Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: getting STS kit

This build is a father and son build....I have my 91 buick regal for the college car!!!!! LOL 10.4 @ some mph...can't seem to find the slip at the moment..think its still in the regal. (in 1/8th mile)

We want to build the car so its fun to drive and I didn't really care to do a cam..since everyone around me has done so and I want something different and more fun (i didn't say easier or not, just wanted something no one would expect from my car.

here is a picture of what the engine looks like now....yes, that is dryer vent tubing, haha.

I STILL have the STOCK MUFFLER...stock exterior...3 gauges (a-pillar) B&M ripper shifter and thats really about it so that tells you what my car looks like..trying to stay sleeper. I do realize that the turbo will be heard.

should i save up and just get a built 346...similar to what the guys at EPP did? or if I don't hammer on the car too bad and get a good tune in with low spark and good AFr will it be ok with the valvetrain mods that I plan on ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new intake, dryer tubing1.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	399  
    01 T/A WS6 #4984 STOCK 342HP and 352TQ [/b]MODS:Too many to list, PM...funny rear mount.. father/son build.
    [Quote :ur car is sneezing!!!!]
    I KNOW KUNG FU.
    My STS build: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631954
    453HP 475TQ @6psi
    .....CAM'd, IC'd, and 7psi'd #'s coming.....

double or triple your fuel tables. I drop timing where I think I will see boost to 10 deg and work my way back up. also, tune in open loop and mind your mulitipliers. sorry to have confused you!
    Good luck and have fun!
    Eric

thanks man, so start timing at around 10 degrees for most of the table (under throttle) and work back up from there?
    01 T/A WS6 #4984 STOCK 342HP and 352TQ [/b]MODS:Too many to list, PM...funny rear mount.. father/son build.
    I KNOW KUNG FU.
    453HP 475TQ @6psi

Thats the way I start boost timing adjustments because it easier to approach knock limit than to try to eliminate timing to eliminate knock. The stategy of knock is to pull out set amount the increase in .5 or so degrees untill it sees knock again.
    Eric

Lifetime Member

you don't want to put the timing right on the edge of timing.
    1. what if the environment changes and you're back in knock territory?
    2. max power doesn't necessairly happen right before knock. especially on turbos.
    figure it out empirically by measuring times or at least comparative power produced (i don't believe in absolute dyno numbers), not by trying to get it almost explode

also, with the MAF installed runing the 5lbs of boost off of the STS kit..

what would you want part throttle AFR to be? and how would you change it? would you change the stoich reference so that it will be 'safe' at part throttle too?

also WOT on the MAF, obviously that comes down to the actual numbers in the MAF; SO assuming that you just change those numbers(raising them)/ and your PE numbers to around a ~11.5 or so

I have my MAF dialed in so far, and WOT slopes from a 12.8~13.0 up high
    I KNOW KUNG FU.
    453HP 475TQ @6psi

info....
    I KNOW KUNG FU.
    453HP 475TQ @6psi

now.. with the MAF installed
    controlling the AFR and keeping the LTFT's down being under forced induction you would simply change the MAF numbers to a higher value to add fuel.

So getting ready for forced induction would you scale up the MAF numbers from a certain frequency on up by a certain percentage?
    I KNOW KUNG FU.
    453HP 475TQ @6psi

You should be using PE to add fuel when boosting, not the MAF. It should be tuned with out boost.
    01 ECSB 1/2 ton 4x4 Forged 5.7 LS1 GMC

Custom KBracing front mounted, BW S480, intercooled turbo

Quote Originally Posted by kbracing96
    You should be using PE to add fuel when boosting, not the MAF. It should be tuned with out boost.
    so you just go in the PE table and set it down to a lower number such as around 11.5 or so and then leave the MAF numbers alone
    I KNOW KUNG FU.
    453HP 475TQ @6psi

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast