Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ready to buy: Hold out for v2

Default Ready to buy: Hold out for v2

I am ready to take the plunge and purchase the commercial version but I was wondering if I should hold out for the new FLASHSCAN interface v2 or just get v1 now?

The increase in the number of external inputs is the real factor in making me wait.

Any suggestions?

If you need the added functionality of V2, I'd hold off. The V1 interface fully supports my needs, but I'll be one of the first in line when V2 hits the shelves.

I'm not sure I am reading the upgrade policy correctly. The way I read it, if I buy the Personal or Commercial version 1.7 now, I pay the full price and then when v2 is released, have to pay an additional $299 or so for the upgrade? Is that correct?

I would pm Blacky or wait4me about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Z
    I'm not sure I am reading the upgrade policy correctly. The way I read it, if I buy the Personal or Commercial version 1.7 now, I pay the full price and then when v2 is released, have to pay an additional $299 or so for the upgrade? Is that correct?

Yes, that is correct. Which is a very very awsome deal. That Version 2 hardware is in my opinion is a 1500.00 tuning cable. All the features it has and its abilitys it will have are just simply amazing. No other words can describe it. Then, they go and sell it for $299. That is just crazy?
    I would have GLADLY spent and upgrade fee of $1500.00 for this kind of thing when it comes out. It is more than worth that.
    "If you can leave a black mark on the pavement, from the exit of one corner to the braking point of the next one, you have enough horsepower."

Well I am sure I am just reading this wrong, then...
    FlashScan V2 Licensing and Pricing

FlashScan V2 is orders of magnitude more sophisticated than FlashScan V1.2, and it packs a whole lot of new and improved features into a compact package. Because EFILive is committed to providing quality tools at reasonable prices, we have retained the retail price of the Personal and Commercial versions. The Workshop licensing schemes have been changed so that in some cases the price has actually decreased.

The current Personal and Commercial licensing schemes will be retained.

Customers may upgrade any Personal or Commercial license from FlashScan V1.2 to FlashScan V2.0 for $399*. All PCM licenses will be transferred from your FlashScan V1.2 interface to the new FlashScan V2 interface. You must return your existing FlashScan V1.2 interface to EFILive to be eligible for the FlashScan V2 upgrade price.
    I'm thinking it means that if I wait until v2 is released, I would be able to buy it at the same price I would now have to pay for v1.2 now. However, if I bought v1.2 NOW, I would have to pay $399 additionally for the v2 upgrade. Surely that must be wrong. Such a policy would likely just KILL sales right now with the v2 release imminent.....

So what am I reading wrong into this? Maybe it's something to do with the difference between v1.2 and v1.7 and the $299 and $399 price difference? Beats the heck out of me. I'm just not really much in a hurry to buy a tuner product, so as long as there is some doubt in my mind about what is going on, I will just wait for the dust to settle......

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Z
    Well I am sure I am just reading this wrong, then...

I'm thinking it means that if I wait until v2 is released, I would be able to buy it at the same price I would now have to pay for v1.2 now. However, if I bought v1.2 NOW, I would have to pay $399 additionally for the v2 upgrade. Surely that must be wrong. Such a policy would likely just KILL sales right now with the v2 release imminent.....

So what am I reading wrong into this? Maybe it's something to do with the difference between v1.2 and v1.7 and the $299 and $399 price difference? Beats the heck out of me. I'm just not really much in a hurry to buy a tuner product, so as long as there is some doubt in my mind about what is going on, I will just wait for the dust to settle......
    As far as I know, the pricing for the V2 interface is going to be the same if not very close to the curent prices.

I think Rich means which one should he do:
    a. buy V1.2 now and pay $299 to upgrade to V2, or
    b. wait until V2 comes out.

I think V2 won't be too far off, if you're not in a hurry I would wait.

Quote Originally Posted by joecar
    I think Rich means which one should he do:
    a. buy V1.2 now and pay $299 to upgrade to V2, or
    b. wait until V2 comes out.

I think V2 won't be too far off, if you're not in a hurry I would wait.
    Yeah, pretty much what I am thinking. Many companies in this predicament will sell the older version with a free upgrade when the newer one hits the shelves. Otherwise, sales generally take a nose dive with many potential customers holding off the purchase till the new version is ready.

But I guess there is the possibility of pissing off SOMEONE, no matter where you draw the line for the free upgrade, so perhaps they are just biting the bullet and taking the loss in present sales instead. I can see where that may be the better move in some cases. Bitter pill, though.....

CorvetteFlorida.com

2002 Corvette Z06
    427 RHS block built by LME
    STS rear mounted twin turbos
    It nearly died on the operating table, but I'm bringing her back.

I don't know how the line is drawn, but you're right there are both sides.

V2 will be worth the wait, even if you thought you had no need to tune, once you have it you'll be wondering how you did without;

it's like having tools in your toolbox, or food in your fridge, or gas in your tank.

Regards
    Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast