Thread: EFILive for Dummies - How to guides

Lifetime Member

Default EFILive for Dummies - How to guides

Rich@Doghouse Diesel is one of our Cummins Beta testers and over the last few months he has put together some really good user guides for those of you who want to learn more about EFILive on the Cummins.

Here are the pdf downloads if your interested in taking look.

EFILive for Dummies, Part 1 - Tune Tool.pdf

EFILive for Dummies, Part 2 - Scan Tool.pdf

EFILive for Dummies, Part 3 - Custom Mapping.pdf

EFILive for Dummies, Part 4 - Blending and Masking.pdf

Prior to being hosted in PDF form on our server, these were posted by Rich on Cummins Forum. You'll find some good discussion points on these documents in the EFILive sub forum on Cummins Forum. http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/efi-live/

Cheers
    Cindy

Is there anymore info out there on the tuning side of things for tips and tricks? Like timing and duration for building power or fuel economy and what limits to stay within for keeping all the cells in check for Cummins? Don't want to add 5000us and 45*... lol.
    Be nice it's my first time!

Lifetime Member

There is a little info here that may help you out: http://atptrucks.com/blog/efilive-diesel-tuning-basics/
    2019 Ram 6.7L 68RFE
    2003 VW Jetta TDI

Quote Originally Posted by ATPCummins View Post
    There is a little info here that may help you out: http://atptrucks.com/blog/efilive-diesel-tuning-basics/
    Thanks.
    Be nice it's my first time!

When creating a map, I would recommend to checkmark the Show Units box in the map properties Data/Row/Col tabs... it makes it easier for someone else who is looking at your map.

Senior Member restless@westnet.com.au's Avatar

is there a efilive for dummies on the petrol engines ?

Quote Originally Posted by restless@westnet.com.au View Post
    is there a efilive for dummies on the petrol engines ?

Wouldn't that be nice
    2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 6.0L Automatic 4 X 4

Quote Originally Posted by GLBWAMR View Post
    Is there anymore info out there on the tuning side of things for tips and tricks? Like timing and duration for building power or fuel economy and what limits to stay within for keeping all the cells in check for Cummins? Don't want to add 5000us and 45*... lol.
    Is there any more information? That was quite general and I would like to know more!!!

Lifetime Member

That is all that I have put together right now. It should give you enough info to get going. Then, when you come up with specific questions on your tune you can post them in the forum.
    2019 Ram 6.7L 68RFE
    2003 VW Jetta TDI

That is all that I have put together right now. It should give you enough info to get going. Then, when you come up with specific questions on your tune you can post them in the forum.
    Thank you Mike For writing that article it was well written and geared towards beginners (me) but I thirst for more!

Coming from a gas tuning background, I am having a hard time determining the reason that we have pilot injection and how it affects the main fuel injection.
    From the little I understand, it seems that once the engine is up to speed at cruising speed you dont want much advance

So the initial questions I have are
    1. Since diesel takes time to burn and it burns under combustion, why would there ever be negative numbers in that table?
    2. What exactly is a mm3 and why does it go from 0-150? I assumed it was a % throttle but that doesnt really make sense.

Thank you for the great article but I just want to know more about how this stuff works!

This is my stock chart from the timing calculator. Why is that one cell red all by itself? Is this like a strims/ltrims tables in the gas world where it adapts over time?

Code:
    FUEL TIMING CALCULATOR

Each cell in this table contains the percentage of fuel pulse width that will occur before, at or after top dead center (TDC). After making changes to the data in this table, click the [Apply] button to update the fuel timing angles in A9209 so that the specified percentage of the fuel pulse will be delivered before, at or after TDC.

For example, assuming the fuel pulse width for a particular cell (as shown in A9203) is set to 500us:
    If a cell contains 200%, the start of the pulse will occur 1000us before TDC.
    If a cell contains 100%, the start of the pulse will occur 500us before TDC.
    If a cell contains 50%, the start of the pulse will occur 250us before TDC.
    If a cell contains 0%, the start of the pulse will occur at TDC.
    If a cell contains -50%, the start of the pulse will occur 250us after TDC.
    If a cell contains -100%, the start of the pulse will occur 500us after TDC.
    If a cell contains -200%, the start of the pulse will occur 1000us after TDC.

This calculation uses values from A9220 “Fuel Pressure” and A9203 “Main injection pulse width”. If the values in those tables are not accurate, then the calculator may not produce accurate results.

For example, the first column of data in A9203 may be calibrated to be all zeros which will cause this calculator to set the corrsponding first column of data in A9209 to be all zeros.

You may prevent this calculator from adjusting any cells by masking those cells in A9209 using the “Enable/Disable edit mask (Ctrl+E)” toolbar buttons before clicking on the [Calculator] button.