Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: newbe!! with an 01,05,and 08 d-max

Default newbe!! with an 01,05,and 08 d-max

I just got my efi live. i have 3 duramax trucks on is an 01 lb7, one an 05 lly, and on is an 08 lmm. was wondering where to start to make some millage tunes for all 3. I have removed the dpf on the 08, that was pretty straight forward on how to do that. was just needing some direction on what to do to make them run better esp the lmm. thanks!!

There isn't a whole lot you can do for the LB7 other than to add a little timing in the cruise area and smooth out the rail pressure table some(also I would HIGHLY reccomend ditching the 01 OS and going to a 6006 02 OS). As for the LLY an LMM, you can lower your boost down in the cruise range to about 1-2 pounds instead of 2-6 like stock is and add in some timing. I just did an LBZ and he said he went from getting about 18-19 at 65 to now he got 21.5 on the same trip going the same speeds with ALOT more HP on tap now. Also you can tune teh jet engine idle out of them while your doing this.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

my 01 OS is 15188873. 02's must have some more programming options in them is what i'm guessing. I have an 02 at work with an OS of 15094441 is that an okay # to use?? definitely have alot of things to figure out with EFI Live! is the 6006 Os just part of the Os # or do some have them that short? like i said newbie! lol. Thanks for the help I'm sure i will need more!! oh one more thing my 01 has 50hp injectors in it and a bd super-max turbo witch now the truck has turbo lag totally not cool with me, thinking of rebuilding my factory turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by chevyman2 View Post
    my 01 OS is 15188873. 02's must have some more programming options in them is what i'm guessing. I have an 02 at work with an OS of 15094441 is that an okay # to use?? definitely have alot of things to figure out with EFI Live! is the 6006 Os just part of the Os # or do some have them that short? like i said newbie! lol. Thanks for the help I'm sure i will need more!! oh one more thing my 01 has 50hp injectors in it and a bd super-max turbo witch now the truck has turbo lag totally not cool with me, thinking of rebuilding my factory turbo.

The 6006 refers to the last 4 digits of the OS #, and was the latest 02 OS available(also the most stable). I ran the 8873 fpr awhile, and upgraded as it would randomnly bellow out black smoke for no reason with it. If you have oversized injectors and a bigger turbo, you can definatley use EFILIVE to adjust your rail pressure and pulsewidths to match it and smooth it out as well as clear up some of your lag issues.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

ok!! thanks for the input now just need to work on it a little. what would be the easiest way to switch the os, would taking the os / programming and just flashing the truck with the "new" 6006 os be the best thing to do? thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by chevyman2 View Post
    ok!! thanks for the input now just need to work on it a little. what would be the easiest way to switch the os, would taking the os / programming and just flashing the truck with the "new" 6006 os be the best thing to do? thanks for the help!
    Download a 6006 OS and do a full flash to it from your old OS. I use the 6006 from DP in my BURB and it works very well. Just make sure and set the fuel tank to the size of your tank, and calibrate teh speedo. The 6006 drives MUCH better than the 01 8873 ever did in my BURB

Thanks i will get on to DP and down load the 6006 OS and use that.

I also have an LB7 with the SuperMax turbo (stock injectors). I would recommend using the 'timing calculator' and make sure you are running about 30 - 40% of the injection Before Top Dead Center (BTDC) at the 'punch it' conditions. You need to figure out what fueling (mm3) and rail pressure you are at when you punch it and then retard the timing more than normal at that location in the timing table to push more heat out the exhaust and light the turbo quicker.

The rest of the areas, I usually run around 50% Before Top Dead Center for optimum fuel economy. At max power I usually run 40% BTDC.

If anyone doesn't agree with my logic, I would welcome other's experiences.

BTW, search EFI Live "timing calculator" if you don't already have it.

In the cruise areas I run well over 100% for my timing and have picked up about 2 MPG in my tuning. In the power areas I run 55% on mine as don't get any rattle there and it keeps the exhaust fairly clean(60% has been to much I have found for mine). I run a stock engine with just a cat back style exhaust and an stage 1 AFE air filter. In my tuning hough, I have found lightly higher timing than stock in the punch it areas as you call it woke mine up over lowered timing. The stock timing in those areas was already pretty low IMO. Also though, make sure your MAF limiter is still set up to get the quickest turbo spool. To much fuel when you stab it and you will choke it out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast