length jobs. Any one have a definite source for one?

Simon.

Lifetime Member

Thanks Ira. The Molex one looks close. I also found this one that may work, just need to check that the "card present" and "Write protect" leads are in the right spot.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

I would send you a replacement from stock, but the manufacturer (where the stock is held) has already closed for Christmas and won't be open again until 2nd week of Jan. I guess that's too late :(
    Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

:( Oh well.... Looks like I'll try and get something else going. I have a half length socket that would fit, but that means the SD card would stick half way out. It may be OK till next year though.

Default Fixed!!!!!!

Well, it's all back together and working fine. In the end I found that Altronics had a socket that was a very close fit...

http://www.altronics.com.au/index.as...=item&id=P5720

It needed some minor modifications for the "Card Detect" and "Write Protect" switches to work, but everything is operational now. Here's a couple of pics.....

The new socket mounted up. it was a little bigger than the original one, so I put some tape over the components behind it to ensure nothing touched.

Name:	DSC03645.JPG 
Views:	296 
Size:	500.7 KB 
ID:	12427

To make the switches work, I had to reroute the earth connection. Fortunately, all of the earth points connected to the case, so I only needed to supply an earth to the case. It's not pretty, but it works.

Name:	DSC03647.JPG 
Views:	310 
Size:	404.0 KB 
ID:	12428

Finally, due to the size difference, the inserted card sits slightly higher than the original one. It does make it slightly easier to get the SD card out though.

Name:	DSC03655.JPG 
Views:	325 
Size:	295.7 KB 
ID:	12429

I've tested reading and writing from/to a couple of SD cards and it works fine so it's all good. Total cost was $2.30, but it took a bit of time. To get to the SD card, you have to remove the display and it's soldered on 20 odd, pins, through plated holes..... ( for the electronics bods ).

Simon.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by swingtan View Post
    To get to the SD card, you have to remove the display and it's soldered on 20 odd, pins, through plated holes..... ( for the electronics bods ).
    Simon.
    And that is not an easy thing to do

P.S. Nice job getting it working again.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

You are a bloody legend Swingers....or should I say - MacGyver...LOL
    HSV Senator 300 - the Classy C4B...

C4B - ETP215s 62cc, Comp 215/223 .601/.609 @111+3, Manley 8.050" 5/16" P/R, Morel Link-bar lifters, Powerbond 25% UDP, 36lb injectors, SLP pump, Rollmaster chain, OTRCAI, T-56 - RipShift, HydraTrak 3.91:1, DiFilippo 1.75" 4-1s, twin 3" st/st cat-back, 3" metal substrate hi-flow cats. AP-Racing 6/4-pots. EFIlive COS3 SD tune.

308rwkW(413rwhp)

C'mon, MacGyver would have made an SD holder out of a bit of orange peel and sticky tape, he isn't worthy of the MacGyver title.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

Not really a MacGyver, but nice none the less. I can pull the LCD in a couple of minutes now but I've never wanted to replace a SD socket. Maybe I'll have to look at that again.

Ira

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast