Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Still Working on a "Smokeless" tune....

That's pretty cool rich, I really enjoy seeing the approach others take on different matters. I tell many of my customers there are 100+ ways to make 100hp, all going back to specific truck and driver! :thumbup:
    -Kory

I'm out of ideas? Nah trick... When in doubt, 0xFFFF it out!

http://www.PPEI.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Dmaxink View Post
    That's pretty cool rich, I really enjoy seeing the approach others take on different matters. I tell many of my customers there are 100+ ways to make 100hp, all going back to specific truck and driver! :thumbup:
    Exactly.

This is the whole reason I don't do mail order tunes, except on a VERY limited basis. Most of the time I refer folks to you or Les, as I know thats a big part of your business.

I won't tune a truck unless I have it here, with a few exceptions.

What works well on one, may be total garbage on another.

I simply don't have the extra time to support the mail order tunes that they really need.

1207 HP / 1612 TQ

I know this thread is about Smoke but, I wanted to point out the extreme passion I've seen from Rich with this stuff. I'm sure this pilot work is something he would have been into anyway but, because of the rattle my truck has..... he's gone above and beyond to tune it OUT.

Here's a video of my truck and it's injector rattle ( you might want to sit down lol ) The video DOES exaggerated the sound. My truck has quiet a bit done to it along with pretty large injectors which, has made it need a lot of fine tuning. It's been like this for 5 yrs now and until now, it's not been able to be tuned out.

I've tried several revision tunes and have a load more to try thanks to Rich. The tunes where values were decreased I experienced more rattle and smoke. That same tune Rich mentioned he tried on other trucks and his and they were quiet as can be. Just goes to show..... As he said, just messing with the pilot has netted, smoke-no smoke, rattle - less rattle. No power has been compromised though

I'll post a video once we've got it un-rattled which Rich is well on his way to doing !
    '07 5.9 Mega 3500
    11.7 @ 118 / 8200lbs

I couldn't believe how bad Ty's truck rattled. I've never heard anything that loud.

His truck is the reason I put these 200's in mine so I could get it closer to how his was set up. Otherwise, our setups are pretty similar except I run a lot smaller injectors.

His truck WOULD NOT respond to lower pilot timing values and quantities. All of the tuning I did yesterday was to specifically address the rattle and smoke he has.

1207 HP / 1612 TQ

nice

Just to put into perspective how much of an impact the pilot really has on smoke, engine noise and EGT's, I hear more noise from my accessory drive items than I do from the motor at cruising speeds.

Today I was getting on the highway and the ramp was fairly long and had a good grade to it. I rolled into the throttle up to approx 3 grand and all there was was a light haze behind the truck and EGT's never went over 900.

1207 HP / 1612 TQ

What you are saying is beginning to make sense to me now. With the bigger injectors things may work backwards from what I was originally thinking.
    06 Dodge RCLB 2500 5.9L Hamilton, Maxxspool, Wicked Diesels, Bullseye Power, Industrial Injection, South Bend Clutch, Amsoil, K&N, ARP,EFILive, T&C Diesel, ATS, GDP...

^^^^^^ agreed.
    Les Szmidt
    2007 5.9 Dodge Ram
    2014 Ram 3500 Aisin tuning Emissions Equipped
    EFI Live Cummins BETA Tester
    Silver Bullet Tuning
    silverbullettuning@gmail.com
    www.youtube.com/ljszmidt
    http://www.facebook.com/SilverBulletTuninig

Quote Originally Posted by CIDRAUGHN View Post
    What you are saying is beginning to make sense to me now. With the bigger injectors things may work backwards from what I was originally thinking.
    Backwards for me too, still trying to understand how introducing more fuel before the main event gains (x3) better results. Worked for me though, so....
    I'm really kind of in awe today, after making some changes to the pilot. No more 13-1400 RPM "crackle", which has been SO frickin' annoying. Slight haze at cruise lessened (hard to do at 6500ft elev). Not to mention the power does come quicker. Kudos to Rich again.
    Joel
    -6.7 powered 2006 Ram QC 4x4 Auto, EFI Live, Garrett, Thuren.

-08 Chevy Silverado 4x4 5.3, built 4l70E, COMP cam and Thorly headers.

I didn't get it at first either.

Everything I was trying was reducing the pilot quantities and timing.

As soon as we started increasing those values everything smoothed right out.

Other things I've noticed is a faster start and smoother idle.

One of the things I've been gauging the pilot values on is how much the main injection duration fluctuates as it idles. Where the idle values used to swing several hundred uS, right now they average about 40-50 uS in variation.

1207 HP / 1612 TQ

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast