Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing EFILIVE on Ubuntu

Default Installing EFILIVE on Ubuntu

I would like to install EFILive on a laptop with Ubuntu operating system. I would like to be able to mess with tunes, then save and transfer them to my other laptop with Vista (Vista sucks bad... SLOW!!!) to load into the truck.

I have downloaded EFILive to the computer with Ubuntu. I used wine to get he files extracted into my /opt/ directory and installed EFILive. However when I try and launch EFILive, it launches, then I get an error that it can't find the C:/.../my document/..../cal_pids.txt. So it's looking in my C: drive which doesn't exist anymore. Ubuntu is the only operating system on this computer. Anyone have any ideas of how to get this working?

Thanks
    Chris
    '05 K2500 Duramax/Allison - EFILive and a
    few extra parts...

'02 K2500 Duramax/Allison - Dedicated Puller
    Tuned with EFILive.

You need to run EFILive from the Window Emulator.

Not knowing the U (Ubuntu) can't say .
    But with my experience in openSUSE it works fine in Wine (rhymes) .
    Can't get it to flash (no USB support) , but can open and make changes to .tun files .
    I just usually click the .exe and Wine installs the program .

Had to change the openSUSE , I have been using SuSE so long that the naming has changed from SuSE to openSUSE now .
    Last edited by Chevy366; January 12th, 2012 at 06:21 AM.
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Yes, "WINE" is your answer. I had EFILive running under OpenSUSE a few years back using WINE. It all worked, apart from the USB connection. I guess it may be possible to save the files directly to the SD-Card and then just use the BBF function to flash into the vehicle.

Simon.

I'm running EFILive in Fedora 16 with Wine. It seems to work great.

Has anyone attempted to get the scan tool working under Wine ? What is the show stopper ?

I hate to think that I have to have a dual boot laptop just for EFILive.

The world is increasingly becoming a Linux/Mac/Android place. If someone gives me some tech support, I'll write a USB driver...

Quote Originally Posted by someguy View Post
    I'm running EFILive in Fedora 16 with Wine. It seems to work great.

Has anyone attempted to get the scan tool working under Wine ? What is the show stopper ?

I hate to think that I have to have a dual boot laptop just for EFILive.

The world is increasingly becoming a Linux/Mac/Android place. If someone gives me some tech support, I'll write a USB driver...
    Played with it for a little while but got distracted and never went back to it .
    Yes EFILive in Wine works but EFILive can't see the V2 hardware due to USB not working , I did some research and the FTDI driver (USB to serial) for the V2 is present and Linux loads drivers for the unit just EFILive in wine can't see it .
    Good luck , let us know if you get it working .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

ScanTool, as an application works fine. USB connection to the V2 does not. It's been discussed in other threads and the USB driver is really the only stopper to a fully working version under WINE. Quite frankly though, to make it really good I'd want to do away with WINE altogether and just run a native version of the application, even if that meant java......

Thanks for the info, guys.

That's it ? We'd just need to get a USB driver for it working in Wine ? Hmmm....

On the other hand, in another thread I found people running EFI Live (and the scan tool) on Windows in Virtual Box. I think I am going to give that a try too.

I see nothing wrong with running EFI Live under wine, if it works properly. I bet that things come to a grinding halt when you start doing a bunch of graphics while logging, say. Having said that, I run an rc flight simulator under wine, but its basically Java based, even though the Java it uses won't work with Linux.

I'm just trying to avoid dual booting, at any cost. VB would allow me to run EFI Live within a Linux session and thus avoid going back and forth. It also means I don't have to run a Windows partition on my hard drive. Win-win-win.

Now I just need a Windows disk. : (

The world is increasingly becoming a Linux/Mac/Android place.
    Mmm, I'm still not sold on that idea, there is some things that are too 'geeky' to get wide spread acceptance as an alternative to Windows. An OS in this day and age should not require the user to use command lines UNLESS they want to.

Yes, I am amazed how much people will pay for over priced PC hardware. Shame on Apple for switching to Intel just to keep up with the clock speed marketing. Looks at the current gaming consoles, all run PowerPC, not Intel. But 1GHz CPU's don't sell boxes even though they probably outdo the Intel CPU's in MIPS.

Too open to be stable. I've never owned anything Android, just what people tell me.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    Mmm, I'm still not sold on that idea, there is some things that are too 'geeky' to get wide spread acceptance as an alternative to Windows. An OS in this day and age should not require the user to use command lines UNLESS they want to.

Yes, I am amazed how much people will pay for over priced PC hardware. Shame on Apple for switching to Intel just to keep up with the clock speed marketing. Looks at the current gaming consoles, all run PowerPC, not Intel. But 1GHz CPU's don't sell boxes even though they probably outdo the Intel CPU's in MIPS.

Too open to be stable. I've never owned anything Android, just what people tell me.
    Put it this way , number 2 tablet purchased , Android . Number one (some argue number 2) cell phone , Android . U.S. Department of defense new issued to all soldiers cell phones , Android . Although Android is app only and not program software capable it is none the less popular .

Win8 on tablets is coming but is it enough ? To late ? Niche audience ?
    And WIn7.5 cell phones are now coming to market in a nicer package (Nokia N9) , to late ? Niche audience ?

I see your point of not wanting to write EFILive for Linux when there are just a few of us here capable of understanding Linux . Niche audience .

Those of us who use Linux know that the stability is not a factor in Linux , but if you said "to diverse" , meaning a lot of different versions then I would agree (but if one did the 3 big ones Ubuntu , Fedora , openSuse) .

Of course we could do a Erik and bombard you with e-mails pestering you into submission .
    2006 Trailblazer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast