Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VIN license question

Default VIN license question

Just got my FS V2 and software in Nov. 2011 and am trying to use it for the first time. I'm having major headaches with everything I try to do with this stuff so I'll try to be brief and not let my frustration show too much, but I am exceptionally pissed. First, when I try to flash the PCM it tells me to register the VIN. Well I can't figure out how to do that. Nothing is even slightly clear about how to proceed. It just tells me that it's done reflashing, then when I go back and read the contents of the PCM it didn't change anything. The only codes that I received are the serial number and registration key, neither of which will work. It will give me an authentication code but there is nowhere I can find to input it either in the software or on the website. All I can find is a page where I have to pay for a license; well I got 2 with this mess when I bought it. WTF?? Nothing is clear and I'M NOT STUPID, just really, really frustrated!! Please help

Licensing a controller

The first time you flash an unlicensed controller you will be prompted to license the controller. I have attached a couple of screenshots that depict what you should expect to see when licensing a new controller.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	License ECM #1.png 
Views:	301 
Size:	104.8 KB 
ID:	12621Click image for larger version. 

Name:	License ECM #2.png 
Views:	254 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	12622

Software Registration

The details from the Blue registration card need to be entered into the 'Help->Register EFILive' menu option in the Tune Tool. Essentially that will stop any Demo Mode messages you may be getting when the FlashScan V2 device isn't connected to your PC.

Auth Code

The Authenticate (Auth) code is only needed when you are purchasing additional VIN licenses. It is not associated to allocation of already owned licenses.
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Thank you very much. I will try that tomorrow. Sometimes I get a little out of sorts, which may, in fact, make me stupid.............

That worked, thanks.

Would it be possible to change the way or atleast add the option to say hit the Checkl Status button and then the license button on a new ecm.

rather than trying to write to the ecu, get told to license, wait 15 seconds, then turn ignition back on, license, turn off, then on and write.

The wait-cycle is needed to allow the ECM to reset from having the EFILive bootloaders executing. The most stream lined licensing process is actually the way BBF does it. It prompts for the controller to be licensed as part of the flash process and continues after user input.
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tre-Cool View Post
    Would it be possible to change the way or atleast add the option to say hit the Checkl Status button and then the license button on a new ecm.

rather than trying to write to the ecu, get told to license, wait 15 seconds, then turn ignition back on, license, turn off, then on and write.
    We did that with the new design in version 8. It is not a trivial task to change V7 to do it that way - otherwise I would have done it long ago.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Good to hear. I know it sounds pedantic to be complaining about it, but at work I find it's good to complain to the "programmers" so they can see if they can improve things.

:-)

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tre-Cool View Post
    Good to hear. I know it sounds pedantic to be complaining about it, but at work I find it's good to complain to the "programmers" so they can see if they can improve things.

:-)
    Exactly! If no-one ever says anything then only stuff we care about gets updated/changed.

Sometimes there's a reason we can't/won't change something - like the V7 VIN licensing.
    Sometimes its just something we may not have considered and we're happy and able to change it.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

While i have your attention, would you be able to put in a "End Result" calculation for the E38 and or other ecu's that use the B0141 + (B0142 - B0141 x B0145) x B0146 x B0148 = Final Commanded Fuel Ratio calculation.

I.e Click on a cell within say the B0141 table and have the program calculate and then show the number in a small text screen or even popup as you hover over the cell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast