Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CM2100A CSP5 User Guide

Default CM2100A CSP5 User Guide

I'm having a problem upgrading to CSP5. The user guide doesn't give explicit instructions on how to save and exit each of the processes describe in the guide only how to get into them and what to set. My biggest challenge though is with setting up the FlashScan V2. None of the settings are being downloaded to the V2 and on page 14 it shows read and program buttons, neither of which are on the PID selection panel.

So question is how do we really configure the V2? The user guide is clearly wrong.

I think I figured out where I needed to be to program the V2. The documentation needs to be improved substantially.

Quote Originally Posted by cjowett View Post
    The user guide is clearly wrong.
    Mmm ok, which parts please so we can correct them.

The documentation needs to be improved substantially.
    Pretty broad statement but that is fine. Which part was confusing? Not sure what else we can do apart from step by step instructions and screen shots to go with it as is the case now. We are certainly open to suggestions because it is tricky to write how to guides for beginners when the author knows how it works.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Thanks for the quick response. Page 11 has 3 screen shots. How did you transition from screen 2 to 3. Actions taken to leave screen 3 to transition to the correct screen on page 12 is also not specified. When I finally discovered the correct PID selection screen I could not save that to the V2 because too much memory was required. I had to discover for myself where all the extra controllers/selections were made and remove them to reduce memory usage.
    As a career software developer and IT director I would suggest you hire a technical writer to produce your documentation. Whoever is writing it now is far too familiar with the product and leaving too much to be taken for granted. Your power users who make their living tuning no doubt don't have a problem with it but new purchasers will.
    I bought a product for Cummins diesels and can only license it for Cummins and/or Duramax and yet I see among the downloads several files that have nothing to do with Cummins or Duramax. An overall product overview of what is where and what is relevant and what isn't would be very helpful.

When I started I read all the manuals a couple times before I even had the hardware. I downloaded the software and spent a lot of time clicking around and seeing what things did. I read through tons of forum posts. When I got my V2 and went to a class from starlite, I thought it was all pretty easy and straight forward. Manuals cant cover everyones different learning styles, what was easy for one person may be hard to understand for others. I think there is more value in documenting new features as they get added and then having a group of people (this forum and others) that you can ask specific questions. With EFILive being a small company, I'd rather have them spend time with controller development not spending money on hiring someone to write documentation.

I deal with software every day that costs thousands of dollars with manuals that are the worst I've ever seen, yet we keep using the software. Not saying that I would want that, but perfect manuals are not a requiremnt for me, especially when support is good. Better software is more useful than a perfect manual IMO.
    2010 Dodge QCSB 6.7 Auto

Lifetime Member

The software is constantly evolving. The software has changed dramatically since these features were first implemented, however finding the time to re-write historical documentation is difficult. We are hoping over the Christmas/New Year period that we will have the ability to bring these back up to date.

I agree with you, the flow between those steps is confusing and leaves alot to be desired for a new user. While it doesn't fix your documentation issue today, I do have a solution for you to get you over this hurdle.

The Duramax 2.8L DSP document does contain the segue between those 3 screen shots, and explains in greater detail how to program your FlashScan/AutoCal device for switching tunes. That document can be found here http://download.efilive.com/Tutorial...er%20Guide.pdf Page 7 is the equivalent page reference.

Cheers
    Cindy

Thanks Cindy. I will have a look.
    To some extent I agree with Wyofreeride, I appreciate efforts going into quality software (which this definitely is). But at the same time, quality documentation turns frustrated customers into raving advocates.

Thanks Cindy. I will have a look.
    To some extent I agree with Wyofreeride, I appreciate efforts going into quality software (which this definitely is). But at the same time, quality documentation turns frustrated customers into raving advocates.
    Agreed. Good documentation makes everything better.
    2010 Dodge QCSB 6.7 Auto

As a small company it is hard to get the balance right though, with developers needing writing complex documentation it means nothing else is getting done. Some people won't even open up those documents while others will read them word for word, I don't know what the best solution to please everyone is.
    Could be worse, it could all be translated from Chinese to English, sometimes that is even worse than nothing.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

I am a developer and I hate HATE writing documentation, that is why I am glad that we have technical writers to sit in the meetings and document as we develop.

Besides that, what exactly do I need to get so I can add CSP5 besides this? I already have EFI Live V2.
    http://shop.socaldiesel.com/efilive-...-pass-through/

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast