Thread: Ls1 -> Ls2 Ks

Default Ls1 -> Ls2 Ks

Hello, I have read the following thread regarding the use of the flat response vs resonant type sensors and did not see an answer to my current question,

http://efiforum.iqd.co.nz/showthread...=5507#post5507

I would like to know if anyone has successfully implemented the use of the LS2 "Flat-response" sensor with the LS1 PCM?

Within EFI Live's calibration set up for the LS1, I found the following:

http://efiforum.iqd.co.nz/attachment...1&d=1137857426

There is a typo regarding the pins for the resonant single wire. It is not pin 56 but pin 51 that is used:

http://efiforum.iqd.co.nz/attachment...1&d=1137857426

Anyhow I have a few customers that are doing LS2 installs into these 2000 - 2004 MY Y cars and would like to use the LS2 sensors. It looks as if this is possible but wanted to make sure that I was not headed in the wrong direction. Any other issues regarding the set up of these sensors I should be aware of.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EFI_Live_Ks.png 
Views:	232 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	371   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LS1_KS_Diag.png 
Views:	235 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	372  
    Scott Brown

I don't know the answer to your question but I noticed I did not indicate the results of using the LS1 sensors in my LS2 block. Not in the thread you mention. The LS1 sensors in the new location work without any tuning. I induced audible knock and it is picked up every time. I don't get any unexpected knock readings.
    I'm curious. Why do they want the LS2 sensors?
    2003 red vert
    Mods:
    LS7 crate engine, wet sump, 24xx reluctor
    LPE 100mm MAF
    Vararam, cold air intake and bridge
    RPM Level 6/4L60e trans
    3.42 gears
    Yank SS3600
    1-7/8" AR headers
    Z06 exhaust
    470rwhp 437rwtq
    1/8th mi-1.526-60'-6.862-1/8th-@100.74mph

Thanks for the info, the reason for going to the new style sensor is my idea. I suspect that GM Engineering discovered better Knock control with this new sensor. If it is possible I want to try it. You don't know until you actually try something new.

Thanks again,
    Scott Brown

Quote Originally Posted by jfpilla
    I'm curious. Why do they want the LS2 sensors?
    Same question here, or rather why not use the LS1/6 style sensor? The only reason I can justify for picking a different acoustic sensor is if the sound you are trying to detect is different in the LS2. Even if it is and you opt for a different sensor, you still need different processing to back it up.

Quote Originally Posted by ToplessTexan
    Even if it is and you opt for a different sensor, you still need different processing to back it up.
    True, the only reason I would believe that this is possible is because EFILive tuner shows this as an option...
    Scott Brown

Right, but I believe Ross' comment in the 7th post in the first thread you referenced was an attempt to discourage anyone from thinking that. Even if the cal fully supported both schemes, you only have hardware support in the PCM for one.

I know very little about the knock sensors. So I will relate what I was told when looking into what to use. The resonant type pick up sounds within a narrow frequency and only need sensitivity settings. The flat response sensors pick up a wider range of sounds but need filters to report what is desired. I'm "guessing" that the LS2 PCM has a filtering program or hardware and we know it's not in the LS1 PCM. I believe that is what Topless Texan said.
    2003 red vert
    Mods:
    LS7 crate engine, wet sump, 24xx reluctor
    LPE 100mm MAF
    Vararam, cold air intake and bridge
    RPM Level 6/4L60e trans
    3.42 gears
    Yank SS3600
    1-7/8" AR headers
    Z06 exhaust
    470rwhp 437rwtq
    1/8th mi-1.526-60'-6.862-1/8th-@100.74mph