Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Still Working on a "Smokeless" tune....

Quote Originally Posted by TexasCummins View Post
    On my truck (stock turbo and injectors) I increased the quantity, timing and pulsewidth of the pilot event, I even mixed and matched settings but it seems the more I add the more it sounds like a 24v. I backed it off and it sounds better but I start to get the "knock" back which is what I want to tune out, y'all know the knock I'm talking about? If you walk to the front of the truck and listen you'll hear it.

you sound like u may have already tried it, but have u advanced your main timing up to around tdc? rich mentioned doing this to help with the rattle/knock and it worked. still has a little knock if u stand in front of it and the hoods up, but just sittin in the truck with the windows down, its pretty damn quiet. the little knock i still have was my reason for wondering if i can tune more out.

My main timing at idle in park and in gear was about -2*, I'll bump it up one and see what happens.
    EFI Live - The Smarter way to tune!
    2006 Ram 2500 4x4

I added a little pilot mm3 and timing in the daily driving range, and at idle. I can say for sure that there is less smoke when I roll into the throttle after changing gears, and at mid-range acceleration. The engine seems a little more responsive. Also, the exhaust didn't have quite as strong of a smell to it today, but it was also about 20* warmer than it has been. I honestly didn't notice any difference with how the engine sounded - mine really doesn't have much of a rattle/knock to it.
    2019 Ram 6.7L 68RFE
    2003 VW Jetta TDI

For reference, S363 and 90's. When I added 50% (bare in mind here that 50% of 3-10mm3 is not as substantial as it sounds) Pilot mm3 to my tables, it just smoked more. Seemed to spool just a hint quicker, but nothing improved during DD'ing conditions. Next plan is to go back to scratch, take away 3* of Pilot timing, then if that doesn't work, go back to scratch, and take 40% mm3 away from Pilot. AFTER I try out a particular boost table somebody was withholding out on me...lol.
    06 5.9L, EFILive / Silver Bullet Tuning
    06 LBZ, EFILive

Remember what I said earlier.....

Tiny changes to the pilot make a HUGE impact.

I'm talking 1* and 1 - 2 mm3 numbers.

If you take big swings at the pilot, you'll overshoot the sweet spot.

Save the changes to the duration table until you get it close and then make SMALL (i.e. 5 - 10%) changes to very small areas of the duration table.

1207 HP / 1612 TQ

FWIW, I'm at roughly 2.5 - 6mm3 pilot in the daily driving range (stock duration), and 10 - 26*. I have added a little more - will see what happens.
    2019 Ram 6.7L 68RFE
    2003 VW Jetta TDI

Added 2* to my pilot timing and smoke seemed not as black, but still smokey. One thing that did change was when engine was under load and low boost, throttled hard, it rattled. Just posting my experiences.
    06 5.9L, EFILive / Silver Bullet Tuning
    06 LBZ, EFILive

I wonder if nozzle type has a effect??

Rich, who's nozzles are you and Ty running??

I remember Ty mentioning Exergy, which use a different cone angle nozzle than factory, but don't know if that is the case with his current ones or yours....
    Les Szmidt
    2007 5.9 Dodge Ram
    2014 Ram 3500 Aisin tuning Emissions Equipped
    EFI Live Cummins BETA Tester
    Silver Bullet Tuning
    silverbullettuning@gmail.com
    www.youtube.com/ljszmidt
    http://www.facebook.com/SilverBulletTuninig

Quote Originally Posted by 2007 5.9 View Post
    I wonder if nozzle type has a effect??

Rich, who's nozzles are you and Ty running??

I remember Ty mentioning Exergy, which use a different cone angle nozzle than factory, but don't know if that is the case with his current ones or yours....
    I'm not sure what Rich was using but, mine are pretty large Bosch Motorsports S.A.C nozzles. I'd wonder if that was a cause if, my truck didn't rattle with the Extruded stock nozzles. Spraying outside the bowl has never been a problem so, I'm pretty positive that's not the issue now.
    '07 5.9 Mega 3500
    11.7 @ 118 / 8200lbs

Quote Originally Posted by triton View Post
    I'm not sure what Rich was using but, mine are pretty large Bosch Motorsports S.A.C nozzles. I'd wonder if that was a cause if, my truck didn't rattle with the Extruded stock nozzles. Spraying outside the bowl has never been a problem so, I'm pretty positive that's not the issue now.
    Ty, the Motorsport nozzles that Exergy uses are of a differnt spray angle the stock nozzles. You can call Greg or PM Weston to confirm...but that very well may be part of your issue. The factory nozzles that came on yours, mine, and all of ours are of a 124° and the Motorsports nozzles are of a 143° variety.

So if your truck didnrt rattle with the factory 124° EH nozzles but it IS ratteling with the 143° nozzle your currently using...I'd start to think that might be a large part of it.
    Les Szmidt
    2007 5.9 Dodge Ram
    2014 Ram 3500 Aisin tuning Emissions Equipped
    EFI Live Cummins BETA Tester
    Silver Bullet Tuning
    silverbullettuning@gmail.com
    www.youtube.com/ljszmidt
    http://www.facebook.com/SilverBulletTuninig

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast