Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: E39 GMH 3.0 SIDI: 91 vs 98 Octane

Hey Ross, I understand about the time needed to find the table, then the on going support etc. However, I'm pretty sure that the throttle limit below 3000 hurts the all important take off and foot to the floor response. I know that in my car, you definitely feel the throttle open up at 3000, the comparison difference is huge. While the MAP remains at 100kPA the only difference is the ETCTP %. If I fudge the torque map to make the ECM calculate less power in that area, I get a little more throttle and it is slightly quicker off the line.

For now I'll concentrate on the rest of the tune

good read so far gents... Have you had a chance to verify your findings on a dyno as yet?
    I have been asked to look at a sidi manual ute, he has put a cat back exhaust on it and from his feed-back that its lost all its bottom end. (which doesn't surprise...)

Will post my findings here as we go, but not expecting too much as the ecotech's were time consuming for little gain in my experiences....

You can't lose what you never had........

All of these motors in stock form are really lethargic off the line. In the one I'm playing with, You can feel it pick up loads of power as the throttle opens up at 3000RPM, even though the MAP is at 100kPA before that point. I've worked the torque map significantly in the low RPM range to make the ECM think it's not making any power. The result was that the throttle did open up a bit quicker and the car did respond better, but it messes up the rest of the tune badly and not worth playing with in any serious form.

I might have to try some work on a dyno where I can really mess with the torque map and try and get 100% throttle under 3000, but only on the dyno as it'll really make the car dangerous. I'm still looking for a manual diff to try out as well.

Simon.

Do we no exactly what date they started using the E39 instead of the bosch pcm's?

If it's the 3.0L, it's an E39 ECM, that engine never used Bosch. If it's the 3.6L, then 'sometime' in 2011, probably with the SeriesII release, but, I could be wrong.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

here is a read.... if it helps with E69 if it is still on the agenda..

BadFileFormat.tun

Has there been any progress on tuning the E39 3.0 SIDI, I would guess there would be a few fundamentals to follow by now?

I guess it depends on what you want to do. I'm not sure how many shops are doing SIDI work so I can only give personal experience form the one that I've worked on.

Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by auspeed View Post
    Has there been any progress on tuning the E39 3.0 SIDI
    Unfortunately GM still stick it in cars and it still makes torque in all the wrong places so there's no progress as far as they are concerned
    Sorry I shouldn't be so mean, but take note of my sig, I am talking from experience.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

using good high octane fuel and getting the trans right will go a long way to making it more economical and better to drive. It still isnt the same as the low rev, high torque driving feel of the v8 and supercharged 6 holden motors but it can still be fun

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast