Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing EFILIVE on Ubuntu

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy366 View Post
    Of course we could do a Erik and bombard you with e-mails pestering you into submission .
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Linux is a great working OS. Its fast, solid, lots of free tools, versatile, etc.

There is no need to do anything from the command line these days. But if you want to, its a great, efficient way to do things.

Its amazing how much it improves with each release. KDE 4.7 rocks as a windows environment. When I go back to Win 7, I feel like I'm in the stone age. Its so slow and clunky.

Have you ever developed in the Eclipse IDE ?

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy366 View Post
    Of course we could do a Erik and bombard you with e-mails pestering you into submission .
    Well, I'll be frank, I just don't care that much about the whole computer OS debate to think about it more than a few minutes. It seems everyone's problem with Windows is security holes, so I run Eset Smart Security, job done, issue gone. I just couldn't be bothered to learn the ins and outs of any of the Lunix versions out there to consider ditching Windows.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

The issue that most are missing, is the QC and regression testing involved with an application like EFILive.

When EFILive was started, there was basically no other choice but Windows OS for the application to run under. Linux in all forms was way to immature and Mac simply wasn't going to cut it. Windows held the vast majority of the desktop / laptop market share and it was the logical choice for a new application start up. So the deed was done and that was the choice. As development progressed, all the testing involved had to ensure that the system still worked as expected. The last thing any one would want is for a "random" bug to take out the USB driver mid flash...... So once the driver and interface has been completed, it's set in stone and any changes include lots of testing.

To manage porting the application to multiple OS's, means increasing the QC / regression testing overheads for each new OS. This then increases the man power and subsequently something else has to give. Either the rate at which new calibrations come out will drop, or the pricing will increase to fund more staff. Neither of these would be particularly popular, but that's how it works.

If people really want to use Linux and EFILive, you can do that now. Just make use of BBL / BBF and work with the SD-Card. Read and save changes from/to the SD-Card and then just use the V2 for interfacing with the vehicle. Sure, it's a little more time consuming if you are sitting in the car flashing multiple tunes, but it should work fine. You'll still need a Windows box to update firmware and alter the BBL config in the V2 though. It would be nice if the V2 could read it's configs from the SD-Card though.....

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by swingtan View Post
    If people really want to use Linux and EFILive, you can do that now. Just make use of BBL / BBF and work with the SD-Card. Read and save changes from/to the SD-Card and then just use the V2 for interfacing with the vehicle.
    That is a really good point, I can't remember the last time I actually flashed or logged my car with the laptop, it's always done off the V2.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

So you would be interested in the BBL config via the SD card function? nudge, nudge........

So you would be interested in the BBL config via the SD card function? nudge, nudge........
    Here , here .
    I can do almost everything from my cell phone/Linux and personally don't give a rats patootie about Winders anymore .
    Winders is so yesterday .
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Sorry, It's got nothing to do with me, Paul is the PC programmer.

I know, but some inside interest can't hurt....

In all honesty though, I don't need to change configs all that often and I'd prefer additional calibrations / more in-depth calibrations.

I know Paul would rather be working on a full V8 tune/scan program too

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast