Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a parameter that specifies the position of the Oxygen sensor? E38

Lifetime Member

Default Is there a parameter that specifies the position of the Oxygen sensor? E38

is there a parameter that specifies the distance from the engine for the oxygen sensors?

This is very very important when adding headers and achieving a more smoother tune.

I have not seen this on the Efilive calibrations, but I've seen it on fords.
    "All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."

Not as far as I know. As you've probably found, the further away the O2 is from the head, the slower the response to fueling changes. This can induce some "hunt" as the RPM follows the CL fuel cycle. If you get the fueling spot on ( between +2% / -5% trim ) then it should be fine. The other thing to look at in the E38 is {B1101} through to {B1108}. I believe that the ECM will alter it's CL fueling strategy in idle mode to compensate for the lower gas speeds even in stock form.

Simon

Lifetime Member

There has got to be a parameter for it as LS3s have the sensors located very near the exhaust port and the z06 has them farther down the stream. Yet both cars w-o headers will achieve a PERFECT afr at idle with the stock cam of course and no radical afr swinging if at all.

Ross can you look into this?

Thanks

Got any examples of the swinging?

With a stock log I just checked, there is about a 3 second cycle time with an L77 ( 6lt with AFM and auto in gear, idling ). STFT's were almost "0" for this data.

My car on the other hand, L76, manual, 220/224 @114 4>1 long headers, can take up to 6 seconds to cycle, but where the trims are very close to "0", the cycle time drops to about 3.5 seconds.

I don't think the cycle time is only affected by the distance from the port, but also the amount of STFT correction involved.

I've had a play with {B1101} through {B1108}, Ireally htink you need to ensure "CL Idle Mode" is being used. I'm assuming that the ECM knows that the idle gas flow will be much slower than when crusing, so it changes it's CL behavior to suit.

Here's an example of CL Idle mode off....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E38_CL_Idle_off.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	221.4 KB 
ID:	12642

And here's one with CL Idle mode on....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E38_CL_Idle_on.jpg 
Views:	339 
Size:	219.6 KB 
ID:	12643

Simon.

Fords have a parameter like that called "transport delay"...its a tabled based on ms....we usually have to raise it between 10-15% to control what you are talking about.

It has to be in there as its most certainly a calculated time to control pulse width from feedback..

Howard

www.redline-motorsports.net

1-954-703-5560

2006 ZO6 895/866 with APS TT
    2010 SSRS Camaro HTR-900TT (798/801)
    2011 HTR-850R Camaro
    2012 ZL1 Auto (10.33@135 MPH) Video Here!

Lifetime Member

I know... i've been playing with the close loop mode table and it shows some change, but not the one you would expect.

Lifetime Member

I have no idea if there is any truth to this, but the only reason I can imagine needing that information is if they're using widebands that are fast enough to pick up the individual cylinder pulses and using individual cylinder adjustment.

Ira

Lifetime Member

Needing this information will make larger cams not "swing" when the car changes AFRs... AFRs will vary in a sinusoidal way from 14.0 to 15.5 or so. It will make the car change power drastically and you would have to drop timing and KILL it in order to avoid it, and there goes your fuel consumption!

STFT will react depending on the calculation it makes. On the LS1 pcm which we have control over the multipliers and base adders and using a road runner, there is practically NO way to solve this.

THe only way is to run FULL open loop and with the big climate changes we get here, its just not an option on a customer's car.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Needing this information will make larger cams not "swing" when the car changes AFRs... AFRs will vary in a sinusoidal way from 14.0 to 15.5 or so. It will make the car change power drastically and you would have to drop timing and KILL it in order to avoid it, and there goes your fuel consumption!

STFT will react depending on the calculation it makes. On the LS1 pcm which we have control over the multipliers and base adders and using a road runner, there is practically NO way to solve this.

THe only way is to run FULL open loop and with the big climate changes we get here, its just not an option on a customer's car.
    You can increase the time it takes to go closed loop and there is another parameter for temp for heater (forget the name off the top of my head). These two changes help dramatically

There are other things to consider that Fords have control of including HEGO tip temp change, exhaust flanges will change temp as well, etc. maybe this is available in GM

Paul Meister
    EFI Calibrator/Managing Member, Torq Speedlab, LLC
    Specializing in late model Ford, GM and Dodge EFI Calibrations
    SCT, EFI Live, HP Tuners, FAST, BS3 and much much more

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast