Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help with my 1st tune 01 2500 hd 6.0

Default help with my 1st tune 01 2500 hd 6.0

This is the first gas tune I have built, I been in to Diesels for a while now but as things go I had to sell the 06 lbz and buy a really nice 6.0 2500 hd. As things go I can not leave any thing alone So please tell me what you think. I just want some more power and trq so please give me your opinion.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by hogdoghd; January 21st, 2012 at 03:28 PM.

The truck has 115,000 miles but runs great. Oh yeah it also has a CIA & dual 3" flowmasters into the stock exit pipe. I have also Sea foamed the engine, cleaned the throttle body, new plugs and cleaned the injectors. Thanks for the help
    Last edited by hogdoghd; January 21st, 2012 at 08:38 AM.

Smile

You want to adjust your Out Of Range issues (check out of range tab when opening the file).

Then as a suggestion,
    look for an LQ9 tune file and compare it to your stock LQ4 file to compare the differences to see how GM have gone about it (it's not all down to just CR).

Maybe try a full re-flash of a stock LQ9 file and see how it works out.
    Then slowly move on from there. You could consider trying a timing table from a Camaro or Vette (but scan & check for KR).
    GM have spent a lot of time and money producing validated tunes that work well. Time studying them is well spent.

Cancelling safety parameters that are there for good reason isn't the best way to go about tuning.
    Looking at the changes you've made so far, you seem to be going up the wrong street.

OK thanks ill study the lq9. I dont know how to do a full reflash from an other system is it as simple as changing the vin

Lifetime Member

Hello Hogdoghd,

The LQ4 and LQ9 VE and MAF calibrations are typically identical in each model year. The LQ9 was not available until 2003 - and was equipped with the 4L60, was DBW only, and used the 1Mb LS1-B PCM. Your 2001 LQ4 is DBC, uses a 4L80, and a 512Kb LS1-B PCM.

A Full-Flash of any LQ9 calibration is not compatible with your PCM nor your transmission.

The LQ9 had a slightly more aggressive High Octane Spark Table, but a LESS aggressive Low Octane Spark Table (given the LQ9's higher compression ratio).

Rather than employing a copy and paste approach to tuning, connect a WBO and give the CALC VET method, or the AutoVE / AutoMAF methods (in combination) a try. With your LQ4 calibration there is room to lean out the PE a little (GM runs them rich as a margin of safety), and to have the PE active sooner - both of which may translate into more power output (or sooner power output).

Spark advance tuning can be a controversial topic. My perspective is that you can tune spark advance marginally "on the street", but a chassis dyno tune is necessary for optimal spark timing maps.

Regards,
    Taz

OK I'm going to sound like a total nube but I kinda am is a WBO a wide band oxygen sensor? if so were do I get one. Thanks Taz, Ive been reading for a while and there are so many abbreviations on here its hard to remember them all. I was thinking about having blackbear tune it but I really want to learn this gas tuning my self.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by hogdoghd View Post
    OK I'm going to sound like a total nube but I kinda am is a WBO a wide band oxygen sensor? if so were do I get one. Thanks Taz, Ive been reading for a while and there are so many abbreviations on here its hard to remember them all. I was thinking about having blackbear tune it but I really want to learn this gas tuning my self.
    My apologies ... sometimes I get in a hurry, and forget to explain abbreviations / jargon.

WBO = Wide Band Oxygen Sensor
    DBW = Drive By Wire - electronically activated throttle body (TB) and gas pedal (APP)
    DBC = Drive By Cable - cable activated throttle body (TB)

I'm sure the folks at Black Bear would do a good job of the tune. However, if the engine is stock or near stock - you could do it yourself with a little reading and some safely executed trial and error.

I find the greatest "seat of the pants" improvement in the driving experience of a stock / near stock vehicle is via tuning the transmission parameters. Your truck should have a "Tow / Haul" button. This lets you develop a transmission tune for normal use, and a specific tune when in Tow / Haul (Performance) mode.

Tow / Haul mode could be configured for towing duty, spirited driving, or race track use. I would also recommend a transmission reprogramming kit - like a TransGo 4L80E-HD2 kit. These are easy to install, include a new separator plate, and between the kit and changes to the tune - the truck could certainly be configured to have Jekyll / Hyde personalities.

Just my perspective ..

Regards,
    Taz
    Last edited by Taz; January 22nd, 2012 at 08:59 AM. Reason: - typo

Cool thanks Taz, thats exactly what Im looking for. Jekyll and Hyde and that's what Im trying to do with the trans tune Im just trying to limit some of the trq and traction control parameters for now.

I changed several parameters in the tranny am I off base? Should I turn the abuse management back on if so why? Thanks again for the help
    Last edited by hogdoghd; January 23rd, 2012 at 12:39 AM.

Any ideas any one is my tune OK to start with or should I turn the torque management back on? Anyone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast