Thread: How many more years until we have one version of EFILive software?

Default How many more years until we have one version of EFILive software?

Just curious if there is a roadmap, or a date when we can plan on using v8 exclusively.

Lifetime Member

I'm in no hurry for the elimination of V7 and the full implementation of V8. Many of us could probably use V7 while blindfolded ! As with any change over, there would be a requisite learning curve - I'm busy enough currently without adding that to the pile.

Also, like many others I am sure, I have about a 1000 *.tun format files - certainly hoping these would remain compatible - not looking forward to flashing / reading these if necessary.

Regards,
    Taz

I'm sure there are many!!

But then there are those like me... who came in somewhere in the middle and only know how to use both versions just enough to get by.

Just seems strange to me.

Lifetime Member

There are definitely times its tricky to juggle both versions, however once V8 is fully implemented and V7.5 is deprecated, everyone with a FS V1 will be stuck using the latest V7.5 version. Not a big deal for most people as most have V2s by now, but there will be some screaming bloody murder when that happens.

The reason V8 exists now is because editing FS V2 BBX functions without it is a PITA. Believe me, I was a FS V2 beta tester back in the day and we were manually editing the Options.txt file and manually copying the BBX files to our V2s. Having a nice GUI is a welcomed relief from those days! Now V8 has some exclusive tuning functions (Cummins, etc) that V7.5 will never be given access to read/write. I believe we're waiting on the editor part and scan tool plus a few small things, doesnt sound like much those are core functions and Im sure EFILive doesn't want to rush anything to the public.

I fully understand everyone's frustration, however being in the MIS/IT world I completely understand how long these things take, especially with just Paul working on the software side (for the most part). If you think having 2 (pretty) stable versions available is tough, look at HPT with their constant beta updates. I dont own HPT, but it looks like a huge headache trying to get the latest beta whereas EFILive makes it publicly available to registered forum users. HPT is still working on releasing 2.24, look like it could be coming out very soon. They haven't had a public release since June of 2008! It seems to work for them, but Im glad EFILive works on getting a few smaller things stable and releasing them incrementally so we as end users get to use them!
    Last edited by ScarabEpic22; January 6th, 2012 at 08:49 AM.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Hi Jim,

In a nutshell, this is how the software is used:
    - V7: scantool (scanning; logging; bidirectional) and tunetool (calibration editor for all years; reader/flasher for older powertrain controllers);
    - V8: tool for configuring V2 (BBL/BBR/BBW; Settings; OBD2 scanner) and reader/flasher for newer powertrain controllers;

slowly over time, V8 will do everything;

like Taz and Erik said, this slow morphing allows users to continue using software they are comfortable with while the new software takes shape.

Not really complaining guys -- as much of a curiosity as anything else, but I do like consistency! I am also in IT, but it seems like the v8 has been floating around for quite a while. Just wish I could have it all in one place. I check every few months for an update, but it seems like v8 is in reality several more years away??

Once again, not complaining! I had HPT, and believe me... this is much better

Jim, I guess the answer to that question is about 2 years ago
    But, things never go as planned in the computing world. We do have to be mindful that as Taz said, he could use V7 blindfolded so releasing something totally different to how V7 looks and feels might be met with severe criticism. Part of the whole V8 update project has been designing it to be more flexible with regards to development than what V7 is. This allows us to add new controllers and functions much faster than we can in V7.
    We certainly want to get V8 as a complete package out there ASAP because maintaining two software versions of course means twice the work.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Great job, I like them both! The slow transition is also good to learn. Keep up the great work!
    '12 Caprice PPV 6.0 L77 - daily transportation
    8.7 @ 84 (1/8 mile) bolt-ons

'02 Silverado RCSB 5.3 L59 - regularly street driven
    8.2 @ 86 (1/8 mile) stock cam and spray
    8.6 @ 84 (1/8 mile) cam and heads no spray

Our YOUTUBE CHANNEL featuring the Silverado