Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Transmission Problems?

Default Transmission Problems?

I wanted to ask you guys who have been running the tun for awhile if there have been any transmissions problems specifically with the Allison? I tow a 16,000lb trailer and 11,000lb bulldozer and want to get feedback whether or not I should be concerned running a 100hp tun all the time? There are times when I will be towing and going up a hill and I have the gas pedal on the floor trying to make it up. Just want to make sure the tranny can take the extra power?

Thanks,
    Cliff

Is your trans stock? I wouldn't run the 100hp tune even if you aren't towing if the trans is stock. If you do you will degrade the holding ability of the trans. It is not recommended to tow with 100hp even with a built trans due to EGT issues mainly and built trans have their limits too.

Quote Originally Posted by lakingslayer
    Is your trans stock? I wouldn't run the 100hp tune even if you aren't towing if the trans is stock. If you do you will degrade the holding ability of the trans. It is not recommended to tow with 100hp even with a built trans due to EGT issues mainly and built trans have their limits too.
    Yep the trans is stock. So what is the most a stock trans can take? 50hp? or none?

You'll be safe with about 65hp. Towing you may want to drop that to 40 max due to the EGT's and extra stress on the Trans. The extra power driving the trans and the extra weight pulling against you creates more stress on the trans/drivetrain than just running unloaded.

You'll be safe with about 65hp. Towing you may want to drop that to 40 max due to the EGT's and extra stress on the Trans. The extra power driving the trans and the extra weight pulling against you creates more stress on the trans/drivetrain than just running unloaded.
    Cool thanks for the help. In my opinion it is just not worth the risk since I am using it to tow some heavy stuff.

EFILive Reseller

What it will hold will vary with slightly from vehicle to vehicle with variances in engine's responsiveness and transmission's capabilities along with ambient conditions, driving style etc.

The HP isn't necesarily what hurts the Allison, it's the huge gain in TQ at lower RPM's.
    www.kennedydiesel.com
    Specializing in Duramax Performance
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis.
    Superflow Lie Detector in house

You are being very careful with those numbers.
    I tow 10,000# on the 90 hp setting and drive with 110 or 135 (Dyno`ed closer to 130, and 150!) and after nearly 80,000 miles, it is still holding together. I can run the pi$$ out of it all day long on the 110, and it will not limp. (No two trucks will act the same, but any LB7 should easily handle 100+ on a stock tranny!) You may not get all the power to the ground like you would with a built tranny, but it should last for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by hdmax
    (No two trucks will act the same, but any LB7 should easily handle 100+ on a stock tranny!) You may not get all the power to the ground like you would with a built tranny, but it should last for a long time.
    Should is the key word here. Some will hold longer than others. The numbers I gave just make the stock trans last longer than if you ran higher hp/tq.

Jesse's 100hp tun and my transmission don't like each other it just keeps limping and acting up.

65 is absolutely perfect for all around towing, power and economy. The 100 is right on the edge of limping under hard low speed loads. I have a 100 in right now and limped it once in the last 1200 miles. Its been good even under some hard loads so far. I am not too concerned since I am putting in a beefed up tranny in a couple months.

The 100 feels real good!

www.redline-motorsports.net

1-954-703-5560

2006 ZO6 895/866 with APS TT
    2010 SSRS Camaro HTR-900TT (798/801)
    2011 HTR-850R Camaro
    2012 ZL1 Auto (10.33@135 MPH) Video Here!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast